Nicotine/Cotinine test for employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightNurse

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
SE Michigan
I have to take one of these tests as part of a pre-employment physical. I'm assuming that they are going to test my urine for cotinine. If I fail, they will rescind my job offer. I've been searching the internet and these threads for anyone else's (especially vapers) experience with this test, how long they prepared for it, how they prepared for it, and if they passed/failed. I haven't been able to find much.

I don't want to get into a political/ethical debate over the use of these tests by employers (I think it sucks and I'll leave it at that), I'm looking for info.. and maybe some peace of mind. I really want this job, and I'm stressing out about this test.

I've been vaping exclusively for about four years. No analogs. 24mg liquid, all day, every day. I mostly stopped vaping on Thursday.. mostly, because I was really going thru withdrawls and had a few puffs over the course of the day. Then I went most of Friday without vaping, but caved in later that afternoon and had a few puffs. That evening, I went and bought some 0mg juice so I'd have something to vape. So, basically, I've been nic-free since Friday evening and my test is this Friday (2/28) which means I'll have a solid 6 days of no nicotine when I go in for my test. According to the half-life of cotinine, I should be ok.. but still, I stress.

I've been drinking water and green tea, and plan to keep doing so.

I don't want to use fake urine, or someone else's pee (ew) to beat the test.

Is there anyone here that's taken the test and passed (or failed)? I'd like to hear your experience. And I promise to return to update everyone on what happens with my test. There's nothing more frustrating that reading one of these threads for pages and pages, only to have the OP disappear and not let everyone know what happened. I won't do that :)

Thanks!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
While it's an inconvenience, unjust or may feel unfair to those of us who have chosen to ingest this stuff... We're all guilty of engaging in a habit that no one can honestly dispute as being good for you. And therefore a right to be protected against discrimination.
I can and will honestly dispute that.

Nicotine improves memory, concentration, and attention, even in non-smokers.
This is well documented.

And it looks like it has great promise to help prevent Alzheimers disease and Parkinsons disease.

Reactions: kaitka

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
So we need to act like criminals now?

Absolutely not. ;)

But if we want the job, we have to act as if we want the job.

If dignity is what you're after, as long as you're being treated like a criminal by default, there isn't much to begin with is there?

Last edited:

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
This guy says grapefruit juice prevents nicotine from being metabolized to cotinine...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ion/527251-telling-doctor-2.html#post12237209

Well... I AM that guy. :laugh:

I didn't just make it up. I was doing research, and I found this article on pubmed.

From the conclusions, "Grapefruit juice inhibits the metabolism of nicotine to cotinine, a pathway mediated by CYP2A6, and increases the renal clearance of nicotine and cotinine.".

I vaped 0mg liquid for 10 days. I allowed myself to indulge by dripping some (whatever it took to satisfy me) 18mg juice every night during those 10 days. Immediately after doing so, I drank either 1 or 2 full glasses of Ocean Spray white grapefruit juice. They test for cotinine because it stays in the body longer than the nicotine. Drinking the GF simply prevents that chemical change, and the nicotine passes through relatively quickly. My test results were 0ng/ml for both substances. I have a copy of the written results.

Good luck!

Last edited:

NightNurse

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
SE Michigan
Also if it hasn't been said to the OP already, Cotinine is a byproduct of nicotine that is actually tested through a blood draw, not a urine test.

Yes, cotinine is a byproduct of nicotine and it absolutely can be detected in a urine test. Most employers/insurance agencies use the urine test because it's faster/cheaper, and cotinine shows up in the urine for a longer period of time compared to blood or saliva. Believe me when I say that I did extensive research on this.

Not only that, they did not draw my blood, and performed the urine test right in front of me.

Here is some info from the Mayo Clinic laboratories: NICOU - Clinical: Nicotine and Metabolites, Urine

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
You can be a non-smoker and test + for nicotine if you are using patches. Surely they would not hold that against you?

EDIT: I'm saying if they have an issue with vaping because so many irrational people do, not that I think we should have to hide the fact that we vape. However one of the things that attracted me switch to vaping is that I don't think my nicotine consumption is any an employer's business if not done on company time. IMO the smell of smoking tattles on you and sets you up to be disliked even if you never do it at work.

Last edited:

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
googled this:

Test Name

Cotinine, Urine

Overview

Ordering Info

CPT Code(s)

Methodology

Immunoassay

Reference Range(s)

<0.50 mcg/mL

Clinical Significance

Cotinine derives from nicotine. Once absorbed in the body, nicotine rapidly metabolizes to cotinine and cannot be detected in significant quantity in the urine. The half life of nicotine is short, about two hours. The half-life of cotinine is 10-37 hours which makes it a more reliable marker than nicotine. Cotinine, intrinsically being specific for tobacco, is the preferred marker for use of tobacco. Tobacco is the leading cause of death in the United States.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Jeeeze ... some of the flight nurses (BSNs) I knew back in Viet Nam used to smoke ....... all the time ... How things have changed!

Testing an RN for nicotine is silly to say the least!

This country has really turned itself around to everything needing to be "politically correct"!

Last edited by a moderator:

sc12

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
USA
I'm hopped up on caffeine and nicotine, gimmie all ya'lls newfangled vapor producin contraptions so I kin get all up in ever buddies bihness with my haphazardy care for nursin, custumar servises and waitressifaction, trash collectin, stock brokerating, docturin, salivatin, and chillin on the porch.

Sorry folks I just think it's ridiculous to be tested for nicotine as though vaping (or smoking) is some sort of criminal act and I hope everything works out for the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread