No fuss kinda guy, too much info everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there I'm new here, I've tried to find the answer by reading around but really all I could find was that KR808 would suit me fine enough - I don't really know what brands are KR808!

I probably represent the large portion of new ecig wannabees - too much information out there

I googled best electronic cigarette and got this : Best E Cigarette Reviews 2013: Brutal reviews, no hype

I came here and read some awful reviews of V2 right off the bat!

All I want is a plain black cigarette (preferably) with no big logo that won't cause me big issues, help!

Madison76

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
Columbia, SC
I can't help you with the cig-a-likes because I never tried them. I never tried them because they usually suck at helping you avoid nicotine craving. Almost everyone wants to mimic their smoking experience by having a device look, feel and taste exactly like what they used to smoke.

There are positive reviews out there about NJoy's line of cig-a-likes and probably for others. Take a look at Youtube. For purpose of discussion - why are you set on that? There is much more out there that is easy and ready to use out of the box if you can tell yourself that vaping is just not smoking. It is different and better.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Get a very basic kit if you go that route. Chances of outgrowing it are pretty high. Perfect transition from regular cigs though for many. Just don't spend too much on a high end kit. 2-3 batts, usb charger, and 10 blank cartos and some juice is all you need to get going. Volts from Smokeless Imgage perform great for cigalikes. Lots of vapor in a little package.

One downside to 808's is the threading isn't compatible with the widely used 510/ego stuff (without adapters). Keep that in mind.

Positives:

small and stealthy
simple maintenance
close to the feel of the real thing
not expensive if you do your homework

Negatives:

Really short battery life (2-3 hours tops for moderate vaping)
So-so vapor production but not bad with a good cartro
Difficult to tell when you need to add juice
Small juice capacity so lots of refilling

Last edited:

jpwr25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2011
Southern Illinois
First of all, welcome! I know the information overload can be too much to handle at times, especially when starting out! Forgive me if what I'm about to post is too basic for you, I'm going to assume you are brand new to vaping. First of all, it sounds like you are looking for what we call a "cig-a-like." That is, an e-cig that resembles a cigarette. Nothing wrong with that. You might also be interested in "cartomizers." A cartomizer is a liquid filled cartridge with an atomizer attached. These can be refilled and fiddled with, or if it's not a budgetary concern, simply disposed of when empty.

Now, with that said, there are lots of companies that make a product to fit the bill for you, and everyone will have a different opinion. My advice is to look at volcano e cigs. They carry a model called the magma, which is a cigarette sized battery and pre-filled cartomizers. I believe they also include a pack to charge your gear on the go. I started at volcano years ago, and they are a reliable one stop shop and are very new-user friendly. I'm sure others will chime in with their own recommendations. Good luck!

Edit: As mentioned above, the magma should be compatible with 510 accessories, which gives you more options when you decide to expand.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
First, I can understand wanting a cigalike but, forget it - I went that route, thought it had to pretty much look and feel like a cigarette to be any good for me. I was wrong. Now for availability of topper options, I'd go with an eGo battery - 2 650mah or 100 mah will do, get a pro tank, a Vision tank and, a pack of 510 cartomizers. Now get 3-5 juices in small bottles that you think you will like and, play with it. That will get you going, and give you a really good idea of what all you really want from vaping.

It should do you fine for anywhere form 3 months to a year, depending on you but, you will outgrow it. Then it's time for the Provari or another good VV model that uses whatever topper style you have decided you like best and, those ego batteries are probably still going to be good when you out grow them. Great way to help a friend get started, get them a couple of new toppers and a bit of juice, and, give them your old stuff to learn with.

Lombaowski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
DC via the 313
I started off with a JoyeTech eCab. I actually quit analogs the day after I got it. I'm not sure what qualifies something as a 'cig-alike' but this did the trick for me.

Agree with this. I think the Original Vapor King is fine also but if you start with this you go to the liquids right away to get the hang of things. Just figuring out all the lingo and the different systems is really daunting, and I think it discourages people. That's why visiting a brick&mortar was so helpful for me. I knew the screw on cartos didn't work for me (get me to stop the analogs) so that was good info to have, but after an hour in the B&M I felt much more knowledgeable about undertaking this kind of lifestyle change.

Keep reading, I still have a ton to learn and that's why I am looking at these forums now.

szot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Last edited:

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Go ahead and get a small one if that's what would make you happy. All of my cig-likes came from regular old smoke shops. Cig easy, vapor4life, smokeless image, and Halo are just a few vendors on ECF that carry them. My one bit of advice: go high nicotine.When I use my little batteries 24 mg and up or I get irritated. Good luck & I hope you find something that works for you :)

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
Be aware that 808 and 510 are different types of threading on batteries. 510 is probably the most popular and most all devices/toppers are interchangeable with that thread type. 808 is usually found on cigalike types and you will have a harder time finding compatible devices of that type with different suppliers. Adapters can be used but can be a pita.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I don't know why people buy 808 thread devices, unless they find their "one and only" and call it a day.

and as for kits that utilize joyetech proprietary atomisers....well, I just don't get that either. (e-roll, e-cab etc.)

Buy the biggest or smallest e-cig you feel like, but remember

look-a-likes are expensive for what they are. you need to charge them a lot and if you use "refills" (i.e. cartomizers that you thrown away when finished) it will cost you far more than filling your own.

I vape on almost anything....seriously, but they are all compatible with everything else I own.

The smallest e-cigs I have are

Joyetech 510 manual cig-a-likes - uses refillable cartomizers
mini ego battery - uses carto's or clearomisers.

Both perfectly good and inexpensive and not tied into any "system" inadvertently. :)

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
I have always tried to steer people to 510 equip because in the long run it will be cheaper for them. Things just work well together and you can use just about any supplier and take advantage of sales which I love. With the 808 you are very limited in where you get your products if they run out you wait. I started with the 808 and been there done that.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I have always tried to steer people to 510 equip because in the long run it will be cheaper for them. Things just work well together and you can use just about any supplier and take advantage of sales which I love. With the 808 you are very limited in where you get your products if they run out you wait. I started with the 808 and been there done that.

I could have written this.... every last detail.

GOOD POST. :)

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
That's how I started, and I still use 808s for out and about or bedside. I started with Volts from Smokeless Image...Halo is another that I have used with good results.

I've moved on to bigger batts and clearos, but like many new vapors, cig-sized was what I thought I needed to start.

If I had it all to do over, I think 510s would have been better. Just way more options for growth.

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies and sorry for my slow followup...I still have not decided what to do, but I'm looking closely at the Bloog line -

I'm a casual smoker..I don't smoke every day, only when I go out to drink or at band practice, which is 1-3 times a week.

So in that respect, I want something simple that looks like a cigarette as I only smoke in public.

Would the bloog be recommended for something like that? thx again

uncleAl

Jun 2, 2013
VA
If you want to stay with the 808 idea, you can try My Vapor Store. They have a $30 starter kit, & 5 pack carts. you could consider a charge case if you're out longer times. I began with V2 & Bloog and found them just too expensive, but still keep them for simple use. You should soon refill your own carts and V2's forum has 808 how-to info. Agreed that 510 is the standard, but you gotta start with what makes you comfortable. 510's and eGos can be next You're right about too much information here, most of us are just beginning and not quite ready to go for a Provari or rebuild coils.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
thanks for all the replies and sorry for my slow followup...I still have not decided what to do, but I'm looking closely at the Bloog line -

I'm a casual smoker..I don't smoke every day, only when I go out to drink or at band practice, which is 1-3 times a week.

So in that respect, I want something simple that looks like a cigarette as I only smoke in public.

Wow....old thread re-born!

if you smoke very little and just want one for occasional use, can you not simply buy plain batteries and cartomisers in the US.

I would say, get a battery, a charger, some e-liquid and a 5-pack of cartomisers. Personally, I'd go with a 510 battery and get the best you can buy. That probably won't be bloog or another branded battery "kit"...but it could be...

I bought 2 x Joyetech 510 batteries (280mAh) and some Boge cartomisers.

2 x £8.99 + £6.00 + a charger (£5) and some juice. The kit shouldn't cost more than £30 UK. That's $45. :)

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX

Yes, if you want an 808 thread/cig-alike type device, Bloog is a good choice. So are Smokeless Image and Elite Vapor Works.

ETA: Not all cartomizers are created equal. I tried an 808 kit before I found Smokeless Image. It was like trying to suck a thick milkshake through a straw. It was only the glowing recommendations from experienced vapers that convinced me to give the 808 another chance.

Last edited:
If you want to stay with the 808 idea, you can try My Vapor Store. They have a $30 starter kit, & 5 pack carts. you could consider a charge case if you're out longer times. I began with V2 & Bloog and found them just too expensive, but still keep them for simple use. You should soon refill your own carts and V2's forum has 808 how-to info. Agreed that 510 is the standard, but you gotta start with what makes you comfortable. 510's and eGos can be next You're right about too much information here, most of us are just beginning and not quite ready to go for a Provari or rebuild coils.

Thanks for the info!

I thought that if I bought the Bloog that I could use carts/liq and refill from any store, not just the bloog store? What did you find too expensive about Bloog that made you switch to the My Vapor Store - was it just the refill components or the actual battery/main chassis?

Also I'm in Toronto Canada which may make selection more limited due to shipping charges, but I did notice some online stores in canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread