Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Nicotine is closely related to the B vitamin group, shares many properties with its sister compound nicotinic acid (vitamin B3) with which it is generally co-located, and has a prophylactic effect on and treats certain degenerative, inflammatory and auto- immune diseases and cognitive dysfunction. These are normally considered the attributes of a nutrient, and if the taboo did not exist then nicotine would probably be assigned a vitamin number in the B vitamin group.

It is not normally found that a nutrient destroys other nutrients, in normal consumption and use, otherwise its benefit would be limited, though some negative effects are observed related to the actual form nutrients are consumed in and therefore absorption issues may arise.

However, mega doses are another matter, and there may be such conflicts. This is a very rare subject for discussion and I'm not aware of any references for studies on such topics related to megadose nicotine consumption. One way to find such a study would be to search for megadose issues with vitamin B3 since the effects may be similar.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Ah yes of course. Thanks for that ref.

I should probably have stated that nicotine consumption is unrelated to smoking in terms of negative effects noted. It's very hard indeed to find any genuine evidence for negative effects of nicotine even with long-term megadose supply. The most significant effect that has ever been noted for megadose nicotine consumption is that long-term consumption slightly lowers the blood pressure. This would normally be considered a benefit except for those with morbidly low blood pressure.

The only negative effects I have seen good evidence for is slightly lower birthweight for pregnant women, and negative effects for patients with serious cardiac disease (or CVD to be more accurate).

Nicotine consumption needs to be seen as a separate issue from smoking. It's probably best to look at the Snus data and perhaps the NRT data resources for potential issues. As far as I am aware, the vast Snus data resource has no references to nutrient depletion, therefore nutrient depletion in smokers should probably be seen as a smoking-specific issue and thus has no connection with nicotine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread