Nicotine saliva test. Anyone tried this for the non-vapers in your house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
When I used to smoke I always went outside because my wife was never a smoker. No big deal for me other than the weather. My wife and the house never suffered the stench of tobacco. Since I work from my home and vape all day (equal to about one cigarette an hour) inside the house I was wondering if my wife was getting any effects from the vapor. For the most part the research I have done is showing PG in a good light and nicotine as a negative for most folks. I realize that I am absorbing 98% of the ingredients but the 2% exhaled needs to be addressed. So I just ordered a nicotine saliva test to see for myself. This test can be ordered on line for about 20 bucks and looks to be very simple to use. I’ll report the results on this thread.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has already tried this test. Thanks.

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
Seems like you'll only be able to make sense of her results if the kit provides, or if you can determine from other sources, what kind of background levels one might still expect even in a totally smoking-free environment, what kind of levels a smoked-in house would yield, and what kind of levels a tested smoker would show.

(Part of me hates the idea of patronizing an outfit that's mainly in the business of busting people for something that shouldn't be considered culpable.)

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
Seems like you'll only be able to make sense of her results if the kit provides, or if you can determine from other sources, what kind of background levels one might still expect even in a totally smoking-free environment, what kind of levels a smoked-in house would yield, and what kind of levels a tested smoker would show.

(Part of me hates the idea of patronizing an outfit that's mainly in the business of busting people for something that shouldn't be considered culpable.)

Thanks for the input.
Background levels are not a huge concern for me at this point. My wife cooks so I wouldn't be shocked at trace levels of nicotine showing up. If her test show higher than expected levels of nicotine I would then test the house just to eliminate it as a source. I'm not sure I understand why I would need the levels of a smoked-in house because I want to find out the levels of nicotine exposure in my vaped-in house. I will also take the test to compare.

I'm not trying to come up with a strict scientific study here and I fully expect that her results will show little if any nicotine. If on the other hand she shows elevated levels of nicotine it will be time for more accurate test and I will get used to spending more time in the yard.

I agree with your last sentence but I haven’t found to many options.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread