Nicotine Salts on Sub-ohm tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brohug

Oct 10, 2017
Hello,

I use the tobeco super mini with the 0.5ohm SS CCell atomizer since it is smoother than my x-baby beast tank with Q2 coils. I am using Lemon Twist - Wild Watermelon Lemonade @ 6mg for $3.38/oz when purchased in the 120ml size. It is smooth and flavorful using TC-SS mode @ 460-470F & 30 Watts. I like the flavor but am not fond of the artificial “lemonade” taste. I mean the tart side to be more precise. The tart taste does go away after half the tank. 6mg is too low to help me get off cigarettes completely OR feel satisfied. Even after Vaping an entire tank(~3ml) in 45-60min I still want the comfort and feel of a cigarette.

I tried making e-liquid using VapeWild products, but after extensive testing, I found that the nicotine was making it harsh and unbearable. Even their pre-made liquids were harsh and/or disliked at 3, 6, or 12mg.

I am a flavor chaser that likes simplicity and quality. It is sometimes nice to vape a lot, but MOST of the time I just want a quick fix, 2-4 drags.

I like the details I’ve researched about nicotine salts and the fact that I can go much higher in my nicotine content and still keep it smooth. I would love some advice on which pre-made and DIY liquids would be great for this set-up and any other similar advice from those who are/where after the same thing. If you happen to have the knowledge but are not looking for this, I would still be happy to hear from you. If possible, please keep it unbiased.

While preferably using my current set-up(sub-ohm), here is my order of perceived importance:
- Quality ingredients, least amount of artificial flavors that are known or suspected of being overly harmful.
- Smooth, not harsh and w/minimal throat hit.
- Nicotine, need to at least notice it. (12mg or higher?)
- Flavor, must enjoy it.
- Needing limited drags to feel it, 2-5 would be ideal.
- Price, I am not concidering Juul type devices or anything of the sort due to the crazy prices for liquid.

If the price is low enough and the process is simple/quick enough I might consider DIY liquid. I would just need help with finding high quality concentrates and nicotine. If I use pre-mades I would like to stay around $5-8/oz or less.

What are your go to nicotine, nicotine salts, and/or nicotine/nicotine salt premades?

It is very hard to find reviews, ratings, and/or information that hasn’t been skewed in some way, shape, or form.

Thank you for your help on the matter and I hope this post to be helpful to myself and others some day soon.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Nicotine salts are much smoother on the throat, which is why I use them in DIY mixing. I have found that it's just easier for me and my throat was pretty torn up when I started vaping. Mr. Salt E is a vendor that sells nic salt eliquid I believe, and some folks have had good results with that. I think you will be able to go higher on your nic, I might try getting some 6 and 12 in the same flavor, so you can try 9 if 12 is too much (they are reportedly more bioavailable more quickly so do look out for nicotine poisoning symptoms.... they can creep up quickly, or perhaps more quickly, though I haven't noticed THAT much difference personally), I use 18 mg in my mixes, and that seems to work out well, I don't get nic overload.

I bought my nic salts from Nicotine River. Not sure they're the least pricy out there but I bought a small order and liked them, so stocked up for DIY use for a long time.... There are plenty of other DIY wholesale vendors that stock them though, so you can certainly shop around. I might consider trying prebought first to see how they function for you before any large DIY order, but they function fine in sub0hm tanks, you are just going to be inhaling more nic per puff so you may need to be a bit cautious initially until you see how you (and your setup) respond to them.

I have nothing but nice things to say about nicotine salts, I do prefer them to regular nic but don't seem to use any more nic than regular nic, so I'm satisfied....

Best of luck,

Anna

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I'll second nicotine river for a good site for diy. The have the best prices and everything I need for mixing my juice. I haven't tried nic salts but I'm considering it now. So I can't help you with that but I'd just like to add, don't be afraid to go higher in your nicotine content. I see on a lot of sites they recommend 6mg max with subohm tanks. I did have to cut back the nicotine when I went to a subohm tank but I went from 36mg's(which got me sick) to 25mg's. I don't want to have to constantly vape to get my fix so I like high nicotine so I just need 3-5 pulls every now and then. Diy is the way to go if you want to save money it just takes some trial&error, but once you get it right it's a piece of cake. Good luck, I hope you find what your looking for.

Brohug

Oct 10, 2017
Thank you for you post Anna and thank you for responding so quickly. I do want to try 18mg again but I can’t find smooth Nicotine which I need because of my set-up(subohm), and I prefer it silky smooth. I never cared for a throat hit even when smoking. I always chose the smoothest smoke. I like American spirits.

I just purchased Naked Vape’s “Naked Unicorn” and “Azul Berry” @ 12mg. My first impressions are quite frustrating. Perhaps I was misled by marketing and what I thought the community liked. I have only vaped the Naked Unicorn so far, which I thought was one of their best.
I’ll compare it to my current find “Lemon Twist”. Naked Unicorn is:
Less smooth on the inhale and exhale, which causes me to cough sometimes.
The flavor is muddled and leaves a weird aftertaste.
It is pricey, $10/oz
The harshness could be due to the nicotine being double that of Lemon Twist. I might purchase it at 12mg to give it a fair comparison but would rather just try moving on to Nicotine Salts. This is primarily because I’m still having the urge to smoke because of the lack of nicotine.

I have heard negative things about Nicotine River compared to other Salts. Therefore, I would love to hear from others that are seeking similar results as to if they like Nicotine River, Mr. Salt E, and/or any other pre-mades or DIY Salts.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,
If you DO NOT have a back up device...yet, I suggest you have a look at something like this:
MLV PHIX Starter Kit (Metallic Gray)
phix.jpg

If you are ISO a 2 or 3 drag device to smoothly deliver your "fix"; you might find that in the PHIX or other "pod" style devices.

Cheers
I

P.S. IMO: Unflavoured e-liquid tastes like a Camel "light".

Brohug

Oct 10, 2017
Thank you for your post Madstabber,

I would love to know which pre-made e-liquids you buy and who you buy your mixing ingredients from that allows you a smooth vape at 25mg on sub-ohm tanks. Would you also be so kind as to share the details of your build? You mentioned Nicotine River. Do you purchase everything from them such as PG, VG, extracts, etc? I purchased as pure as I could find from amazon. I tested mixing only the PG and VG together and it taste fine, semi-sweet, so it’s pretty safe to say that those aren’t the problems, but who knows what happens once everything is mixed. Being that I have done quite a bit of research and site searching I have come across sites that I’m pretty sure are suggesting certain products because they are trying to sway you to buy said products.

Side note: Being an avid coffee drinker who likes his sugar and half-n-half a lot, both preferably being organic, it concerns me that perhaps all “cream” e-liquids taste unappealing to me. I hope this in not the case. VapeWild’s pre-mades and concentrates that use the “cream” taste in there e-liquids are even more nasty. Of course, as I already mentioned I very much dislike VapeWild products. I am ready to find my go-to pre-made liquid or concentrate and nicotine salt combo.

I want to pull the trigger on something else, but it would be great to hear from others that found wonderfully smooth results from other pre-mades, concentrates, and/or nicotine salts. As a reminder, at this point I am still looking to use my sub-ohm tank at 18mg or higher. I am liking the cCell coils from Vaporesso.

For other individuals reassurance and in hopes that this thread doesn’t get sidetracked, I am increasing my nicotine content rather than decreasing it because I want to see if it will help in weening myself off of cigarettes. Another added benefit of nicotine that I have personally noticed is that it helps take the edge off of my ADHD. The actual meds I’m prescribed don’t. This also could be due to the deep breathing. Perhaps I should have chosen the name “Zenvaper 9000”

Thank you again for everyone’s current and hopefully coming advice.

Reactions: stols001

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Thank you for your post Madstabber,

I would love to know which pre-made e-liquids you buy and who you buy your mixing ingredients from that allows you a smooth vape at 25mg on sub-ohm tanks. Would you also be so kind as to share the details of your build? You mentioned Nicotine River. Do you purchase everything from them such as PG, VG, extracts, etc? I purchased as pure as I could find from amazon. I tested mixing only the PG and VG together and it taste fine, semi-sweet, so it’s pretty safe to say that those aren’t the problems, but who knows what happens once everything is mixed. Being that I have done quite a bit of research and site searching I have come across sites that I’m pretty sure are suggesting certain products because they are trying to sway you to buy said products.

Side note: Being an avid coffee drinker who likes his sugar and half-n-half a lot, both preferably being organic, it concerns me that perhaps all “cream” e-liquids taste unappealing to me. I hope this in not the case. VapeWild’s pre-mades and concentrates that use the “cream” taste in there e-liquids are even more nasty. Of course, as I already mentioned I very much dislike VapeWild products. I am ready to find my go-to pre-made liquid or concentrate and nicotine salt combo.

I want to pull the trigger on something else, but it would be great to hear from others that found wonderfully smooth results from other pre-mades, concentrates, and/or nicotine salts. As a reminder, at this point I am still looking to use my sub-ohm tank at 18mg or higher. I am liking the cCell coils from Vaporesso.

For other individuals reassurance and in hopes that this thread doesn’t get sidetracked, I am increasing my nicotine content rather than decreasing it because I want to see if it will help in weening myself off of cigarettes. Another added benefit of nicotine that I have personally noticed is that it helps take the edge off of my ADHD. The actual meds I’m prescribed don’t. This also could be due to the deep breathing. Perhaps I should have chosen the name “Zenvaper 9000”

Thank you again for everyone’s current and hopefully coming advice.
I'm happy to share the details of my vape choices but I'm not sure if you will find it smooth enough for you to enjoy because some of my friends who have tried it had coughing fits after taking a pull. My tank is the uwell crown with a .5 coil. The factory coils last a long time and are pretty cheap so I don't bother building my own coils. My juice is a 50/50 mix with 36 mg's of nicotine that I dilute down to about 25mg with the flavor apprentice RY4 double and ethyl maltol crystals. I use about 10% flavoring and the e.m. Crystals I sorta eyeball a pinch of. I don't measure anything, it's all an estimation. I just have a line on my bottle that I add the flavoring to and add a pinch of the crystals then just fill the rest of the way with my nicotine base. I get all of my supplies from nicotine river. I think you should try the nicotine salts to smooth out your mix if you do try to diy because like I said many who have tried my juice break into coughing fits. Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

Brohug

Oct 10, 2017
Thank you madstabber, you are the man!

I’m not a tobacco flavor kind of person, I know that sounds weird coming from a smoker, but maybe I’ll try it again some day.
I will definitely consider doing a test run with nicotine river. I have never heard of EM until you mentioned it then in turn reading about it. I’m interested in it for sure now.

There are so many unknowns in the world of Vaping. I love learning new things and hopefully this with 50/50 (for more flavor), nicotine salts (smooth), and some concentrates I should be good to go.

To be honest, it’s a bit daunted trying to figure out which concentrates to try first since there are 1000s of them out there. Some that don’t say much of anything about what’s in them besides being a PG base and probably all artificial all the way to no Acetyl Propionyl, Acetoin, and another chemical that starts with a D. Just messes with my brain and I end up staying up until 5 am researching. Holy crap I’m going to bed.

Before I do though would you mind giving me your opinion on these chemicals? It’s what I purchased. I don’t want to be using some half rate chemicals.
Propylene Glycol - 1 Gallon - USP Certified Food Grade - Highest Purity, Humectant, Fog Machine, Humidor & Antifreeze Solution, DIY, Kosher https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS8F1UW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Jq3EVFhWIbB2z

Vegetable Glycerin - 1 Gallon - All Natural, Kosher, USP Grade - Premium Quality Glycerin, Excellent Emollient Qualities, Amazing Skin and Hair Benefi https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M361MS6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_7ba6YSFq7p7AS

Perhaps you or someone else has any suggests as to which companies don’t use all those questionable chemicals and which flavors to try and which to stay away from? I’m trying to save time, money, and my health while finding an enjoyable vape that I can use everyday. Obviously, nothing is 100% safe, but I would like to stay away from the known and questionable ones, if possible.

Thank you all!

Reactions: stols001

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
With your VG and PG it should be usp certified, which yours is. I don't use either in my mix because I get my nicotine base in 50/50 and dilute it with flavoring so I don't buy vg/pg by itself. Someone with more knowledge on that could help you more, like I said I know it should be usp certified but beyond that I'm clueless. As far as the chemicals deemed dangerous like Diacetyl and others I'm not the guy for that either. I use the flavor apprentice flavoring and I only use ry4 double which doesn't have any of those chemicals in it so I've never researched it much. TFA flavorings are good flavors so I think you'd be fine using any of them without concern for dangerous additives. If you are gonna buy EM it comes in liquid form and crystals. The crystals are the better value, you get more for less and you don't have to worry about what liquid they dissolved the crystals in. Also as a plus, it's a good way to know when your juice is properly steeped. When the crystals are completely dissolved, your juice is usually good to go.

Brohug

Oct 10, 2017
Wow, what you said about the crystals is fantastic. I have been pondering the whole steeping process. A lot of people contradict each other. I might try the hot water bath approach and leave the bottles open. Another great thing about Nicotine Salts is that I don’t have to worry about oxidation.

I think I’ll buy PG & VG, to compare it to mine, Nicotine Salt, EM, and a few of the top concentrates that aren’t on the warning list. All purchases will be made through nicotine river. I might pick up another additive but I don’t want to go too over board, but I want to make sure it’s tasty. I think I like liquids with sweeteners in it...bad luck for my atomizers.

Nicotine Rivers chemicals increase in value as you increase the size, but it’s not linear. The first few jumps and sizes are usually the biggest savings.

Possible starting recipe:
50/50
24mg
~0.5% EM
Some yummy concentrates
Sweetener or a touch of cotton candy

Speaking of flavors, I tried the Azul Berry and I found it much tastier than the Naked Unicorn.

I’m washing my tank and cCell atomizer because I noticed it tasting weird. I hope it’s not bad already. They said they last much longer that regular ones, yet I have only been using it for a ~week. I have only put ~45ml through it so far.

I took the tank apart and soaked it in hot water overnight. I also tried my best to clean the atomizer.

Last edited:

Brohug

Oct 10, 2017
In case anyone was curious, I made an order on nicotine River.

Nic salt
PG & VG
21 different concentrates
and
30ml chubby gorilla unicorn bottles x10

I spent a long time researching and reading reviews and ratings of e-juice! This was exhausting. I decided to use this website:
http://forum...................../t/a-beginners-guide-to-making-the-most-highly-rated-recipes/83612

I bought all of the eliquids under, “An “Economicical” First Order”, except I replaced some of them for safer or cheaper alternatives. I also bought, marshmallow, toasted marshmallow, and cotton candy to use as softeners/sweeteners.

I’ll update this once it comes and I start making the e-liquid.

• Winner
Reactions: Letitia

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Yesterday, i was at the vape store getting a coil for my big baby. While i was there, i sampled a couple juices that contained nicotine salts. I was impressed. I dont remember the name of the stuff, but there were only four flavors to choose from. I tried strawberry, and it was pretty nice. The vanilla custard, well, that was nasty. I dont do menthol so the last one was tobacco. All were at 25mg strength. I decided to stay away from tobacco flavors when i started vaping even though i taste tested a few just for the hell of it. But this one containing nicotine salts really blew me away. It actually tasted like it was supposed to. The 25mg strength was not harsh at all, though it did mess with the custard flavor which is why i gave it a nasty. Now my curiosity is piqued (that IS the proper spelling,btw). I simply must look into a possible purchase soon, perhaps even the(god forbid) tobacco flavor.

Brohug

Oct 10, 2017
Thank you for your posts everyone!

Coyote628 I was in the same boat in terms of tobacco flavors, but I might give it a try with some sweetners.
With creams and custards, they have to be steeped to taste good from what I read. Perhaps the bottle you tried wasn’t.

I am buying my own ingredients so that I know exactly what’s inside my eliquid. I’m hoping that this will allow me to fine-tune the exact flavor I want and perhaps it’ll taste even better because they’re higher quality ingredients. I should be receiving my package today.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I was mostly surprised at how smooth even 25mg/ml juice was. Ive been vaping 6mg at sub-ohm for over a month, and some folks would probably say thats too high but it works for me. But this nic salt thing is something altogether different. Im not gonna sub-ohm 25mg, that might be a bit harsh just because. I might just get the same AIO device that i tested the stuff with though so i can vape that strength. It was actually that nice. Tobacco or strawberry, i havent made up my mind yet.

Brohug

Oct 10, 2017
So I couldn’t wait until the morning to make these. I adjusted some of the flavors from the original recipes, but I made ten different 30ml recipes.
I put them all through a hot bath and let them breath for a little. I’m going to try one of them now.

This shows the hot bath in a cup, breathing station, my mod n tank, and the labels I will tape onto them. I will be steeping them and trying them over time.
B9C54152-7C64-4831-9596-1F5094311BB3.jpeg

Another angle
F5D013D7-C482-4746-8D64-6B4B8CBC10A1.jpeg

My lab ;)
F16F1458-92CC-4CD4-9B75-9B11B3CEE5AE.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread