Nicotine: Carcinogenicity and Effects on Response to Cancer Treatment - A Review. Sanner T1, Grimsru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
I found this recently published review on Nicotine and Cancer that may be of interest for whoever feel to get her/his mind into the details : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4553893/

It's a pretty technical review and certainly unbiased: "The authors declare that the research was conducted in the absence of any commercial or financial relationships that could be construed as a potential conflict of interest."

Overall, the authors don't find clear cut whether or not Nicotine is angiogenic on its own, independently form the administration route: "At present, it is not possible to draw a conclusion whether nicotine itself may act as a complete carcinogen."

However, Nicotine enhance cell survival and proliferation, which in turn may promote the growth and metastasis of existing tumors (but may also have some beneficial effect not related to cancer (my opinion)): "nicotine induces changes that mimic the effects of angiogenic growth factors".

Nicotine may act as an immune-suppressor by acting on dendritic cells, which are critical to build a T cell response to transformed cells as well as intracellular pathogens, thereby interfering with natural "Immune Surveillance": "Nicotine may inhibit antitumor immune response".

I like this review because it is relevant to us as nicotine users in vapor. We can effectively and accurately control our nicotine intake, which is relevant: "To our knowledge, there are no relevant study in humans on carcinogenic effects from pure nicotine including products, such as NRT and e-cigarettes."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread