No Flavour from Kanger KBOX Nano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtytactics

Apr 25, 2018
Hi guys, newbie here! Sorry for probably repeating a question you may have heard lots of times but wondered if anyone can help!?

I have a Kanger KBOX Nano mod with a top tank and I have been vaping Mirage Platinum Dodger juice (30pg/70vg, 6mg).

I am really struggling with getting a balance right, to the point that I would happily invest in something new if needed.

I’ve been using 0.5ohm Clapton coils, and love the taste and vape production. However i have constant problems with spitting / gurgling etc, which made it less enjoyable. I tried various settings from anything around 25W to 60W and adjusted the air flow in various ways. It would work for a while but the coil would flood quickly, causing spitting etc. again (note 45w to 50w seemed to be the sweet spot for me).
To stop the flooding issue I would soak up the excess juice in the coil by dipping tissue paper inside, which would cure the problem for a short period of time but it would soon start again.
So I have now switched to SSOC coils at 1.2 ohm, and now I get no spitting/ gurgling noises and no flooding but literally no flavour too. The coil says 7w-15w on the side and I tried that whole range but still no flavour. I even pushed it up to 25w and it just tasted awful and burnt.

Any ideas how I can start enjoying vaping again would be welcome as this is so frustrating!

Thanks in advance!
DT

Reactions: stols001

Jokin Yu

Unresolved Status
Apr 25, 2018
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome to ECF. Hopefully someone will be along with an answer for you. It could be the device is malfunctioning somehow, it's also possible you've encountered vaper's tongue, where your tastebuds die off and you don't taste the vape for a period of time. It passes, and if you search "vaper's tongue" using the search function, you will find more info and that may help you isolate the problem.

If it's your device, well hopefully someone will be along with a solution and etc.

Anna

Reactions: Dirtytactics

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
"Flooding" is a common occurrence in e-cigarettes. The definition of flooding is getting juice into the air passage of the tank. This can include any point between the mouth piece and the very bottom part that connects to the battery. Each tank has holes in that air passage, where the wicks passthrough. This is required for the device to work properly. Unfortunately, this opens up the possibility for flooding. The trick with flooding, is knowing how to avoid it. A few common causes for flooding a tank include:

Improper Filling:
When filling your tank, you have to be careful not to get juice into the center tube of the tank. This center tube is the air passage. When you take a draw, air comes from the bottom of the tank, through the air passage and into your mouth. If you get juice into this passage way, your tank is flooded.

Over Filling: If you over fill a tank (specifically a top coil like the ones that come with the starter kits and gift boxes), the wicks can become over saturated and just like a rain cloud, they will leak into the air passage. Once this happens, you have a flooded tank.

Pulling Too Hard: As I mentioned the wicks absorb the juice in the tank. As you pull on the device, you cause a vacuum effect that pulls juice into the wicks. If you pull too hard, you can pull in more juice then the coil can vaporize. If this happens, the juice leaks into the air passage and you have a flooded tank.

Temperature: E-Juice is a viscous liquid. Which means that as it warms up, it will thin out. And in the opposite form, it will thicken when it gets cold. When it thins, it is more difficult for the wicks to hold back the thin juice. This usually causes the wicks to over saturate and, you guessed it, it will leak into the air passage and you have a flooded tank.

Damage: There are o-rings and gaskets used that can wear out with usage. If certain ones fail or get lost, leaking will occur, in turn flooding the air passage and causing you to have a flooded tank. Other than accidentally losing something, damage can occur when its carried in a purse or a pocket or by over tightening the tank to the battery. Over tightening is a very common cause of leaking due to the damage it creates.

I'm guessing that you are pulling too hard while you vape. Try a gentler slower vaping technique. A Word on Vaping Technique

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
Baditude has some good feedback for you. I used to pull way too hard when I first quit smoking and started vaping. As far as your vape device, I have had nothing but bad experience with Kanger, especially with their toptanks. If you are comfortable with Kanger watch the YouTube video link supplied by Baditude. Otherwise I would try a different tank setup. I have a lot of different tanks and each one is unique in the way they vape. Some I have to pull harder than others or vice versa. Some I have to use mouth to lung and others Direct lung hit is better. In the end it is your vaping preference and techniques. Good luck, hope you can find your happy medium

Dirtytactics

Apr 25, 2018
Baditude has some good feedback for you. I used to pull way too hard when I first quit smoking and started vaping. As far as your vape device, I have had nothing but bad experience with Kanger, especially with their toptanks. If you are comfortable with Kanger watch the YouTube video link supplied by Baditude. Otherwise I would try a different tank setup. I have a lot of different tanks and each one is unique in the way they vape. Some I have to pull harder than others or vice versa. Some I have to use mouth to lung and others Direct lung hit is better. In the end it is your vaping preference and techniques. Good luck, hope you can find your happy medium

Thanks Edwin,

I’d be interested to know which device you have found the best from your range of devices as I’m probably going to give something else a go if Baditudes suggestions don’t resolve it for me.

Dirtytactics

Apr 25, 2018
Welcome to ECF. Hopefully someone will be along with an answer for you. It could be the device is malfunctioning somehow, it's also possible you've encountered vaper's tongue, where your tastebuds die off and you don't taste the vape for a period of time. It passes, and if you search "vaper's tongue" using the search function, you will find more info and that may help you isolate the problem.

If it's your device, well hopefully someone will be along with a solution and etc.

Anna
Thank you for your reply I very much appreciated your thoughts. I don’t feel it is vapour tongue and probably more down to the device or how I use it because I can taste the vapour when I smoke it with the Clapton coils, but I just end up with all of the other issues instead.

Dirtytactics

Apr 25, 2018
"Flooding" is a common occurrence in e-cigarettes. The definition of flooding is getting juice into the air passage of the tank. This can include any point between the mouth piece and the very bottom part that connects to the battery. Each tank has holes in that air passage, where the wicks passthrough. This is required for the device to work properly. Unfortunately, this opens up the possibility for flooding. The trick with flooding, is knowing how to avoid it. A few common causes for flooding a tank include:

Improper Filling:
When filling your tank, you have to be careful not to get juice into the center tube of the tank. This center tube is the air passage. When you take a draw, air comes from the bottom of the tank, through the air passage and into your mouth. If you get juice into this passage way, your tank is flooded.

Over Filling: If you over fill a tank (specifically a top coil like the ones that come with the starter kits and gift boxes), the wicks can become over saturated and just like a rain cloud, they will leak into the air passage. Once this happens, you have a flooded tank.

Pulling Too Hard: As I mentioned the wicks absorb the juice in the tank. As you pull on the device, you cause a vacuum effect that pulls juice into the wicks. If you pull too hard, you can pull in more juice then the coil can vaporize. If this happens, the juice leaks into the air passage and you have a flooded tank.

Temperature: E-Juice is a viscous liquid. Which means that as it warms up, it will thin out. And in the opposite form, it will thicken when it gets cold. When it thins, it is more difficult for the wicks to hold back the thin juice. This usually causes the wicks to over saturate and, you guessed it, it will leak into the air passage and you have a flooded tank.

Damage: There are o-rings and gaskets used that can wear out with usage. If certain ones fail or get lost, leaking will occur, in turn flooding the air passage and causing you to have a flooded tank. Other than accidentally losing something, damage can occur when its carried in a purse or a pocket or by over tightening the tank to the battery. Over tightening is a very common cause of leaking due to the damage it creates.

I'm guessing that you are pulling too hard while you vape. Try a gentler slower vaping technique. A Word on Vaping Technique

This is a very useful post thank you. Loads of different things to try and very informative! Very much appreciate your time!

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Coil flooding in a Kanger tank is usually caused by an improperly installed or faulty coil head. If another coil works according to its specifications, that means the problem coil either wasn't installed right (even if done at the factory) or it's deficient.

I've used Kanger tanks for years. This has been the case since Kanger pioneered the bottom coil concept with the Protank.

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
Thanks Edwin,

I’d be interested to know which device you have found the best from your range of devices as I’m probably going to give something else a go if Baditudes suggestions don’t resolve it for me.
I personally use a Smok mag 225w starter kit with TFV12 PRINCE TANK. Has adjustable wattage and Temperature control. Use 2-18650 high drain batteries. The Prince tank holds up to 8ml of ejuice, and you have a few coils to choose from to suit your needs. I like to build my own coils, and have a Prince RBA. Do some research before you buy. Most sites sell this starter kit for up to $100. I got mine for $49.90. Check out cheapvaping.deals for some good deals.
Thanks Edwin,

Thanks Edwin,

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
Right now I am using 6 different tanks with 6 different flavors. I use the Smok TFV12 Prince tank and the Smok Cloud King on a Smok mag 225w mod, which i can adjust the wattage or temperature to my liking. I also use a Limitless Gold RDTA on my Mag. I use a Sigelei 75w box mod with adjustable wattage and Temperature control for my Ijoy Limitless sub ohm tank (don't use this tank thinking you can upgrade to a 6ml, can't find the 6ml juice extender anywhere) and Steam Crave Aromamizer. A 75w mod will work sufficiently for most sub ohm tanks. I also use an Innokin Coolfire IV TC-18650 with it's original tank and a Harvest V2 tank. I have others I use from time to time, but these are my favorite. I like the TFV12 PRINCE TANK on the Smok mag the most.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Any ideas how I can start enjoying vaping again would be welcome as this is so frustrating!
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might want to try another mod and one with TC. Your juice may have a narrow optimum taste temperature setting for your mod. By trying a different mod and a TC mod, you may be able to eliminate or confirm the narrow taste temperature setting/your mod aspect of the problem. A B&M vape shop may let you experiment/help solve.

Dirtytactics

Apr 25, 2018
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might want to try another mod and one with TC. Your juice may have a narrow optimum taste temperature setting for your mod. By trying a different mod and a TC mod, you may be able to eliminate or confirm the narrow taste temperature setting/your mod aspect of the problem. A B&M vape shop may let you experiment/help solve.

Thanks, I am going to try a new device!

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Thats part of the fun of vaping. Finding what works. I started with toptanks myself. After the first month, i felt like i wasnt getting enough out of it and tried direct lung hits with it. Kinda worked even though it was a very restricted dl and tended to roast the coils fairly quickly. Second setup i got was a nautilus 2. Again i was trying to dl a mtl device and it didnt work out for me either. I then went to smok tpriv kit with the big baby beast and found the vape and flavor i was looking for. This worked fine, still does though i eventually got bigger tanks for it. My search has taken me into rta territory as of recently and i really like these as well. The wotofo bravo performed so well that i bought a second one (shinyitis group would understand this). There are a multitude of choices, with tanks, rebuildables and juice that make this journey both frustrating and exciting at the same time. Welcome to the world of vaping. Vape on!!

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Thanks, I am going to try a new device!
I used the nano top tank for a long time and was overall satisfied but mine did gurgle too. I changed the o-rings and the coils and it performed better. Also, when I first put in the coil I would drag on it without firing and with the airflow closed to prime it real good. I would also keep the airflow closed when I filled it. Don't know why but that really seemed to help. I now use the top tank mini with the rba and do not have that issue anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread