Nickel Purity setting and Nichrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
Haven't been here in a long time and find the new developments with temperature control very interesting.
I was reading about the "Nickel Purity" setting on the Infinite/SXK devices.
I see most people are using pure nickel to build their coils but since this stuff is very low resistance you need to use thin wire and even then your builds will probably be larger than when using Kanthal.
However, Nichrome is a Nickel/Chromium alloy. So would it be possible to use thicker Nichrome and lower the Nickel Purity setting with usable results? Or is the range of this setting not wide enough to cover alloys?

Last edited:

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
i do believe Nichrome80 is 80% nickle so if you have purity settings on your device i would think that the 80 setting would work..
this is just my opinion but it makes sense......if your able to use 3rd world (sub-par) Ni wire w/purity settings which these settings are made for then why not...

Reactions: yo han

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
i do believe Nichrome80 is 80% nickle so if you have purity settings on your device i would think that the 80 setting would work..
this is just my opinion but it makes sense......if your able to use 3rd world (sub-par) Ni wire w/purity settings which these settings are made for then why not...
it presumably depends on what the extra 20% is!!

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
brother it's not complicated if it's 80% nickle then that's what it is....not trying to create a complicated mess like what's over in the Ti & safety thread.

it's really simple and that is what the purity settings are made for, who knows what the Chinese or who-ever else in 3rd world countries put in their wire....if you have purity settings you should be able to adjust to the percentage (settings) no-matter what alloy is used.

Last edited:

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
the question is about purity settings w/some new devices and nichrome80....

but yes i would agree with you on a TP device without purity settings

i'll catch ya down at nolin or cumberland and do some fishin & share some brews.
always a pleasure to see ky folks, respect.

i'm done...asta la-vista

Last edited:

refuzeandrezizt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Western, KY
And I wasn't arguing, just stating the obvious I guess. I would love to know that this option would work, as I use NiCh80 in everything that isn't TC, so I have a crapload of it laying around. Would much prefer to use it VS the Ni200. Although I'd almost be limited to using 22 gauge and under, which I have none of. Two wrap coils wouldn't appeal to me at all. But, C-Ya-Later I guess!

refuzeandrezizt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Western, KY
I was just brainstorming guys. I've read up on Nichrome but I have no idea what the scale/range of the Purity settings on these devices is. My Flask clone hasn't arrived yet so perhaps someone owning a device with this board could give it a try?

Brainstorming is not a bad thing, and I would be curious to know if it works or not as well. Maybe someone will give it a go and post results. I've gotten pretty good at working with the Ni wire at this point though, so I doubt that I would change it. I would, however, like to try some Ti wire though. So mods that would allow that to work without "guessing" at the temps are interesting to me.

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
...if you have purity settings you should be able to adjust to the percentage (settings) no-matter what alloy is used.
IF the 10-100 scale on this chipset would be real world percentages then yes. The problem is we have no idea what the 10-100 setting stands for. Perhaps their nickel wire is anywhere between 95 and 100% so the 10-100 scale only lets you fine tune anything between 95 and 100%

balazsk

Aug 29, 2013
Budapest, Hungary
You can find how Nickel Purity works in this thread: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/index.php?threads/676506/
To answer your main question it's not possible to do TC with NiCr at least with the current technology. The Chromium stabilizes the resistance of the alloy and decreases the temperature coefficient of resistance nearly to 0. Therefore the chip can't measure the temperature change of the coil.

Last edited:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Yeah check my thread @balazsk listed for full discussions.

I just found this datasheet and it says the temperature coefficient is 0.00011, that is one sixtieth that of Ni200 and one eighth that of Stainless Steel which is the lowest coefficient wire that any TCR-adjustment mod can currently use.

So no it won't work with any current TC technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread