News Report Cites Our Fourm--Slams E-cig Marketing and Assertion that E-cig is a Homeopahic Drug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
As reported here by Associtated Content, all eyes are on us:

"While the debate over the safety of e-cigarettes rages on forums (link to our Forum), there is one segment of the smoking population that might have been overlooked: those who should not be smoking in the first place, namely kids. Marketers of e-cigs take umbrage at the thought that bright colors, and chocolate or fruit flavorings are produced to appeal to an underage crowd; they are going so far as to call liars all those who even suggest this kind of marketing gimmick as being targeted to kids. Of course, it is hard to argue with the fact that bright colors and chocolate or fruit flavors generally do appeal to kids and young girls in particular."

The 3 page report goes on to state:

Perhaps the oddest take on the debate thus far is the assertion that an e-cigarette is a homeopathic drug. Put forth by an avid seller and blogger, the logic is easy to follow, flawed though it may be. It also points to the muddling of various aspects of the smoking debate - taxation, tobacco industry involvement or lack thereof, appeal to age groups, smoking cessation, FDA and WHO authority to govern or regulate nicotine, and of course import rules - that have bled into the dialog over the safety of e-cigarettes.

As you can see by reading this article–many people, groups, and agencys are indeed reading and watching our posts with a close eye.—--Sun

See Misleading E-Cigarette Marketing Examined - Associated Content

Johnsky

Mar 9, 2009
Thank the sweet science this is written for a reader group more intelligent than the usual knee-jerk e-cig haters.

Though, the logic in principle is the same.

This author, like many other thought free drones out there, has jumped on the "they must be selling to kids because there's flavor." bandwagon.
The ONLY difference here, is this mindless drone has actually picked up a dictionary at some point in it's history.

Explaining the fact that adult humans posses taste-buds might be a little too much for this one to comprehend. As would be the concept that we also favor some colors over others.

I'm not sure if he's angry at the fact that it's phallic (we know that's what it boils down to psychologically, hatred for anything that reminds them of that in which they're inferior)... or if he wants an apology for me diverting from an all white wardrobe and my avoidance of flavorless tofu.

Adult humans have taste-buds and favor different colors.

If he wants to argue that point, I'd be glad to strip the paint from his car and restrict his diet to spam.

Lets not confuse "Associated Content" with the "Associated Press". Associated Content is basically a site that lets anyone with an opinion write an article and pretend to be an expert. It's a more of a blog site than a news site. There are tons of sites like this out there. Granted, AC seems to be better than your typical MFA article directory, but it's no more authoritative. Looks like the "expert" who wrote this piece just saw today's report on CNN and threw something up in a half hour or so.

Not to say that this shouldn't be taken seriously, but it's no different than the same thing being posted on blogspot.

As I said there are tons of these article directories on the net. Time to fight fire with fire. Lets work on some articles as a collaborative project and post them in the directors. Other websites will pick them up, and we can get our side of the story out there instead of just Sylvia's.

Last edited:

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Faethe--Nicotine water invoked the Homeopathic durg assertion to skirt around FDA appoval as a "Drug"--Full studies and hearings were done and years past before nicotine water made the market again---Sun

Oh I know :D Nicotine water sounds really...disgusting? What was it used for? Oh wait - you mean someone was selling nicotine in water and stating it had beneficial use :shock: ? How in hell is that possible?

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Oh I know :D Nicotine water sounds really...disgusting? What was it used for? Oh wait - you mean someone was selling nicotine in water and stating it had beneficial use :shock: ? How in hell is that possible?

Here is the link to the timeline of the battle that Nicotine Water had with the FDA--Sun

See Nicotine Water

poeticwomyn

Mar 10, 2009
Missouri
IMHO, seems to me that e-cigs are something that "sneaked in the back door" while the government wasn't looking. So now there is going to be a lot of media hype and scare tactics put through the media until some control legislation is passed. Because, good grief, no way can a full grown adult human make their own choices about what is good for them with out some governmental legislation over it. I am new to e-smoking but absolutely love it as an alternative to cigarettes. But I do believe that if it doesn't get very popular very quickly we (as e-smokers) will not have a collectively loud enough voice to stop legislation that will, at best, dictate where and when I can buy and use my supplies or, at worst, ban it all together.

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
IMHO, seems to me that e-cigs are something that "sneaked in the back door" while the government wasn't looking. So now there is going to be a lot of media hype and scare tactics put through the media until some control legislation is passed. Because, good grief, no way can a full grown adult human make their own choices about what is good for them with out some governmental legislation over it. I am new to e-smoking but absolutely love it as an alternative to cigarettes. But I do believe that if it doesn't get very popular very quickly we (as e-smokers) will not have a collectively loud enough voice to stop legislation that will, at best, dictate where and when I can buy and use my supplies or, at worst, ban it all together.

It combines two things - cigarettes and tech.

It's like the i-cig.

I would contend that most of us know the difference and as for throwing this article together in a matter of minutes--that seems a bit impluasable as the Link to our Forum to some forthought---Sun

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know the difference, but AC's name and logo are very similar to the AP's. Some might say confusingly similar. It would be very easy to think they were the same thing. At any rate Associated Content is no more a media source than a blog site.

And as far as the "article" being thrown together, one of the cited sources is the CNN piece that aired today. A Google search for "ecig fda" brings up this forum in the #4 position. That thread mentions "the homeopathic route". Then a Google search for "e-cigarette homeopathic" brings up one of her other sources in the #1 position. So it could very well have been thrown together in a matter of no time.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know the difference, but AC's name and logo are very similar to the AP's. Some might say confusingly similar. It would be very easy to think they were the same thing. At any rate Associated Content is no more a media source than a blog site.

And as far as the "article" being thrown together, one of the cited sources is the CNN piece that aired today. A Google search for "ecig fda" brings up this forum in the #4 position. That thread mentions "the homeopathic route". Then a Google search for "e-cigarette homeopathic" brings up one of her other sources in the #1 position. So it could very well have been thrown together in a matter of no time.

Newcastle--Maybe you are right--glad a Report can get thrown together so fast these days--Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread