No Avatars might be next!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
I understand the new announcement about no flashing graphics and that's fine whether I agree it will turn into a "fairground" or not is irrelevant. But to even consider taking away one of the things that makes us identifiable as an individual on a forum is just crazy talk. What next, no signature, or maybe a signature that's the size of a smiley? May be they meant animated avatars as well but even those aren't bad, honestly how bad is it? Come on... I chalk this up to the older generation, I don't know if they just don't get it or if they just don't like what they don't fully understand. It's the same thing with E-Cigs, most of the older generation of the public are the ones that are afraid of them because it scares them that thy don't fully understand them. One word "Ignorance" and I don't think it's their fault I just think that they were lead to believe what isn't normal isn't right and should be ignored or stomped out. The younger generation is more open to things and are lead to try and accept new things as they come and not to judge them before they have learned about them.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
West Central Illinois - USA

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
I understand the new announcement about no flashing graphics and that's fine whether I agree it will turn into a "fairground" or not is irrelevant. But to even consider taking away one of the things that makes us identifiable as an individual on a forum is just crazy talk. What next, no signature, or maybe a signature that's the size of a smiley? May be they meant animated avatars as well but even those aren't bad, honestly how bad is it? Come on... I chalk this up to the older generation, I don't know if they just don't get it or if they just don't like what they don't fully understand. It's the same thing with E-Cigs, most of the older generation of the public are the ones that are afraid of them because it scares them that thy don't fully understand them. One word "Ignorance" and I don't think it's their fault I just think that they were lead to believe what isn't normal isn't right and should be ignored or stomped out. The younger generation is more open to things and are lead to try and accept new things as they come and not to judge them before they have learned about them.

Just my opinion.

Being a techy and someone who's no longer a kid ... I can understand the restriction against animated sigs. It can dog a client machine if not on sufficient bandwidth to support it and, the bigger deal in my mind, potentially infect a client machine if the underlying code has been hacked.

This move by the admins may have been in response to being flagged as unsafe by at least one anti-virus program.

Jan

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
If i read it right, i thought they were going to just stop the animated avatars, not all avatars...but i have been wrong before

I also read it that way. Seems there's not much love for a polka-dot tongue! :(

Maybe I'll have to have 4 different avatars and just change them really fast? :D

Timtam

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
Australia
All that will be blocked is gif's in signatures for now. We will see how that works out, and decide what to do with avatars after that.

NOTE: We are not removing the ability to have a signature, we are just removing the ability to have an animated signature. We would never completely remove the ability to have an avatar or signature.

Kimmy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Some people have older computers (not me, don't have worry about slow comps since I have a MAC), but those who do have these computers, a page could take forever to load because of anything animated.

I myself am not effected by this new rule change, and I can see their reasoning, and agree with it. And I'm not old!!!!!! 21!!!!!!!! =)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm not going to go into the subject matter of your post, other than to say your conclusions are absurd.
Obviously there are a lot more logical reasons for the restrictions.

But I am wondering, what was the point of this rant?

beecee

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Valley of the Sunstroke
I really don't see the need for an animated sig anyway. I look at this forum from work and I don't like when there is an animated graphic because it draws attention to my screen. I already hide the forum heading graphic but I don't want to hide the avatars, typically the animated avatars are not flashy (I love MM's avatar!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread