Status
Not open for further replies.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Wow, I worked at Sheetz gas stations for a number of years through college, and we definitely got shopped by undercovers all the time. They would find a local teen (usually a 17yo who looked way older), offer them money to try to buy cigarettes, they'd come in and try to buy cigarettes and then take them to the cops outside. The store I worked at was once fined $500 and the clerk who sold them was fired on the spot and had to pay a fine of $250.

Interesting. Perhaps it has more to do with location than anything then. Perhaps smaller communities just can't afford the manpower for such things.

Reactions: FringeChief68

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
The stings are a huge pain for the local LEOs. They look at it like a waste of time. It takes a small team of cops who could be out looking for rapists and murderers all day to drive around to shops and do it. Usually only happens when someone in the community screams loud enough about kids smoking. They go out and bust a couple of folks with a photog from the paper on standby, put a nice lil paragraph on page 32 of the paper with the pic, etc.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Try this thought experiment. If a police officer decided to help kids avoid tobacco by enforcing the possession law against them he would be discouraged by his management from doing that. But if there were no excise taxes on cigarettes the police would enforce the possession laws and the community would support that. There is opposition to ecigs BECAUSE they help people stop paying the tobacco taxes. If all those smokers who switched to vaping never the less continued to pay the cigarette taxes there would be zero controversy about ecigs.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
It hasn't been asked in this thread yet, so I'll go ahead and ask it. Why should nicotine be age restricted? There is more and more evidence that the nicotine in vaping does not create dependence, and therefore would not be a gateway to smoking.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
You are right. I's tobacco that is a controlled substance. My bad. I can't find anything either. I guess the laws haven't caught up with the new tech yet. That's why the FDA is trying so hard to classify e-juice as a tobacco product.
With exclusions for magically safe BP nicotine, of course.

MaenadMoogle

Jul 16, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
Of course! Lol! I still say the vaping industry needs a lobbyist in DC.

I'LL DO IT! **but only if the salary is similar to BT lobbyists. :D

"In 2010, the tobacco industry spent $16.6 million on lobbyists to represent the industry to Congress" (From wikipedia, I know not the MOST reliable, but I believe this one one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread