Nic Salts eLiquid - 50/50 PG/VG hits the throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamiester

Aug 20, 2019
Howdy All,

Glad to be here with my first ever post. I just switched to vapping from smoking for over 15 yrs (10-15 cigs a day). I bought my self a Pod base smok Infinix with two different brand/flavor Nicotine Salts eliquids.

One is NKD American Patriots Tobacco with 50mg Nicotine and 50/50 PG/VG
Other is Mango twist by PodJuice with 35mg Nicotine and 50/50 PG/VG

Problem is, NKD liquid is hitting my throat really hard, same with PodJuice but not as hard. Not sure if its due to the brand or nicotine level or PG/VG. I understand VG gives you throat hit and PG gives you vapor production (among other things), but upon doing some research I got conflicting information, some saying reduce PG and others saying reduce VG.

So do I need to look for a nic salt juice that has lesser PG or VG and/and different brands? Also could you recommend the best PG/VG ratio and any websites where I can get them from?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Howdy All,

Glad to be here with my first ever post. I just switched to vapping from smoking for over 15 yrs (10-15 cigs a day). I bought my self a Pod base Smok Infinix with two different brand/flavor Nicotine Salts eLiquids.

One is NKD American Patriots Tobacco with 50mg Nicotine and 50/50 PG/VG
Other is Mango twist by PodJuice with 35mg Nicotine and 50/50 PG/VG

Problem is, NKD liquid is hitting my throat really hard, same with PodJuice but not as hard. Not sure if its due to the brand or nicotine level or PG/VG. I understand VG gives you throat hit and PG gives you vapor production (among other things), but upon doing some research I got conflicting information, some saying reduce PG and others saying reduce VG.

So do I need to look for a nic salt juice that has lesser PG or VG and different brands? Also could you recommend any websites where I can get nic salt juice with different pg/vg ratio?

Thanks in advance.
Hi and welcome,
Since both juices are the same PG/VG ratio, the only difference between them is the nicotine level.
If they are too strong, select a juice with a lower nicotine level.

HTH
I

Shamiester

Aug 20, 2019
Hi and welcome,
Since both juices are the same PG/VG ratio, the only difference between them is the nicotine level.
If they are too strong, select a juice with a lower nicotine level.

HTH
I

Hey thanks for that. So you believe its because of the nicotine level? I get bad throat hit with 35mg as well. Other reason is Im using nic salts and going any lower in MG will deceive the purpose and I won't get the proper nicotine, if that makes sense?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Hey thanks for that. So you believe its because of the nicotine level? I get bad throat hit with 35mg as well. Other reason is Im using nic salts and going any lower in MG will deceive the purpose and I won't get the proper nicotine, if that makes sense?
PG can give throat hit, but not as much as nicotine. Different salts are different also. Unfortunately, the infinix may not handle juice higher than 65% VG. You'll end up with dry hits, which would give even more of a throat hit.

Are you chain vaping, by chance?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
You may need to vape more frequently with a lower nicotine level.

Cheers
I

Shamiester

Aug 20, 2019
PG can give throat hit, but not as much as nicotine. Different salts are different also. Unfortunately, the infinix may not handle juice higher than 65% VG. You'll end up with dry hits, which would give even more of a throat hit.

Are you chain vaping, by chance?

Thanks, have you tried infinix with more than 65% VG?

I believe I'm vaping quite often, could say chain vaping, but its only been two full days since I started and because of the throat hit I'm not quite enjoying it. I'm however getting my nicotine fix which is still keeping me away from cigarettes.

Do you know any brands that i can get 40/60 PG/VG with 35mg?

Reactions: stols001

Shamiester

Aug 20, 2019
Welcome! 50mg nicotine is a high concentration. Everyone is different but I find 25mg nic salt to be harsh. Keep experimenting and you will find your sweet spot.

Thanks. I believe I'm okay with 35mg. The problem is I live in Australia and eliquids with nicotine are not legal here, so I have to get them shipped from US/Canada or New Zealand, which make its quite costly (e.g. US$35 for 30ml) and delivery time of at least a week to keep on trying. But I guess there is no other choice.

Shamiester

Aug 20, 2019
I believe the problem may be the PG, but more likely, that's being worsened by the heat generated on the coil from repeated cycles.

You might just want to try a higher power device.

I'm planning on changing the POD every 2-3 refills. So far I have only changed one pod.

Is there another better high power open pod system device available?

Shamiester

Aug 20, 2019
Simple solution... go to the drug store and get some Glycerin (USP) Mix some in your juice. This will increase VG ratio and lower nic level. You will just have to vape a bit more but at least you will enjoy it. Try 2 parts juice to 1 part VG. It will dilute the flavor though.

Thanks, that's not a bad idea and I will try this for the 2x35ml liquid I already have.

But the question is, what's the long term solution. The reason I choose the pod base system was the convenience of it all, where you just change the pod and off you and don't have to worry about liquids and coils and tanks etc and just enjoy it, if that makes sense.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Thanks, that's not a bad idea and I will try this for the 2x35ml liquid I already have.

But the question is, what's the long term solution. The reason I choose the pod base system was the convenience of it all, where you just change the pod and off you and don't have to worry about liquids and coils and tanks etc and just enjoy it, if that makes sense.
The highest power pod with nonreplacable coils I know of is the Orion DNA go, but that might be Overkill. I personally don't like that style, so I'm not well versed, but you might also look at the Orion DNA quest. I like my pods to be coil independent, like the Smok Nord and geekvape frenzy.

Shamiester

Aug 20, 2019
The highest power pod with nonreplacable coils I know of is the Orion DNA go, but that might be Overkill. I personally don't like that style, so I'm not well versed, but you might also look at the Orion DNA quest. I like my pods to be coil independent, like the Smok Nord and geekvape frenzy.

Thanks, I did look at smok nord and compared it with infinix before buying and ended up buying infinix.

I would really like to try few things first with infinix, like lower pg/vg and/or nicotine to see if I can find the right balance and stick to infinix but if not then I will look for alternatives. Thanks heaps for your help.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Thanks, I did look at smok nord and compared it with infinix before buying and ended up buying infinix.

I would really like to try few things first with infinix, like lower pg/vg and/or nicotine to see if I can find the right balance and stick to infinix but if not then I will look for alternatives. Thanks heaps for your help.
The main issue I see you running into, if it is the culprit, would be a dry wick/overheating if you're chain vaping. Higher PG might help the wicking issue and prevent dry/hot hits, but will add it's own form of harshness. Higher VG will only make the issue worse.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
Does it have to be a pod system? Try going for something like the Aegis or OBS Cube mini's you'll save money and probably find them better. They are both easy to use and fit nicely in the hand.

There are so many variables it just a case of trial and error I'm afraid. For instance, I couldn't use Salts and still can't, they just always seem to harsh, so I used regular juice with 12mg, worked fine, and now use 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread