Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
https://www.scribd.com/doc/312130971/Nicopure-Complaint

Put the link in 'plain' so people can go directly to the site. copy/paste to browser...[/plain]

edit
Click on full screen on the post above that has the doc, instead - thanks nicnik - see below....

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Summary - with extraneous stuff omitted :- ) Although it's worth reading the whole thing - many good points made....

FIRST CLAIM FOR RELIEF Violation of APA—Unlawful Statutory Interpretations

32. The above paragraphs are incorporated herein by reference.

33.The APA, 5 U.S.C. § 706(2)(A), (C), provides that a reviewing court shall hold unlawful and set aside agency action that is arbitrary, capricious, an abuse of discretion, or otherwise not in accordance with law,” and that is “in excess of statutory jurisdiction, authority, or limitations, or short of statutory right.”

34.The Deeming Rule violates those provisions because, inter alia, its definition of “tobacco product” and attendant proposed reach of its provisions is unambiguously foreclosed by, and is an unreasonable construction of, the text of the Act.

SECOND CLAIM FOR RELIEF Violation of APA—Arbitrary and Capricious Agency Action
(snip)

45. The net effect of the Deeming Rule is a regime that arbitrarily frustrates innovations and advances in public health while preserving the status quo that existed in 2007, i.e., a market dominated by cigarettes. The Deeming Rule does not explain how this result serves the public interest or the Act’s goals of “pro-mot[ing] cessation” of tobacco use and “reduc[ing] … the social costs associated with tobacco-related diseases.” Act § 3(9).

THIRD CLAIM FOR RELIEF Violation of APA—Unlawful Cost-Benefit Analysis
(snip)

49. Among other things, the Deeming Rule grossly underestimates the number of PMTAs that manufacturers will be required to file, and that FDA will be required to review. Although the Deeming Rule estimates that 750 PMTAs will be filed annually, Nicopure alone will need to file many hundreds of PMTAs just to cover its existing product offerings. Countless other manufacturers will also have to comply.

50. A proper cost-benefit analysis, as required by law, would demonstrate that the Deeming Rule
imposes severe regulatory burdens on manufacturers, including small businesses such as Nicopure, by requiring compliance with extensive premarket approval, reporting, recordkeeping, inspection, labeling, manufacturing, testing, and other requirements. These costs vastly outweigh the benefits generated by the Deeming Rule, particularly given that vaping devices and e-liquids do not contain tobacco and/or do not pose the public-health risks associated with products that contain tobacco.

51.The Deeming Rule’s flawed cost-benefit analysis infects the entirety of the Rule, and therefore requires the Rule to be vacated and set aside, because FDA could not rationally have adopted the same regulatory scheme if it had performed a reasonable cost-benefit analysis.

FOURTH CLAIM FOR RELIEF Violation of First Amendment
(snip)

54.The Deeming Rule violates the First Amendment by prohibiting manu-facturers, including Nicopure, from making truthful and nonmisleading statements regarding vaping devices, e-liquids, and related products.

55.The Deeming Rule violates the First Amendment by prohibiting manu-facturers, including Nicopure, from engaging in other forms of protected expression, including by distributing free samples of vaping devices or e-liquids.

RELIEF REQUESTED

WHEREFORE, Nicopure asks this Court issue judgment in its favor and against Defendants, and to grant the following relief:

A. Vacate and set aside the Deeming Rule;

B. Declare that:
i. the Deeming Rule is contrary to and exceeds FDA’s statutory authority under the Act and the FDCA;

ii. the Deeming Rule is arbitrary, capricious, an abuse of discretion, or otherwise not in accordance with law;

iii. the Deeming Rule’s cost-benefit analysis is unlawful; and

iv. the Deeming Rule is contrary to the First Amendment.

C. Issue a preliminary injunction enjoining enforcement of the Deeming Rule and prohibiting FDA from taking any action under the Deeming Rule pending resolution of this action on the merits;

D. Expedite resolution of this action on the merits;

F. Grant Nicopure reasonable attorney’s fees and expenses; and

G. Award such further relief as this Court deems just and proper.

Last edited:

wiredlove

Master Lurker
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
KY
Someone has some money...

"Covington & Burling LLP is an international law firm with offices in Beijing, Brussels, London, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, San Diego, andWashington, DC. The firm advises multinational corporations on significant transactional, litigation, regulatory, and public policy matters. Covington & Burling LLP consistently ranks among the top 20 on The American Lawyer’s "A-List", based on financial performance, pro bono activity, associate satisfaction, and diversity.[2] As of 2015, it is the largest law firm in Washington, DC.[3]"

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I salute the American people for standing for their rights. At least you have some action taking place. Not sure in Europe anyone is trying to do anything.
Well, there were a couple of lawsuits filed regarding the TPD -- but I believe the plaintiffs lost. :cry:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
https://www.scribd.com/doc/312130971/Nicopure-Complaint

Put the link in 'plain' so people can go directly to the site. copy/paste to browser...[/plain]
Every time one of those scribd things is posted, I click on the fullscreen thing in the lower right corner, and that brings you to the webpage.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'll have to buy some juice from Halo...
It's my patriotic duty.

It's really nice. Their menthols are brilliant. I've been using them for years. You can also get unflavored from them. Off to buy another bottle or two from Jason--in gratitude! :)

Reactions: MacTechVpr

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I'll have to buy some juice from Halo...
It's my patriotic duty.
I like their "Freedom Juice". Expensive and too strongly flavored, but both are easily remedied by adding VG and/or PG.

ETA: if you're gonna dilute, either add nic or buy a higher nic version than you otherwise would.

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
In layman's terms...

- They're grubbing too much power
- They're grubbing too much money
- They're calling stuff tobacco that isn't
- They're ignoring science
- They're flaming idiots

...or something like that...either way, I like it!

I am CRYING I am laughing so hard. Thank You, I needed that! I really, really needed that. Flaming Idiots. OMG LMAO. Ever read something and although it's not really hilarious you just can't stop laughing? I think because I didn't expect the Flaming Idiots. The previous lines were so serious then WHAM. I'm a box blonde what do you expect. Sounds like we might have GOD on our side-- that law firm is no little kitten.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Regardless of how this pans out... I'll gladly buy a couple of bottles of Tribeca now. But I can't do this too often because it's just too pricey for yours truly.

I can only hope I don't get "hooked" on this stuff again thereby limiting Mrs. Kodiak's shopping sprees to just 3 or 4 per week. :wub:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
"Covington & Burling LLP is an international law firm with offices in Beijing, Brussels, London, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, San Diego, andWashington, DC. The firm advises multinational corporations on significant transactional, litigation, regulatory, and public policy matters. Covington & Burling LLP consistently ranks among the top 20 on The American Lawyer’s "A-List", based on financial performance, pro bono activity, associate satisfaction, and diversity.[2] As of 2015, it is the largest law firm in Washington, DC.[3]"

Covington & Burling has represented large cigarette companies in lots of litigation since the 1970's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread