NJOY NPRO and Antidepressant medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effex

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
NYC
Didn't even notice that when I bought mine over a month ago! haha. I've been on 25mg of zoloft for about 4 months now, and actually started weening myself off when my Npro arrived in the mail (just a coincidence) and have been on the medication for atleast 2 weeks while vaping the hell out of my Npro. I have had no problems at all.

Prior to e-cigs, I've been chewing Nicorette for months while being on Zoloft, and had no issues as well.

IMHO, I think that warning is just a pre-cautionary statement, and granted, I don't know how nicotine reacts with Anti-D's, but I know alcohol can be fatal if you drink too much while on them. So who knows!

Everyone is different though, so if you are interested in e-smoking, I would recommend you vaping w/ low nicotine content and take it from there.

Hope that helps.

chokmah

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2009
Austin Texas
Does anyone know why NJOY says that their product is not intended for people using medicine for depression? Thanks

I think thats pretty standard as with any antidepressants.. There are many warnings like that on OTC stuff too. Just make sure they can be used together. You can ask a pharmacist or even a doctor. Alot has to do with the nicotine I think as thats a stimulant in itself.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
You asked about this on another thread and I answered there:

It's to do with the way nicotine reacts with other compounds, it's psychoactive. Nicotine does something with dopamine receptors in your brain and the interaction with anti depressants changes the chemistry. Sorry I don't know technical details and can't recall anti depressants being discussed in this context here.

I take fluoxetine (Prozac) and use nicotine ... carefully. My mood has greatly improved since quitting smoking and starting vaping. I use a total of around 20 - 25mg of nicotine spread throughout the day.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/3598-nicotine-safety.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...pefully-helpful-other-noobs-2.html#post143582

jennydotz

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
West Virginia, USA
That's a good question, does it specify MAOIs, SSRIs, Tricyclics? Or just say "antidepressants". When I have gotten prescriptions for antidepressants (all SSRIs), no Dr has ever asked If I smoked. I never got any hint that there was a contraindication with nicotine. I think I've read all the insert materials in the SSRIs and don't ever remember seeing anything like that.

Does the NPro label caution against a ton of things/interactions (in which case we know they are just covering their asses)? Or are antidepressants singled out?

Spook

Mar 20, 2009
Jennydotz: I think they're just covering their asses because it doesn't single out any specific antidepressants..it also says that NJOY products are not intended for "pregnant women, women breastfeeding, people with risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, or taking medicine for depression or asthma."

I'm going to keep using my NPRO and not worry about it anymore. Thanks.:)

VapeAllDay

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
That's a good question, does it specify MAOIs, SSRIs, Tricyclics? Or just say "antidepressants". When I have gotten prescriptions for antidepressants (all SSRIs), no Dr has ever asked If I smoked. I never got any hint that there was a contraindication with nicotine. I think I've read all the insert materials in the SSRIs and don't ever remember seeing anything like that.

Does the NPro label caution against a ton of things/interactions (in which case we know they are just covering their asses)? Or are antidepressants singled out?

I think A LOT of people who are anti-depressants smoke... Probably more likely to smoke than others actually. I take Celexa for anxiety and I vape like crazy.. I do feel a little spacy.. Maybe I am taking in too much nic.. :shock:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I think that warning is on NRT products. It's part warning and part disclaimer, nicotine is known to cause problems for some of those groups of people.

It shows a health/medical approach to the drug rather than the outdated tobacco type logic that they can do what they like, cause what they like and not give information or warnings about known risks and ingredients.

Dorje Chenpo

Mar 8, 2009
I didn't notice that in the manual, either. I'm using an Njoy Npro with Wellbutrin and it's fine.

Quitting smoking increases my risk of depression and makes it really, really hard to concentrate or get anything done. Thank goodness there's e-cigs. They provide the nicotine I need. (Analogs also provide MAO inhibitors which probably provide an antidepressant effect, but can't have everything.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread