NJOY Carpet-bombing ads on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
So ECF Nation, what do you think of njoy carpet-bombing television ads lately? Personally, I'm glad. I like to see another vendor getting into the fray with some dollars in support of the industry. I can view this only as a major positive. Whether or not Blu or njoy are the preferred choice of anyone here (I still use Blu on the road, for disclosure), I feel like bringing awareness and dollars to this business will likely lead people to other solutions that will bring them the success they want...to quit.

For bonus points, it upsets a lot of people to see the ads on the air. Watching people wrecklessly enjoying themselves, knowing they aren't doing a bit of harm. The humanity! But I know a certain type watches those spots and are disgusted about them. I'd be lying if I said that didn't bring me a certain amount of sadistic pleasure.

So what's your stance? Good for the business? Good for your preferred brand, even if indirectly? Or are you opposed?

Wes

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
There's one channel we watch in particular that seems to play Blu and NJoy ads back to back, and usually there are at least 2 spots every other commercial break. I can't remember what channel but it makes me smile, even though I don't use either. I think it's great that there's someone in the vaping industry who has the money to help push back against the do-gooder anti-vaping/tobacco crowd.

I'm secretly hoping that the commercials will sway my still-smoking SO to reconsider ecigs (he's tried them and dislikes them terribly, says they make him want to smoke more). I think his problem is purely psychological, and having a commercial constantly poking at him is much better than me doing it! :D

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
Good thoughts, alisa1970. I'm seeing tons of NJOY right now, and less Blu. But either way it makes me happy. Whether you're in the anti-BT crowd or not (and I'm not, personally), the fact is they have the cash and the motivation to push this agenda forward. They invested money in a company and want it to not lose money. Conspiracy theories aside, I think their motivation is to sell more of their product and this helps. I hope I don't offend anyone with that notion, I don't mean to.

Yes, the ads showing these "rebels" out enjoying some dinner and drinks around town enjoying a "smoke" make me smile. The ads aren't bad either. They do sort of embody the spirit I have. I would imagine at some level they kind of resonate with your SO...at least I hope they do.

Thanks for commenting.

Wes

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
Oh, and I am not so sure that BT really is in the anti-ecig crowd. That honor belongs to the tobacco free coalitions (a snake with many heads) and big pharma.

This, I would agree with. BT is in the "dependency" business. If that upsets you, then you should migrate toward 0mg. However, I'm not really bothered by that. I've got plenty of vices, I'd just like some healthier ones. So I can vape till I'm 102, and if that makes BT some money along the way, boohoo, I won't get too upset by it.

As you point out, the major threat is from the nanny state, NIMBY types.

Wes

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
I think its great. Hopefully, people who smoke analogs will see these commercials and give them a shot. I bought a blu pack and was thoroughly unimpressed it was actually NJOY who turned me onto vaping. They actually were a great substitute for analogs.

It can only help.

Again, agreed. And that's another cool angle. By getting more vendors in the space to do some TV advertising, it opens up options for someone who maybe tried one vendor and thought it sucked. Great, here's a new one to try, maybe it will be better. Tastes vary a lot. Perhaps there will be more stories like yours coming soon.

Wes

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
I agree with what you have said about the positive effect of these ads in bringing awareness to those who might be interested in e smoking.

I live in Oklahoma and our fine Governor has recently banned e cigarettes on all state owned property. Way to go, guv! Let's not do anything that might help folks quit smoking and get healthier!

I was talking to my step-son who is a non-smoker, but a very non-judgmental person. We were wondering about why the anti-e-cigarette movement is so strong here. He thinks it's a matter of ideology. In the last few years smokers as a class of people have come to be genuinely "hated" by lots of people. Folks don't just hate smoking, they hate the people who smoke.

And folks who use e-cigarettes are mostly people who used to "smoke", and it follows that they should be hated as much as active smokers. Especially since it "looks like" they are still smoking.

They did some on-the-street interviews about the Governor's ban. One lady actually said she was glad it was banned because it "looks like smoking."

Like you, I get a kick out of what those sorts might think when they see the commercials you're talking about.:)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The advertising budgets of Big Tobacco can help give e-cigs the exposure the market needs to make the general public more aware of their existance. That's a good thing. It will hopefully draw smokers to learn more about them and hopefully give them a try.

But don't think for a minute that Big Tobacco is on our side! They are quietly buying out the liquid nicotine manufacturers that supply our normal suppliers of e-liquids. Their ultimate goal is to control and monopolize the e-cig market.

They hope to influence the FDA to limit liquid nicotine to tamper-proof (ie "childproof") cartridges for the general public. They also want flavored e-liquid banned (too enticing to children). This would put the rest of the eliquid suppliers that we normally buy our flavored e-liquid bottles from out of business, and also have a terrible effect on the entire e-cig market as we now know it.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/legislation-news/479971-action-alert-urge-congress-prevent-fda-banning-e-cigarettes-again-stop-fda-giving-e-cig-industry-big-tobacco.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/legislation-news/512709-fda-hold-listening-session-feb-6-seattle-deeming-other-tobacco-regs-public-invited-comment.html

Anyone reading this who is not yet a member of CASAA must sign up and join now. They are our advocates for the freedom to vape and will be representing OUR interests to the FDA. It's free to join and only takes one minute. The more people who are members allows CASAA to say that they are representing the majority of vapers. Strength is in numbers. Click the link below in my signature to join.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread