Nitecore i4, audible "clack", LG HE4 battery stopped charging, very hot, and then dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Milan, Italy
I've tried summarizing as best as I could what just happened with my i4 charger and an oldish LG HE4 (wrap absolutely flawless) I was charging with it.

The charger was charging the aforemention battery in slot 1 and a Samsung 30Q in slot 4. The charger was on my desk and I was using my PC. I heard a somewhat loud "clack" sound, I thought it came from the charger, I looked and the slot 1 led had completely stopped blinking. I immediately took out the battery from slot 1 and it was very hot to the touch. Not unbearably so but hot.

I placed the battery out of the window, as I was afraid it could vent or worse. It did not. I waited for half an hour and then measured it. It measures 0.01 volts... it clearly is dead, I don't plan on trying to use it anymore and I'll dispose of it soon. But I'd be interested in understanding what exactly happened. Slot 1 in the charger appears to work correctly, as far as I can judge by placing another battery and charging it there.

• Useful
Reactions: GOMuniEsq

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If the charger slot it was in is working correctly, it sounds like the battery had an internal failure. Take a look at the top of the battery. Remove the wrap and insulator. See if it doesn't show signs of having broken its seal.

I would watch the charger like a hawk for a while though.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    That sound you heard was probably the Current Interrupt device (CID) tripping. It is an overpressure safety switch built into some batteries. Something went very, very wrong with your battery and it started generating excess gas internally, probably from all that heat. The CID tripped to prevent the cell from venting through the top venting disk or even bursting.

What caused all that heat I do not know.

gorman

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 19, 2011
    Milan, Italy
    Thank you both for your replies. A scary situation for sure. The battery was not new but it had never been abused and I always measure my batteries after charging.

Since I have no way to be sure that the charger wasn't responsible, I'll dispose of it and buy a new one.
    @Mooch do you recommend any charger on the market? 4 slots would be great but two can suffice. Ideally connected straight to mains current.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Hawise

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thank you both for your replies. A scary situation for sure. The battery was not new but it had never been abused and I always measure my batteries after charging.

Since I have no way to be sure that the charger wasn't responsible, I'll dispose of it and buy a new one.
    @Mooch do you recommend any charger on the market? 4 slots would be great but two can suffice. Ideally connected straight to mains current.

Thanks again.

Sorry, no charger recommendations yet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread