Nicotine Addiction Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

riddle80

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2008
Nashville, TN
While searching the FDA site for nicotine references, I came across a nicotine vaccine, that's right... a vaccine..NicVAX.

NicVAX - Nicotine Conjugate Vaccine to prevent and treat nicotine addiction

NicVAX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not on the market yet, but it's almost through the trials and is expected to be out in the next year or so. Through initial studies, it's believed to double the chances of quitting smoking by blocking the nicotine from the brain.

As if we don't feel alienated enough, we're now going to need a vaccine. This amplifies my thought that government is trying to phase out nicotine addiction for good.

According to THIS article from late 2008 the President of Nabi Biopharmaceuticals says:

We are excited that these initial results strongly support our hypothesis that production of anti-nicotine antibodies can be accelerated and elevated with this revised regimen," stated Dr. Raafat Fahim, President and Chief Executive Officer of Nabi Biopharmaceuticals. "The Phase 2b proof-of-concept trial results, completed in November 2007, demonstrated a clear and positive correlation between antibody levels and the ability of patients to quit smoking and remain abstinent. We believe that significantly enhancing the antibody levels in the majority of immunized subjects would increase the likelihood of success in the upcoming pivotal studies. The final results of the current immunogenicity study will provide critically important information that will be incorporated into the design of the Phase 3 clinical trials. Phase 3 is on track to be initiated before the end of this year."

The government already believes that nicotine addiction is a disease, so I guess this disease that deserves a vaccine. Personally, I think that they just don't know how else to deal with cigarette addiction and the billions it's costing the government each year in healthcare costs, so they're footing the bill to nicotine regardless of the many chemicals tobacco companies have introduced to cigarettes to make them addictive and most importantly..unhelathy.

Where do we draw the line? What about all the studies that show that nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine?

chokmah

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2009
Austin Texas
Well that sounds interesting. Msybe by the time that gets around I will have lowered my nicotine to 0 and not have to worry about a vaccine. I have quit alcohol and biting my nails but have yet to successfully quit smoking analogs. I pray this time it will work.. Last attempt I lasted 11 days, and went back with a few analogs but not many. I had 4 in one day and 3 the other days for a total of 13 analogs. I know I can do this, I just hope the components hold up long enough for me to get down to the no nic carts. I am on mediums atm but at this point I am willing to try anything cause I need to quit.

DisMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2008
They said Chantax was wonderful too, at least you could quit taking it when the side effects got to bad. I think I will wait a year or two after it comes out and see how bad it gets for those who are willing to be the first.

Yes, let's count the deaths from the vaccine. Anybody know how many died from Chantix yet?

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
If this vaccine works by blocking nicotine from entering the brain, then it will necessitate painful withdraw symptoms. Why would someone choose this over cold turkey? The withdrawal would be the same, except you couldn't even minimize the withdrawal with NRT. Chantix worked by tricking the brain into feeling like it already had "enough" nicotine - this at least bypassed withdrawal. Common sense and book knowledge rarely meet in this world:rolleyes:.

I foresee the antis trying to put economic pressure on us to take the damned vaccine. They already threaten our employability, then offer us "free" NRT to quit so we can keep our jobs - of course, they then say that they won't hire someone using NRT because they can't pass a continine screening:-x.

I think we should all start our own lucrative businesses and hire only nicotine addicts - not necessarily just smokers, but nic users of all sorts:shock::cool:. When we and the cockroaches survive nuclear war living on stale Twinkies, maybe they will get the idea - we will survive ANYTHING.

Sorry, got off on a rant there:oops:. They are spending way too much money trying to keep me from my precious nicotine and not enough trying to minimize my health risks. Why don't THEY find a safer way to get my nic fix? They spend tons of money on the wrong principle. They should start looking at the principle that I WILL NOT let go of the nicotine anymore than they will let go of the air they breathe, so maybe we should make nic safe. Currently there only approach is to try to separate me from my best lifelong friend, as if that is going to go over nicely.:rolleyes:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Fine rant, Nicowolf, and you certainly might be correct about economic pressure. Can't you just see an employer announcing insurance breaks to all smokers who submit to the nicotine vaccination (free of charge in the corporate lunchroom from noon to 3 p.m.). It would be subversive not to go along with the boss and his desire to save money for the benefit of all. Non-smokers will be delighted that the company is so understanding and so willing to help. Right ...

I can easily envision such a scenario within the next five years as the noose tightens around all things nicotine.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Fine rant, Nicowolf, and you certainly might be correct about economic pressure. Can't you just see an employer announcing insurance breaks to all smokers who submit to the nicotine vaccination (free of charge in the corporate lunchroom from noon to 3 p.m.). It would be subversive not to go along with the boss and his desire to save money for the benefit of all. Non-smokers will be delighted that the company is so understanding and so willing to help. Right ...

I can easily envision such a scenario within the next five years as the noose tightens around all things nicotine.

The part that gets me ranting is that I can see this precise scenario happening in the company I work for next week, just let them get wind of this piece of info - and they will since they are in the healthcare field. They are already pressuring employees to submit answers to an 80-something-question survey - anonymously, of course - and healthcare screenings (e.g. blood tests, blood pressure, height, weight, etc.) in order to get medical benefits coverage through them. I am livid and taking the high road (getting medical insurance elsewhere) for now, but many are angry and submitting anyway. Some of these induhviduals are actually complying happily, thinking this is really going to benefit the "team" by showing the insurance companies that our employees are a safe bet. All the while we are being fed PR propaganda by the company and being told we should be grateful we have a job. My answer is that I am grateful I have a job, I am just not grateful that it is this job.

angel.white

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Kansas
Where do we draw the line? What about all the studies that show that nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine?
Is this actually true? Everything I've read on this site makes it seem scary! Perhaps caffeine is scarrier than I realize?
I have quit alcohol and biting my nails but have yet to successfully quit smoking analogs.
I wonder if they'll come up with a vaccine for nail biters too. :rolleyes:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
so what are they going to do about people who are addicted to the habit of 'vaping' zero nicotine.????

First, they demonize you. Then they find scientists who will say second-hand zero-nic vapor might pose a health hazard. Then a Philip Morris research paper surfaces documenting that PM invented zero-nic vaping two decades ago but found it would not be profitable, so covered up the research.

Tobacco-Free Kids comes on board to say vaping in front of impressionable children sets a bad example that could lead to tobacco addiction.

A forum for E-Vape-Zero is formed and heated discussions ensue on what flavor of zero-nic is best and whether some zero-nic liquids leave deposits to burn out atomizers. A report is made of some zero-nic liquid turning blue. Someone asks how many zero-nic puffs equal a pack of cigarettes.

And so it goes.

winterwoman

Feb 23, 2009
Oregon
what I still don't understand about all this is: how will they replace the money they make off of smokers if no one smokes cigs anymore? Oregon already taxes $1.20/pack or something like that and they're trying to pass another $.65/pack. And what about the tobacco companies? They make what - around 80 billion a year or something?

If the antis have their way and we all stop using nicotine, where are they going to get their money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread