Status
Not open for further replies.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I'm so tired of hearing some stupid study about never smokers. Who cares?? They where never smokers and are not relevant in a tobacco vaping nicotine addiction discussion.

LOL

Who cares?

[emoji23] o_O

Studies on specifically the product in question including exactly the relevant study group are irrelevant when I have an opinion too. Because dey r da stupids an I r da smart. I no tingz... I jus no dem. I has da common sens.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Tests and studies that show cigarettes are addictive? Why would that even be necessary? Youre the only person I've even heard claim that they aren't, why would it be my responsibility to prove YOU wrong?

If tests show this, let's see them. Why is this so challenging to provide?

And depending on the definition of addiction youre right, any substance, any activity, anything could be referred to as being addictive. I was speaking in terms of the definition I posted earlier.

Addiction is defined as:

compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as ......, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal;

Yep, all substances arguably fit within this definition by plausibly at least some users.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Some just want so badly to convince everyone that vaping isn't addictive or harmful so they hitched their wagon to the nicotine isn't addictive slogan which is just silly.

And I would say, clearly, some have hitched a wagon to idea that nicotine is especially addictive, while constructing very well known and perverse agendas to play on (or prey on) nicotine users as if they are ALL ADDICTS.

So, along comes a nic user who claims to not be an addict or challenges this rather mundane description of addiction and they, THEY, are the one with an agenda? THEY are the ones twisting things to suit an agenda?

They will keep insisting nicotine by itself (raw nicotine) isn't addictive and blah, blah, blah. Who freaking cares?? No one is using raw nicotine in a real world sense. The mass majority are using nicotine in either tobacco form or vaping it and by all means are addicted to it, which is why they keep doing it and have back ups of back ups incase their rig dies. The very fact that all these ex smokers choose to vape nicotine instead of smoking proves that point, along with all those who say if they cant vape nicotine then they will return to smoking. I'm so tired of hearing some stupid study about never smokers. Who cares?? They where never smokers and are not relevant in a tobacco vaping nicotine addiction discussion. Some just need to twist the facts to suit their own opinion and agenda.

To me, there's just so much to pick apart with how the nicotine addiction is applied. Users, do it often, yes, but most if not all persons reading this sentence have done it often and lived to be very old people, as if doing it often isn't detrimental to one's life / livelihood, and arguably enhances it. Oh, and of that same bunch, most if not all started at an age when allegedly it is so highly dangerous, that just one teaspoon could end it all for you. There on the spot. That's how harmful and incredibly dangerous this nicotine thing is. But, ya know, almost ALL users of it start at that young age and magically live to be in their 80's, by doing it very often because it is, ahem, cough cough, so incredibly dangerous.

How many alcohol drinkers are choosing their otherwise alcohol tasting beverages without the alcohol in them? How many coffee drinkers will drink caffeinated coffee about as much as decaf? Why not choose only decaf, lest you be considered full blown addict with inherent problem for choosing caffeinated? This just tackles the line of thinking that claims if you cannot go without it in its most enjoyable form, then of course you, as a user, are a full blown addict. The above paragraph establishes that the degree of harm, considering the amount of use by most if not all users, is incredibly disproportionate to level of harm.

And I would just add to this that while I have experienced heavy abuse as a smoker that constantly craves a cigarette, and would say that I was addicted, I no longer find that to be the case with smoking. I am a moderate smoker who smokes because I enjoy smoking. I enjoy the taste. Imagine that. But also that I never or oh so very rarely crave a smoke, such that it is no longer addiction that compels me to smoke. I believe vaping (nic) allows for that, but also think it is more than the nic, as I can distinctly recall going cold turkey from smoking and what that is like in terms of compelling nature. In a few words, moderate smoking rocks. But I clearly recognize it is not for everyone.

Go to the smoke shop or vape shop the highest nic e juice always sells out first and the zero nic is always in stock and sells very slowly. The only ones who mostly use zero nic e liquid are cloud chasers and most of those zero nic users are your famous never smokers LOL, its fun and games for them, a hobby and nothing more.

As one who never will care to have highest nic possible in an eLiquid, then please all of you who crave that, have at it. I've found something that is, on the scale of really high nic to none at all, on the low end, and I know of dozens if not hundreds of vapers who are at levels lower than me. Plus, we know there are people that a) vape and b) do zero nic, while c) likely having own history of being addicted to smoking a cigarette very often for many years. That these people exist is a testament to how not so especially addictive nicotine really isn't.

Real ex smokers who have switched from smoking and choose to vape almost all of them use some level of nicotine. Some will start at a high level and drop down to where their comfortable and some will drip their e liquid and because of the potency of dripping they use a lower nic level. So lets not pretend here. Just about everyone seeking out nicotine from smoking or vaping is most likely addicted to it and to try to convince people otherwise is complete nonsense.

But to convince anyone that this is a detrimental addiction is highly debatable. Still debatable if person is only a smoker. Far less debatable if person is only a vaper. And as I'm feeling very comfortable on this topic, I'm okay if we stick to the debate on only a smoker and see where the chips fall at end of actual debate rather than relying on the emotionally hyped nonsense that ANTZ has perversely contributed. Even via, ahem, cough cough, science.

Also many people are addicted to nicotine patches and nicotine gum (I just don't know where some of you get your facts) and both of those have helped many quit, not everyone who uses those products quits, but some do. Lets not forget quitting any product you like to use takes will power. If your dedicated to quitting you will do it, but you have to really want to. Fact is most don't really want to quit and are trying to quit for the wrong reasons, in other words not for themselves, their not really committed to quitting.

If only measure for 'not addicted' is 'have you quit,' then this is where I introduce the 'every substance is addictive' tangent as it makes sense to do so. The fact that some people have not had any bacon in the last 10 years, doesn't mean that bacon is not addictive, for surely there are people that have not quit eating bacon and probably thousands, (if not billions) who have expressed desire to never quit eating bacon. Therefore bacon is addictive.

Why does vaping make it so much easier for a smoker to quit?? The answer is easy. Its a delivery that most smokers are familiar with, it contains Nicotine, it tastes good, and mimics smoking. Take a smokers tobacco away completely and give them a zero nic e liquid and tell them to quit smoking, LOL, isn't gonna happen because the smoker is addicted to Nicotine, duh.

And as one who has intentionally chosen not to quit smoking cigarettes, and who has covered the gamut on levels of using nicotine via smoking, I'm here to attest to the idea that smoking (nic) is not inherently addictive. And that I am alive and kicking many many years later as a non-addict, but former addict, establishes that the detrimental factor that allegedly comes with (intense) addiction to nicotine is far less than what's purported and more than 'none at all.'

Like every other substance on this planet.

sub4me

Moved On
Aug 31, 2014
USA
LMAO, you post all that blah, blah, blah and yet you still moderately smoke (sure) and vape nicotine. Then again most every vapor I know also smokes, you know the ones that buy a carton of smokes along with a bottle of e liquid. Which exactly proves the point that nicotine is addictive no matter what some crazy self anointed internet scientist try to tell everyone.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Therefore bacon is addictive.

That is FACT. Anybody who says otherwise has no common sense and is lying to themselves. It's all propaganda so they can get you hooked.

Casual bacon eater? Yeah right. Anyone who eats bacon is clearly addicted. It was the bacon in sausage that got them hooked and now they always have to have bacon in their fridge or the local 7-11 at all times. They never go out to anywhere that's not within a close proximity to bacon.

Why? Because they're obviously addicted. It's so obvious.

Dual user? You mean addict! IT'S SO OBVIOUS. There's no other explanation.

I'm tired of all these self anointed internet pork experts providing proof that bacon is in every town across the country. Doesn't change the fact that you addicts won't go to a baconless town BECAUSE YOU'RE ADDICTED!!!!

LOLOCOPTER

Sent from my device.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
@beckdg:

*sigh* you caught me. I am a hopeless bacon addict *sobs* Whatever shall I do?

Say, does any pharma company sell BRT (bacon replacement therapy) to stop my bacon addiction by feeding my bacon gums and lozenges? Now, that would be nice :) Maybe I can even stick a bacon patch on my arm. Yum.. that sure would smell nice. But would it not make me want.. uhm.. more bacon?

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
@beckdg:

*sigh* you caught me. I am a hopeless bacon addict *sobs* Whatever shall I do?

Say, does any pharma company sell BRT (bacon replacement therapy) to stop my bacon addiction by feeding my bacon gums and lozenges? Now, that would be nice :) Maybe I can even stick a bacon patch on my arm. Yum.. that sure would smell nice. But would it not make me want.. uhm.. more bacon?

have you tried cHAMtix ®?

word on the street is if you're real careful with it somewhere between rectal bleeding and suicide some people succeed in quitting.

temporarily.

BUT! you can get a subscription for it. AND! it's FDA approved so we know it's safe ®.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Last week I ate grilled shrimps wrapped in bacon. After reading the last few posts I got cravings remembering that dinner. My only doubt right now is if I'm craving for the bacon or the shrimps?

Maybe I'm addicted to both? How do I manage to live for weeks without bacon or shrimps beats me. Must be a seasonal addiction I guess.

Anyway, back to topic... Anything that does anything to your body can be addictive. Nicotine raises your blood pressure, makes you more aware and lowers your reaction time. Sure it can be addictive.

I also bet there are people out there that don't become addicted to it just as I believe there is one person in the world that tried coca* and hadn't become addicted just like I'm sure there is one person out there that did her* and doesn't miss it.

What's the point in this? It only proves we all are different and react to things differently. Wasn't there a guy some years ago that tried to hijack a plane because he wasn't allowed to smoke on board? He reacted differently than other people under withdrawal, just that.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my GT-I9195 through Tapatalk

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Anyway, back to topic... Anything that does anything to your body can be addictive. Nicotine raises your blood pressure, makes you more aware and lowers your reaction time. Sure it can be addictive.

It doesn't have to be a chemical input to get a chemical output either, anything can cause this. Running, gambling, sex, work, it can all be addictive and sometimes quite strongly.

Hmm, now where did I hide that last bacon taco ...

Rotowoman

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2014
Louisiana
Truth be told, this is just a topic I really don't care to debate anymore. Why? Because I just DON'T CARE!! If I am addicted to nicotine, vaping, bacon, brownies, German Chocolate cake, and dark chocolate, then it's MY business and NOT for the government or FDA to worry about. AND, none of it makes me a bad person, SO................rage on. :p

sub4me

Moved On
Aug 31, 2014
USA
I'm not real clear what all the fuss is about. But its quite obvious that some feel a need to convince others that vaping nicotine isn't addictive and is just simply harmless, of course common sense prevails and most can see right through that silly comment. But for whatever reason some want to insist on it and make long boring agruis posts as if they have some authority on the matter. I believe many of these web forum scientist got their education in the form of opinion from the intrenet, which is fine, but its certainly far from fact.

Where's all the doctors, health professionals, and real science experts toting all the benefits of vaping at?? Telling us vaping is safe, nicotine isn't addictive, give it to your kids, there's nothing to worry about, go ahead trust all the unregulated liquid sellers, no harm will come to you, lol, where are all those voices?? Oh right there's not to many. I wonder why?? Did the tobacco companies brainwash them?? Did the drug companies pay them all off?? Are black helicopters flying over their homes maybe and their scared?? Where they shut up by promises of endless bacon burgers?? Did Bigfoot tell them not to talk or else?? Or maybe aliens enlightened them, who knows??

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
I understand your post but I was relating to raw nicotine and because almost no one uses raw nicotine that study is pointless to the people who ingest nicotine by smoking or vaping because that study used never smokers using raw nicotine, LOL, it means nothing except people have no desire to use raw nicotine.

What do you mean "raw nicotine", raw has no definition that makes sense in your statements.
Raw, adjective
1.uncooked, as articles of food:a raw carrot.
2.not having undergone processes of preparing, dressing, finishing, refining, or manufacture:raw cotton.
3.unnaturally or painfully exposed, as flesh, by removal of the skin or natural integument.
4.painfully open, as a sore or wound.
5.crude in quality or character; not tempered or refined by art or taste:raw humor.
6.ignorant, inexperienced, or untrained:a raw recruit.
7.brutally or grossly frank:a raw portrayal of human passions.

There's a whole lot of people addicted to nicotine from vaping
Oh "a whole lot". I see, very precise. Excellent research, who is responsible for it? I must read this. What I've read so far suggests that never smokers who start vaping show little, about like caffeine, to no addiction at all.

Most of not everyone understands smoking is addictive, and its a choice to smoke,
Did I say smoking was not addictive? No I did not, smoking is highly addictive. Note I said smoking not nicotine.
It's a choice to smoke until you are addicted.

so I'm not real clear on what you need to understand about smoking that's not already known. Its harmful and addictive and so are lots of things when you do it to much.
It is no concern of mine if you are or are not real clear on what I need to understand about smoking. I have already stated what I was interesting in.

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
What's fascinating is that anyone, with a drop of sense, believes that nicotine isn't addictive when vaped, used as a patch or chewed in gum.

Yes of course all the scientists doing these studies and experiments are all complete fools, they could be watching Duck Dynasty instead of wasting all that time.
Believing or what you believe has nothing to do with what is actually true to anyone but you. You may believe the Earth is 6000 years old, science through experimentation and observation has prove this is incorrect. Believe what you will, in controlled experiments scientists have observed that in the never smoked group nicotine has little to no addictive qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread