• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

News: Canadian Carl V Phillips (THRo) Merges with CASAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Hi folks! Just an interesting bit of news in the harm-reduction world to check out. Canadian Carl V. Phillips, the man behind TobaccoHarmReduction.org (THRo) has joined forces with CASAA (Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association) in a merger.

Tobacco Harm Reduction Non-Profit Announces Merger, New Director

If you've kept up on Carl's postings via Twitter or elsewhere, you know that he's a pretty scholarly guy, bigtime...but as he notes in the article, he's been "without institutional support" for quite some time. CASAA does a lot of great & very visible advocacy for smoke-free alternatives...but has been lacking in eggheads. (No offense Carl, lol!) So this is a perfect fit, for them to team up & combine forces.

"Formally uniting our efforts will allow us to achieve so much more than we could have accomplished separately," noted [CASAA's Elaine] Keller.

Yay! :D Anyway, just wanted to share, even though it has more of a direct impact for the States than for here. Good to see a Canadian going places. And it's always good to see consumer advocacy for smoke-free alternatives getting more able & y'know...more difficult to dismiss.

That's all for now. Happy vaping & vape proud folks!
PeCrr.gif

Hi. Thanks for the shout out and observation about the advantages of this -- it matches our assessment too.

Just for the record, I am not Canadian anymore. That country made it pretty clear I was not welcome there anymore, doing the work that I do. I am in Pennsylvania USA now, one of key places for THR (though that fact has largely flown under the radar).

--Carl

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Just for the record, I am not Canadian anymore. That country made it pretty clear I was not welcome there anymore, doing the work that I do.

--Carl

Once Canadian, always Canadian Carl. It's in your blood! I realize that on a professional level, you've been pretty shabbily treated here by some...but please don't lump us all into that bad-apples category, lol.

I hope the day will come where you return home & feel good about it. Until then, we wish you all the best as you tarry abroad, doing much-needed work that we all thank you for.

FVxh8.gif

Hi. Thanks for the shout out and observation about the advantages of this -- it matches our assessment too.

You're welcome, & right on. Happy vaping & vape proud!
PeCrr.gif

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
Snip -
Yay! :D Anyway, just wanted to share, even though it has more of a direct impact for the States than for here.

Direct impact maybe, but you can be sure any impact there will be felt here. HC still relies on FDA statistics for smoking. I'm surprised we don't have "Surgeon General" warnings on our cig packs.

CASAA has representatives in 5 countries so any progress will have more that local impact. We are all in this together.

Relax and Enjoy!

Wow, was it the government? Just curious as we're generally so awesome :)

I will probably write more about this and post it as the history of THRo. The quick answer I am willing to give now is "yes": The national government and its funding agencies etc. is hostile to THR, though it was the Alberta government that was the worst. They basically shifted all of their anti-smoking resources to an anti-THR campaign to try to block everything I was doing.

That said, it was the pseudo-public-health people outside of government that were worse still.

Honestly, I know that the reputation is that Canadians are nicer than Americans and such, but that is so much not my experience that the stereotype just baffles me.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
Well,puff your chest,that only means you were a threat to them and their brain-washing schemes,meaning you were doing an awesome job.

Kudos,not many people up here can say the gov threw everything they had at them.

Thanks. I really appreciate hearing that. :)

In that case; I'll say it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread