Nicotine Overdose, Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I thought that this topic should moved to it's own thread.

If any of you are wondering if it is possible to OD on nicotine, I can answer that question. Yes, you can OD on nicotine and I demonstrated that this afternoon. The problem that made it worse was the symptoms resembled the nicotine withdrawal symptoms at first. My hands were trembling and I was getting very jittery. So I assumed that the withdrawal symptoms were getting real bad. I didn't think about anything except that I wanted these problems to go away.

Now, here is the scary part, I was sucking on a Thunder extra strong wintergreen snus portion (16mg) and vaping 24mg on my pass through. When the problem started I took out that snus and put in another one, thinking that I needed more nicotine. All this time I was vaping with the pass through. I was doing this thinking that soon I would get that familar mellow feeling when I got caught up with the nic I needed. But something was wrong, I wasn't getting any satisfaction no matter what I did. So, I started thinking that maybe I was headed toward that nervious breakdown I had been afraid I would have if I couldn't solve this withdrawal problem. But, in reality I wasn't thinking straight at all. So I said that I wasn't going over the deep end, I decided to light up an analog and put this thing out of it's misery.

Well I did, and that put me over the edge. I started getting very classic food poisoning symptoms. Sick at my stomach and slight headache. I did finally lose my lunch litterally. Then I started to recognized what might have happened and started drinking some fluids. Soon I started feeling better and better as time passed. It was very clear what had just happened. I had OD'd on nicotine.

So if you ever want someone to try something to see if it could be done I'm your guy. I guess I should change my handle to Super Dave Osborn.

One bright light on this is that I don't think you could be really hurt by OD'ng on nicotine by normal usage, unless you up and drink a whole bottle of 100mg nic juice. What's really bad for me is that I didn't recognize what was going on. This is because whether it's too much nicotine or too little you might not be thinking very clearly. So probably the worst that can happen with normal use is you might make yourself sick (which is what we thought would happen all along).

Now I didn't make a fool out of myself by posting this here for no reason. I could have gone on and not told anyone about this. But, I hope by telling you about this serves as a lesson for someone else.

Needless to say I have had no snus in my mouth for the past 6 hours and have not vaped very much at all. So be careful out there and don't go on a binge trying to get caught up with your nicotine intake. You might just make yourself sick in the process.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Sometimes it can be hard to tell when we've had enough, since there's no clearly defined moment of relief/satisfaction as there is with analogs. I did this quite often when vaping only. Not too much since starting the use of snus, but at stressful or anxious times I start subconciously looking for the "moment" and find myself feeling ill after an extended vape session while using the higher mg snus back to back :p.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
...Now I didn't make a fool out of myself by posting this here for no reason. I could have gone on and not told anyone about this. But, I hope by telling you about this serves as a lesson for someone else.

Needless to say I have had no snus in my mouth for the past 6 hours and have not vaped very much at all. So be careful out there and don't go on a binge trying to get caught up with your nicotine intake. You might just make yourself sick in the process.

All Hail Super A2Dave :D

Good that you did post this a2d.
Simple reality checks go along ways for some people.

I get similar warning signals from my body occasionally. Usually only happens when I'm using one of the 11mg snus I have and vaping steadily.
My usual all day snus are all 8mg portions and even with these, a session of chainvaping will get the flutters a going on.

That very first flutter across the front of the stomach and/or a slight jitter in the hand tell me I'm UP on nicotine. When these indicators show up I avoid the vape and just leave whatever snus I have going in place.

Rarely takes more than an hour it seems to settle out.

Oh yes, we are getting the nicotine :D

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
I often do graduate studies at the University Of Hard Knocks. I'm working on my PHD now.

I was really surprised to find that the extras strong portions don't always give you an indication of getting extra nicotine.

The ekstra sterk give ME the indications a2d. That's why I can't use snus that's over 11mg/portion. Ones I've tried that were 13mg and higher all give me the sweats within a very short time.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I got zonked last night by using a 17mg Oden's Kanal snus in conjunction with non-stop vaping from a USB passthrough of 24mg liquid. I just got real sleepy, so much so that I could barely stand up. I went to bed.

I've thrown up twice by overdosing using snus and vaping or pipe smoking at the same time. I got NO advance warning; and no feeling of satisfaction. That's one reason I'm a strong believer that nicotine is not the answer. Not the only answer. Yes, it's a drug. Yes, it's addictive. Yes, it triggers brain chemical releases. Yes, we can get too much of this poison.

But, no, it is not the only thing we ex-smokers are after. Even on the verge of hanging over a toilet, I still feel I've been deprived.

Something is missing. I know it. Many here do too.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I got zonked last night by using a 17mg Oden's Kanal snus in conjunction with non-stop vaping from a USB passthrough of 24mg liquid. I just got real sleepy, so much so that I could barely stand up. I went to bed.

I've thrown up twice by overdosing using snus and vaping or pipe smoking at the same time. I got NO advance warning; and no feeling of satisfaction. That's one reason I'm a strong believer that nicotine is not the answer. Not the only answer. Yes, it's a drug. Yes, it's addictive. Yes, it triggers brain chemical releases. Yes, we can get too much of this poison.

But, no, it is not the only thing we ex-smokers are after. Even on the verge of hanging over a toilet, I still feel I've been deprived.

Something is missing. I know it. Many here do too.

Well it seems that I am in good company. Thanks for your reply TB. Just when I think I have it all figured out, I am shown that I have a lot to learn. I was glad to learn that my body will probably protect me from myself.

Wow! Intresting story.
I think that is the same reason that they tell you don't smoke and where the patch or chew the gum, it to hard to regulate how much nicotine your taking in with two or three sources.

We do need more than just the nicotine that vaping gives us. The snus provides a lot of what is Missing. You just have to be careful not to over do it. Sometimes that is easier said than done.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
I've never used sinus but I do vape constantly usually 36. I have tried 42 and 48mg. After vaping this for a short while I would start to get nauseated and I know when I have had enough. Other than the slight nausea I have never experienced anything like you did. We should all be careful after all we are trying to get the same satisfaction as we did with smoking.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Glad to have caught this thread. Sorry it happened to you! Good info. to get out there since more of us are turning to snus.

As a new snus user I guess I'll need to pay attention what I'm using (just bought some Thunder Frosted Extra Stark which now I think I'll save for when I can't vape) and maybe dialing back some of my 24mg juice down to 12mg would be a good thing I think!

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I've never used sinus but I do vape constantly usually 36. I have tried 42 and 48mg. After vaping this for a short while I would start to get nauseated and I know when I have had enough. Other than the slight nausea I have never experienced anything like you did. We should all be careful after all we are trying to get the same satisfaction as we did with smoking.

Exactly, since what we are doing doesn't come with a users manual. We should continue to share experiences.

Glad to have caught this thread. Sorry it happened to you! Good info. to get out there since more of us are turning to snus.

As a new snus user I guess I'll need to pay attention what I'm using (just bought some Thunder Frosted Extra Stark which now I think I'll save for when I can't vape) and maybe dialing back some of my 24mg juice down to 12mg would be a good thing I think!

Hellen, in the beginning when I first tried the strong Thunder snus I noticed a big rush due to the strength of the portion. As I used them a little more ofter this rush dissappeared and I failed to notice the significance of the change. The hit was still there, just not as noticable.

Jherek

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
Missouri
Just as Tropical Bob points out, there IS something missing from any form of tobacco replacement. Using NRT and/or vaping, has never given me that strong initial feeling of satisfaction that tobacco does. However, it is quite possible to get to that "comfortable place" one got in between cigarettes, by skillful use of NRT or vaping.

It's tempting to believe that one can get back to that full feeling of satisfaction by upping the nicotine intake, but that's where the OD danger lies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
a2d, thanks so much for posting this! I have had two friends that ended up in the ER because they had a patch on and went drinking, forgot about patch, and smoked on top of it. They are ok now, but it was not a fun right for either of them. Doubling up on nic sources is not a good idea, as you can attest. The problem with snus plus vaping is that oral absorption is fairly slow, so by the time you feel something is wrong, that nic still has a ways to go before maxing out in the blood, and you can't do anything about it. Thankfully you are ok now, and the less experienced can learn something. Very cool for an established veteran to come out and admit it happened without embarrassment, and describe exactly the scenario. Hope everyone reads this and becomes more careful! It can happen to anyone!

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
a2d, thanks so much for posting this! I have had two friends that ended up in the ER because they had a patch on and went drinking, forgot about patch, and smoked on top of it. They are ok now, but it was not a fun right for either of them. Doubling up on nic sources is not a good idea, as you can attest. The problem with snus plus vaping is that oral absorption is fairly slow, so by the time you feel something is wrong, that nic still has a ways to go before maxing out in the blood, and you can't do anything about it. Thankfully you are ok now, and the less experienced can learn something. Very cool for an established veteran to come out and admit it happened without embarrassment, and describe exactly the scenario. Hope everyone reads this and becomes more careful! It can happen to anyone!

Thanks Kurt,

That's why I thought it was important to post this. I also wanted it known what the effects of an OD are so hopefully someone will be able to recognize the symptoms and avoid the situation.

If there was doubt in anyone's mind whether we were getting the nic from snus, I think I have proved that point.

tunabubblegum

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2009
Maryland, USA
Well, nicotine is toxic in the pure form, it is after all used as a pesticide.

I know they tell folks who are on the nic patch not to smoke for reasons of overdose which would cause nausea, headach, hot flashes etc.

If you had high blood presure and/or a heart problem, I would think constent vaping of say 36mg nic could be fatal. 8-o

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
I know I have fill up a cart of 25mg juice then started doing something and before I know it the cart is dry within a short time. Its so much easier to do than with analogs...think about how you would feel if you smoked 7-10 cigarettes all at once. Without all the garbage in nic juice like is in analogs to make your mouth and throat feel like crap, it can sneak up on you quickly.

Gotta be careful out there folks. It will only take one instance of someone stopping their heart (God forbid) by nicotine OD for the FDA and politicians to have enough firepower to bring us down. And the ones that sit there and brag about doing super high mg juice are just playing Russian roulette...not to mention increasing their addiction level exponentially. Just my take on the matter.

tunabubblegum

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2009
Maryland, USA
Oh and I dont even want to know how one gets a name like "tunabubblegum"!! :confused: 8-o

I'll tell you anyway:

My Nephew (about 8 years old at the time) found some bubble gum in my bedroom and wanted some. He asked what flavor it was and said it's tuna fish flavor!!
It's been a family joke ever since :D

And now back to our regular scheduled thread, which is already in progress......

tunabubblegum

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2009
Maryland, USA
I know I have fill up a cart of 25mg juice then started doing something and before I know it the cart is dry within a short time. Its so much easier to do than with analogs...think about how you would feel if you smoked 7-10 cigarettes all at once. Without all the garbage in nic juice like is in analogs to make your mouth and throat feel like crap, it can sneak up on you quickly.

Gotta be careful out there folks. It will only take one instance of someone stopping their heart (God forbid) by nicotine OD for the FDA and politicians to have enough firepower to bring us down. And the ones that sit there and brag about doing super high mg juice are just playing Russian roulette...not to mention increasing their addiction level exponentially. Just my take on the matter.

LOL!! I dont care. When I get home from work, I make myself a conservative vodka and tonic then the Prodigy gets stuck in my yap and only comes out for refills until bedtime (sleep, what a waste of good vapor time!!LOL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread