Nicotine levels - why is 3mg making me high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
I've been vaping for years but one thing I haven't spent much time doing is DIY.

Recently I got a bottle of 100 mg unflavored nicotine liquid from MyFreedomsmoke. I mixed 1ml of the 100 mg nicotine liquid into 30 ml of a liquid that has zero Nic. My calculations tell me the mixed liquid with nicotine should now be 3 mg.

However, it is making me nicotine high which is unusual because I can vape 3mg all day without getting close to having high levels of nicotine in my system.

So what have I don't wrong? Is my calculation of the final nicotine strength of the mixed juice wrong ?

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
.9 would be 3mg. So you are at 3.3mg. Not much off but a 10% increase from your norm. And if you have sampled any of the juice before you added the nic, you are off a little more. And that is if your measurements were accurate. Sometimes syringes can be off by a wide margin.

Or your normal juice isn't really 3mg OR your bottle of nic might be a little high?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
On the subject of measurement, what are the best tools to use in DIY to measure the amounts? Is a flask with gradations in milliliters best or is there a magic tool that gets it right every time?

I'm new at DIY after vaping since 2010 and have my first 2 liters of 100mg/ml nic in shipment right now, along with some tools, but I need to know what to obtain to make sure I can measure easily and accurately with the least risk of spillage and contamination. I have a box of blue nitrile gloves and I understand that inhalation is a hazard even with 100mg nic base.

Is there an equipment list somewhere on ECF that I should see? A link to a good article about how to DIY safely and easily would be appreciated.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Some folks do it by liquid with either graduated cylinders or syringes, and some mix by weight using a relatively sensitive scale. There are several threads about working by weight, but I do it by volume. YMMV.

You can check this post with the basics and links. Guide to DIY Flavoring

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Everyone doing DIY should have a nic titration kit:
Simple, easy DIY test for mg/mL nicotine. A Follow Up on DVAP's Method

You should measure your 100mg concentrate but that does not preclude hot spots I guess. You can measure your final mix but the test can be confused by flavoring.

I've never heard of a report that MFS nic is not as labeled. I've pulled from 4 different MFS liters and all tested within the accuracy of the method (about 10%)

Reactions: AnthonyB

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've been vaping for years but one thing I haven't spent much time doing is DIY.

Recently I got a bottle of 100 mg unflavored nicotine liquid from MyFreedomsmoke. I mixed 1ml of the 100 mg nicotine liquid into 30 ml of a liquid that has zero Nic. My calculations tell me the mixed liquid with nicotine should now be 3 mg.

However, it is making me nicotine high which is unusual because I can vape 3mg all day without getting close to having high levels of nicotine in my system.

So what have I don't wrong? Is my calculation of the final nicotine strength of the mixed juice wrong ?

Your numbers Don't look too bad. And if you gave the Nicotine Base a Good Shake, maybe you Nicotine Base is Higher than it should be.

Because just like You should Shake your Nicotine Base to Minimize any "Hot Spots", so should the OEM when they Bottled it.

Maybe you could do some Home Lab work and try Testing your Nicotine Base's mg/ml Level?

Nicotine Test Kit

Reactions: AnthonyB

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Everyone doing DIY should have a nic titration kit:
Simple, easy DIY test for mg/mL nicotine. A Follow Up on DVAP's Method

You should measure your 100mg concentrate but that does not preclude hot spots I guess. You can measure your final mix but the test can be confused by flavoring.

I've never heard of a report that MFS nic is not as labeled. I've pulled from 4 different MFS liters and all tested within the accuracy of the method (about 10%)

I have got to say, the Myfreedomsmoke nicotine liquid is lovely. After my initial minor run in with nicotine high I can say I no longer get nicotine high with the MFS nicotine.

I have come to learn that the best way to ensure the juiced mixed with 100mg nicotine juice (at whatever strength one chooses) is to shake it vigorously initially and then let it steep for a day or to. The nicotine juice permeates (or steeps) throughout the juice in a couple of days thus reducing some hot spots of nicotine.

That same tank of juice mixed at 3mg gave me no nicotine high after 2 days. It was just after I initially mixed it I had some aversions to nicotine.

I am really loving the MFS so I got another litre and its now stockpiled in my freezer in 30 ml cobalt blue and Amber Boston bottles.

Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread