Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
That's a good piece, but I would like someday to see us move away from...

--The idea that nicotine is a poison
--The idea that nicotine is "the most addictive substance known to man"

The first argument is a red herring, and the second simply isn't even close to being true.
And those arguments are going to come back to bite us some day.

What would be better is if we were simply free to argue that we vape because we liked to smoke, period.

And if we could get the world to understand that nicotine really does have tangible health benefits...
And if we could get them to understand that nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine...
And probably not much more addictive either, without the MAOIs in tobacco...

Then people would start to see vaping and nicotine use in a completely different light.
And perhaps, someday, such arguments will neuter the ANTZ once and for all, and truly set us free.

cmknight

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2013
China
--The idea that nicotine is a poison
--The idea that nicotine is "the most addictive substance known to man"

The first argument is a red herring, and the second simply isn't even close to being true.
And those arguments are going to come back to bite us some day.

I'm a newbie to vaping, so please don't climb all over me. Two questions ... How is nicotine being a poison a red herring, and, how is nicotine being the most addictive substance known to man not even close to being true? As far as I know, nicotine, in high dosages, IS a poison, and it IS one of the most addictive substances known to man, if not THE most addictive. That's what makes it so hard to quit ... the strength of the addiction. Is there something I'm not seeing?

Can you provide me with links which support your statements?

I just want the information so I can make my own informed decisions, I'm not trying to call you out on your opinions.

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
Nicotine is a poison is a red herring as caffeine is a poison, alcohol is a poison and several other things that in high enough dose are lethal.
Irrelevant to any part of the debate other than packaging.
I think the most addictive thing known to man is pure hyperbole and used to justify a ban or continued use depending on which side your on. Also addiction is not the issue yet, the health implications of continuing the addiction are. Again comparing clean nicotine use with fresh air misses the point. It's about replacing smoking as the delivery method for nicotine.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm a newbie to vaping, so please don't climb all over me. Two questions ... How is nicotine being a poison a red herring, and, how is nicotine being the most addictive substance known to man not even close to being true? As far as I know, nicotine, in high dosages, IS a poison, and it IS one of the most addictive substances known to man, if not THE most addictive. That's what makes it so hard to quit ... the strength of the addiction. Is there something I'm not seeing?
One of the primary principles of toxicology is that the dose makes the poison.
What that means is that pretty much anything can be "poison" if you take more of it than your body can handle.

You can even drink too much water and die from water intoxication.

Calling nicotine a poison is just a way to demonize it's use, and it is tactic we should not allow to pass unchallenged.
Heck, you could just as easily call nicotine a medicine if you wanted.

Check this link out...
Nicotine Effects

As for the addictiveness part, here is a link, and there are further links in the references...
Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Technically, nicotine is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties. However, after coadministration with an MAOI, such as those found in tobacco, nicotine produces significant behavioral sensitization, a measure of addiction potential.
Tobacco smoke contains the monoamine oxidase inhibitors harman, norharman, anabasine, anatabine, and nornicotine. These compounds significantly decrease MAO activity in smokers. MAO enzymes break down monoaminergic neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. It is thought that the powerful interaction between the MAOI's and the nicotine is responsible for most of the addictive properties of tobacco smoking.

This is also an interesting read...
Professor: Nicotine does not cause cigarette addiction | The State Press - An independent daily serving Arizona State University

But most of the evidence I have seen is anecdotal, and right here on this forum.
It is the collective experiences of us vapers, which I have been reading for nearly four years now.

It is a very common experience for vapers to find their need for nicotine diminishes over time.
Or even disappears completely.

And for many people these changes can happen very quickly.

That is not to say that I don't think there are people that might be strongly addicted to nicotine.
I would not be the least bit surprised to find that there is a certain percentage that really does have a strong addiction.

But I think the general public vastly overestimates the role of nicotine in the addiction to smoking.
And vastly underestimates the many other factors involved in the addiction to smoking.

And this is exactly why electronic cigarettes work, while all other nicotine replacement products fail.

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest

Can you provide me with links which support your statements?

I just want the information so I can make my own informed decisions, I'm not trying to call you out on your opinions.
Those opposed to e-cigarettes are famous for lying and over exaggerating.
Here's 1 link: Click Here

As a new member, you will see ANTZ mentioned in post and wonder what it means.
Kristin (one of our core members) is the one who coined ANTZ.
The acronym ANTZ stands for Anti-Nicotine and Tobacco Zealots
:)

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
The saying that nicotine is the most addictive substance known to man is completely made up. It's based on a statement made by the Surgeon General, which in turn was based on surveys of drug addicts who smoked. There are no chemical tests or studies that show that nicotine is "most addictive" nor are there human or animal studies which prove such a claim. Just the assumption that because some drug addicts who quit their hard drugs still smoked and said they couldn't quit it must mean nicotine is more addictive. Nevermind that 1) most smokers lie about WANTING to quit (as opposed to knowing they should) and 2) the drug addicts obviously went through a lot to overcome a horrible drug addiction, so how likely would it be they'd also want to give up smoking?

Even the ANTZ counter their own claims. One minute they claim big tobacco has made cigarettes more addictive than he-roin to hook kids, but the next they claim that smokers shouldn't have any problem waiting several hours in those non-smoking areas created to protect bystanders from them. Of course we have all seen how certain drug addicts act after only a short time away from their drug. I wonder if most people would prefer a crack addict or a nicotine addict next to them on a 14 hour flight and if they'd still buy the silly "more addictive" claim after the trip? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread