Nicotine versus appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
I think everyone's aware that nicotine, certainly at least from real ciggies,
decreases your food appetite dramatically.

Apparently it satisfies the same neuro-receptors as eating food (esp fatty foods).

But I'm sitting here in front of the computer constantly vaping on 30 mg liquid,
suddenly thinking, god I'm hungry.
But then I've not felt the need to eat since last night until now = 24 hrs.

Since it's probable that we all get much more 'simple' nicotine from e-cigs
than we used to from real cigs, I was wondering if we're all going to waste
away while reading this forum!

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
I think everyone's aware that nicotine, certainly at least from real ciggies,
decreases your food appetite dramatically.

Apparently it satisfies the same neuro-receptors as eating food (esp fatty foods).

But I'm sitting here in front of the computer constantly vaping on 30 mg liquid,
suddenly thinking, god I'm hungry.
But then I've not felt the need to eat since last night until now = 24 hrs.

I think I have lost 9 or 10 oz. since I started vaping....so I think it's working for me:)The Wiz!

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK

This is the first time I've quit smoking and lost weight - and another reason why I have always disliked trying to quit (to add to the cravings & the craziness).

Don't tell the marketeers though - can you imagine the adverts - "new weight loss product", etc. The anti-smokers would go berserk.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
About says:

Nicotine and Insulin

Nicotine also inhibits the release of insulin from the pancreas, a hormone that is responsible for removing excess sugar from a person's blood. This leaves the smoker in a slightly hyperglycemic condition, meaning he has more sugar in his blood than is normal. High blood sugar acts as an appetite suppressant, which may be why smokers think their cigarettes reduce hunger.

yoshistr

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
Smoking helps reduce weight simply because you lose your appetite when smoking analogs, this occurs through a few different ways:
1) nicotine from smoking causes dopamine activation which makes you feel good, your mind requires less food to feel "happy" (smoking has almost instant activation, food usually occurs a few times starting from taste & smell to digestion when the glucose levels rise in the blood)
2) smoking reduces your sense of smell, your olfactory system is important and can trigger an appetite even when not hungry (think about walking across from a hot food stand and smelling the great food and just buying something without thinking why)
3) smoking reduces your sense of taste, obviously if food does not taste as good you will desire less of it (your favorite foods are probably the ones with the highest taste/calorie/sugar values)
4) smoking causes stomach distention, the smoke you inhale does not go exclusively through your pharynx but also into your esophagus so your stomach pressure increases as you smoke (when you quit smoking you might feel a slight pain in your stomach as your stomach is producing it's own gas to alleviate tension), distention triggers a signal to your brain that you "ate" something even though your intestines do not send a signal it causes a false positive alert that you ate.

The main difference between the ecig and analogs is that with ecigs your sense of smell and taste are returning making food more appetizing. Also there is less stomach distention with ecigs because the smoke is usually less dense and causes less pressure. Nicotine levels may also vary, so your might not feel as great after vaping versus smoking because it takes behavioral conditioning to get your brain used to the change. If you want to lose your sense of taste and smell I would say use blue Crest Whitening mouthwash, it will lessen your appetite (be careful that mouthwash also can cause your teeth to stain). Exercise can help to increase stomach distention and help you lose weight at the same time.

Also remembering unhealthy eating disorders like bulemia or anorexia are dangerous to your health, remember to eat the healthy amount of calories for your body type and only slowly decrease caloric intake everyday and increase exercise for a better diet.

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
GOSH!!! I guess I do EVERYTHING backwards. Since switching the e-cigs I have gained about 15lbs. I get hungry all the time now, even though I vape 36mg constantly!?!?!?!? OH WELL:confused::confused::confused:

I'm in the same boat. I've only been analog-free for a week so I haven't gained 15lbs yet, but I _know_ it's coming.

Before when I smoked analogs I would only eat one meal a day, in the evening. And wouldn't be hungry at all during the day. Now, holy smoke! I'm hungry nearly all the time no matter how much 36mg I puff.

So there's definitely more at work here than nicotine. The "food desireability" bit sounds good on paper, but my food tastes exactly the same as it always did. And I was hungry the very next day after quitting analogs, so the desireability thing just isn't it.

jfh8553

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2009
Daytona Beach, Florida, USA
At least I'm not alone with the weight thing! ACTUALLY, the fact that I can laugh without hacking up a lung and I can wake up each day without hacking up a lung and I can NOW walk much, much further (which I do realize will help with the weight thing over time) again without hacking up a lung---not to mention that my house and car no longer reek of stale smoke---I think might just make up for the fact that I am temporarilly walking around with an extra 15lbs!!!! Overall I must say that I am THRILLED to have discovered these e-cigs---:)

Phalse

ECF Veteran
That happens to me even when smoking analogs. I find that even if I dont feel like munching food, when I get it in my hand, I'm hungry and eat it fast :)

I find as I'm getting older I'm eatting less larger meals and more smaller meals. I used to get a lot of fast food now if I do get it at all its 1 sandwich, nothing more no frys or anything and if I try to get 2 fast food sandwiches I get sick of them after the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread