Newton, MA - flavor ban & more

Status
Not open for further replies.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I sent the following to Teresa Kett, who (according to David at vape Daddy) is the contact person on this issue:

Her contact info:

617-796-1420 and tkett@newtonma.gov

Dear Ms. Kett,

I would like to express my concerns regarding the ordinance under consideration by the Alderman regarding electronic cigarettes.

I feel that many aspects of this proposal are poorly considered. I managed to quit a 35-year pack-a-day habit using e-cigarettes, and Vape Daddy in Nonantum is one of the only places nearby where I have found quality vaping materials.

The proposed restriction of e-cigarette sales to only those places that cell cigarettes would mean that Vape Daddy and other similar stores would have to close. The only e-cigarettes available would be the low-end "cigalikes" sold at convenience stores and similar outlets.

These cigalikes just don't work for many smokers trying to quit.

With regard to banning flavors, I do not see the sense in this. There are many great restaurants in Newton, and they don't all serve the same food. This is because adults like flavors, too. Smoking-cessation aids like nicorette are available in fruit and other flavors. Vodka is available in many different flavors. And most ex-smokers find that non-tobacco flavors help them to stop smoking more effectively. Speaking of which, the "cigarette-flavored" cigalikes are also flavored; e-liquids don't contain tobacco, and so a flavoring must be added to them to get them to taste (vaguely) like a cigarette.

I also think that a legal age of 21 is not a good idea, particularly since the much more dangerous cigarettes and tobacco products can be purchased at age 18. E-cigarette use is much less harmful than smoking tobacco products. I strongly support preventing the underage sale of e-cigarettes, but the age should match that of regular cigarettes. Would you want an 18-year-old to start smoking, just because they can't buy vaping equipment?

I very much hope that the Aldermen will re-consider this well-intentioned, but seriously flawed ordinance.

Thank You

graffiti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2014
CT
Putting in an order for 5gal. of 100mg nic juice very soon. I live in NY, and I can see it coming. It isn't about "health" or "safety" or even "the children", it's about another revenue target, ripe for the picking. To hell with them. I will go off the grid, so to speak.

For the individual, that's fine, but for the shop owner or juice maker, it will be a massive financial hit. To get a decent little shop going it's going to cost you a minimum of $25k for stock alone. There aren't many people who can lose $25k and not blink an eye.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Putting in an order for 5gal. of 100mg nic juice very soon. I live in NY, and I can see it coming. It isn't about "health" or "safety" or even "the children", it's about another revenue target, ripe for the picking. To hell with them. I will go off the grid, so to speak.

Vape party at the coalyard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread