NJoy Sizzle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleMidriff

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Have any njoy users out there had the following happen to them?

I was enjoying my njoy (at work, at my desk...shhh, don't tell anybody) when all of the sudden it produced the most god-awful taste and smell. I quickly sputtered out the the vapor I hadn't inhaled yet and pulled the cartridge off the atomizer. I could hear the atomizer emitting a sizzling noise for about 3 seconds. Once that died down, I put the cartridge back in and started puffing. The taste/smell is still present, but it's fading as I puff.

I checked the atomizer and I couldn't find any fibers lodged anywhere they shouldn't be. And the sound the atomizer made when it was sizzling sounded...liquid-y...not how I'd expect a burning cartridge fiber to sound (if burning cartridge fibers even make sound).

Any ideas?

Having never been through an e-cig cleaning cycle, I don't know what those are like, but could that have been the cause? Do NJoys even have a cleaning cycle?

Man, that's a new one. All I know is my Njoy has been tasting like CRAP since I got the new atomizer. I don't even want to puff it anymore. Like melted plastic. Gahhhhhhhhhh!

I'm tired of emailing Mark at Njoy. And I don't wanna pack this beyatch up and send it back. I need ideas myself.

Have you got the new ceramic atomizer too?

NerdyCinderella

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2008
Gotham City
Haven't experienced the sizzling but do on occasion experience the bad taste - not overwhelming, just bad.
So far I've tentatively and successfully attributed it to a bad cartridge.
That is a cartridge that may have dried out prematurely.
But I will watch it to see if it is the beginning of an atomizer failure.

PS I received a replacement atomizer last Friday. And a new NJoy as a backup yesterday.

UncleMidriff

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2008
karenwest1961 said:
Man, that's a new one. All I know is my Njoy has been tasting like CRAP since I got the new atomizer. I don't even want to puff it anymore. Like melted plastic. Gahhhhhhhhhh!

I'm tired of emailing Mark at Njoy. And I don't wanna pack this beyatch up and send it back. I need ideas myself.

Have you got the new ceramic atomizer too?

The atomizer that came with my NJoy was the old type of atomizer. The first replacement I got was the ceramic type. It quit after 3 days. The next replacement I got, the one I am using now, is another old-style atomizer. The ceramic type atomizer that I had tasted fine before it just up and died.

I really wish I could keep the old broken atomizers instead of sending them back to NJoy. I''d like to open one of them up so I can see exactly why they're not working anymore.

UncleMidriff

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2008
NerdyCinderella said:
Haven't experienced the sizzling but do on occasion experience the bad taste - not overwhelming, just bad.
So far I've tentatively and successfully attributed it to a bad cartridge.
That is a cartridge that may have dried out prematurely.
But I will watch it to see if it is the beginning of an atomizer failure.

PS I received a replacement atomizer last Friday. And a new NJoy as a backup yesterday.

The cartridge I was using is a bit dry. I don't understand why that should make it taste like pure awful though.

Hrmph.

Did you just buy a new NJoy, or did they take pity on you and give you a backup unit?

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
i dont have an njoy,but the bad taste periodically happens to me to.if theres nothing apparent in the atomiser,i usually put it down to the little fibres which sometimes hang down from the cartridge becoming too dry as the cartridge is smoked,and starting to heat up a bit too much.it usually goes away when i drip some more liquid on....or i blow the atomiser out...or both.either way,i puff it until it goes away-without inhaling...i wouldnt inhale when that taste is there if i were you.

as for the atomiser-how long do you have it?if i take a good draw and quickly remove a cartridge it can crackle for a few seconds,more so with a new atomiser.then again,this is an njoy we're dealing with here,so i dont know if you should be worried or not... ;)

UncleMidriff

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2008
RatInDaHat said:
how hot was the atomizer when this happened?

It didn't seem any warmer than usually does during a good e-smoking session.

Here's my theory for now:

The cartridge was drying out, so the atomizer didn't have the normal amount of fresh liquid flowing into it. Thus, a higher concentration of icky liquid that builds up in it over time was being vaporized. I'm not sure why it sizzled, but, like the good Mr. Darcy suggests, maybe the crackling noise is somewhat normal. The higher concentration of gross old liquid being vaporized lead to the icky smell.

One of the reasons I'm thinking this is because, in the past, when I've blown out the atomizer in an attempt to keep it clean, I've noticed a similar smell being present for a short time afterward.

When I got home from work, I blew out the cartridge several times to get any and all old liquid out of it. After that, I dripped a few drops from a new cartridge into it to prime it, stuck another cartridge in it, and the smell is largely gone and fading. The thing isn't producing as much vapor now, but that very well could be due to the fact that this battery is about due for a recharge. As soon as my other battery charges up, I'll swap'em and see how that treats me.

I have no idea if anything I've done will make any difference. But, as with most things e-cig, a little hocus-pocus sometimes does the trick, and at the very least, it keep us busy. :)

bishybob

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2008
Arizona, USA
I get that sound out of my e-cigar sometimes. If I take a good puff then pull the cartridge out right away it will sizzle for a few seconds.
Also if I take the cartridge out completely and blow through the front (battery) it will sizzle as it expels smoke.
I'm pretty sure that sound is normal, or at least not hurting anything.

As for the weird taste... I get that also sometimes. If I puff on it like crazy I can get a slight burnt plastic? taste. It's not fumey... Just a slightly bad taste. And it goes away if I let my e-cig sit for a minute before taking another puff.
I'm pretty sure (at least in my Ruyan cartridges) that the filling is made out of a type of spun silicon.

Kit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2008
UK
bishybob said:
I get that sound out of my e-cigar sometimes. If I take a good puff then pull the cartridge out right away it will sizzle for a few seconds.
Also if I take the cartridge out completely and blow through the front (battery) it will sizzle as it expels smoke.
I'm pretty sure that sound is normal, or at least not hurting anything.

As for the weird taste... I get that also sometimes. If I puff on it like crazy I can get a slight burnt plastic? taste. It's not fumey... Just a slightly bad taste. And it goes away if I let my e-cig sit for a minute before taking another puff.
I'm pretty sure (at least in my Ruyan cartridges) that the filling is made out of a type of spun silicon.
If you over puff the plastic taste will either be the fibres burning or the end of the plastic cartridge heating up i like to puff on mine loads but when i feel the atomizer warming in my fingers i stop and let it cool down ...! :p so to sustain the little chaps life :p

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Next time it sizzles, try to quickly look at the led. You will probably see it burning for it's clean-up that it occasionaly does. When that happens, it sizzles if there is enough liquid (including old liquid at the bottom, indeed); and burning the old liquid away does stink...
Whenever I see or hear my device cleaning itself out, I wait 'till it's done, then pull off the mouthpiece and just blow into the atomizer to get the vapor in there out. That usualy takes care of the smelly part allready (including the burnt-taste going along with that). Then I coninue to smoke like normal; and if there is still some burnt taste/foul smell left I simply put on a few drops of fresh liquid, then continue smoking again.

It's just a routine-thing for me, happens at least one or more times (sometimes more, across several devices) a day... Don't the Njoy's clean themselves regularly then, that it's a surprise if it happens with those? (Don't have Njoy myself) - that would account for extra smell and bad-taste I guess... more old liquid to burn then for it...

Kit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2008
UK
katink said:
Next time it sizzles, try to quickly look at the led. You will probably see it burning for it's clean-up that it occasionaly does. When that happens, it sizzles if there is enough liquid (including old liquid at the bottom, indeed); and burning the old liquid away does stink...
Whenever I see or hear my device cleaning itself out, I wait 'till it's done, then pull off the mouthpiece and just blow into the atomizer to get the vapor in there out. That usualy takes care of the smelly part allready (including the burnt-taste going along with that). Then I coninue to smoke like normal; and if there is still some burnt taste/foul smell left I simply put on a few drops of fresh liquid, then continue smoking again.

It's just a routine-thing for me, happens at least one or more times (sometimes more, across several devices) a day... Don't the Njoy's clean themselves regularly then, that it's a surprise if it happens with those? (Don't have Njoy myself) - that would account for extra smell and bad-taste I guess... more old liquid to burn then for it...
My ecig sizzles some times in the day i thought they only clean them selfs after 1500 puffs i allso thought the sizzling was fibres on the atomizer have i got it all wrong lol :oops:

UncleMidriff

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2008
Well, I've an update.

Yesterday, on the way to work, with a brand new atomizer, I noticed my battery (not the one that I was using during the sizzling incident) was flashing. This was a freshly charged battery, so I was pretty certain it wasn't telling me that it was running out of power. The flashing lasted maybe 10 to 15 seconds, and then stopped. After that I took a puff, and what do you know, it tasted burnt. And sure enough, the battery wasn't running out of power, as it lasted me the whole rest of the day.

So, it seems that this was caused by the unit attempting to clean itself after X number of puffs. I have no idea what the value of X is, but it makes sense that it would happen around the same time for both of my batteries, since I use them both equally. Also, since this was a new atomizer, it didn't have much gunk in there to clean up, I guess, because the burnt-ness lasted a much shorter period of time than it did with the previous atomizer.

Kit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2008
UK
Uncle Midriff said:
Well, I've an update.

Yesterday, on the way to work, with a brand new atomizer, I noticed my battery (not the one that I was using during the sizzling incident) was flashing. This was a freshly charged battery, so I was pretty certain it wasn't telling me that it was running out of power. The flashing lasted maybe 10 to 15 seconds, and then stopped. After that I took a puff, and what do you know, it tasted burnt. And sure enough, the battery wasn't running out of power, as it lasted me the whole rest of the day.

So, it seems that this was caused by the unit attempting to clean itself after X number of puffs. I have no idea what the value of X is, but it makes sense that it would happen around the same time for both of my batteries, since I use them both equally. Also, since this was a new atomizer, it didn't have much gunk in there to clean up, I guess, because the burnt-ness lasted a much shorter period of time than it did with the previous atomizer.
Im not so sure !The flashing is usual indication of over puffing more than you should in 1 minute and not a cleaning cycle interesting to see what other people think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread