No longer accepting "IMR" on a battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    This has gone on long enough. These companies should know better.

I will no longer be accepting a battery with "IMR" on the wrap as being accurately labeled unless it actually uses the battery chemistry that "IMR" is used for (by the big manufacturers).

The use of "IMR" on the batteries marketed to vapers is a big problem. The chemistry for that model number prefix is one of the safest available in Li-Ion batteries. There are a lot of older online articles for vapers saying that only IMR batteries should be used for vaping. This makes batteries with "IMR" on the wrap seem to be a safe choice.

One big problem though...I don't think we use any batteries with that chemistry anymore.

Almost all the cylindrical batteries we use are "hybrid" chemistry batteries, i.e., the batteries that are using the "INR" model number prefix (or its equivalent) by the big manufacturers.

That makes me wonder if...

1) These Chinese battery manufacturers and rewrappers just use "IMR" as a way to make us think the battery is a safe chemistry to get us to buy the battery.

2) It's just become a generic tag that means "non-LiPo".

3) These Chinese battery manufacturers and rewrappers don't know the difference between the different chemistries and actually think they are selling batteries that use the same chemistry as in batteries using the "IMR" model number prefix.

Whichever might be true, all of these scenarios are completely unacceptable. Especially in this environment of increased regulations and government scrutiny.

The use of "IMR" by the Chinese battery manufacturers and rewrappers is confusing and unnecessary. There is absolutely no reason to have "IMR" on any battery unless it uses the correct matching chemistry. I will be calling out the batteries from these Chinese companies that do not use "IMR" correctly. There was no good reason to ever use it and it's time to stop.

My test reports from now on will reflect this.

Our community deserves accurate ratings and labeling. These companies have had years to get it right. Lets speak with our wallets and see what we can do.

IMG_5456.jpg
    Additional notes:
    If a company wants to indicate on the wrap which chemistry is used in their battery then I feel they should use the standard industry acronyms for that chemistry, e.g., LMO, NCA, LCA, NMC, LCO, etc. They should not use a battery model number prefix from Samsung/Sony/LG/Panasonic/Sanyo to try to indicate anything.

I'll be addressing all of this stuff about IMR/INR/ICR being model number prefixes and not batteries chemistries soon. There's a lot to cover though. :)

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Quite honestly, I expect things to get worse, not better. For example, I recently saw a supplier post that implied they're creating a new battery but apparently they've done absolutely no in-house testing to determine whether they're safe or not.

While the membership here has a decent grasp on things, we're a tiny minority to the others that are looking at batteries. Just look at all the new member posts that are saying they bought their batteries on fleabay. Then we have the B&Ms that are totally clueless and take the specifications on the wrap as gospel. The stocking of unsafe batteries attests to this fact.

I hate to say it, but the vast majority of vapers are totally clueless when it comes to battery safety. And to rely on vape shop employees and owners is akin to the blind leading the blind.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Why would you trust that source? Do the folks on the forums there certify them to help?
    I've also bought lots of batteries from fasttech and have all been good batteries. I have bought plenty of other stuff with no complaints. They're pretty clear labeling if a product is a clone or authentic. Fasttech is on the up and up with their business practices and the only complaint I have with them is shipping time but it's coming from China and passing through customs so really it's not their fault.

Reactions: JC Okie

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I've also bought lots of batteries from fasttech and have all been good batteries. I have bought plenty of other stuff with no complaints. They're pretty clear labeling if a product is a clone or authentic. Fasttech is on the up and up with their business practices and the only complaint I have with them is shipping time but it's coming from China and passing through customs so really it's not their fault.

Tx. Was just wondering because I've not seen it on the usual list of reliable go-to sources for OEM batteries.

But you're sure right, FT has become a good source for us if willing to wait.

Outcast

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 28, 2013
    Vermont
    This has gone on long enough. These companies should know better.

I will no longer be accepting a battery with "IMR" on the wrap as being accurately labeled unless it actually uses the battery chemistry that "IMR" is used for (by the big manufacturers).

The use of "IMR" on the batteries marketed to vapers is a big problem. The chemistry for that model number prefix is one of the safest available in Li-Ion batteries. There are a lot of older online articles for vapers saying that only IMR batteries should be used for vaping. This makes batteries with "IMR" on the wrap seem to be a safe choice.

One big problem though...I don't think we use any batteries with that chemistry anymore.

Almost all the cylindrical batteries we use are "hybrid" chemistry batteries, i.e., the batteries that are using the "INR" model number prefix (or its equivalent) by the big manufacturers.

That makes me wonder if...

1) These Chinese battery manufacturers and rewrappers just use "IMR" as a way to make us think the battery is a safe chemistry to get us to buy the battery.

2) It's just become a generic tag that means "non-LiPo".

3) These Chinese battery manufacturers and rewrappers don't know the difference between the different chemistries and actually think they are selling batteries that use the same chemistry as in batteries using the "IMR" model number prefix.

Whichever might be true, all of these scenarios are completely unacceptable. Especially in this environment of increased regulations and government scrutiny.

The use of "IMR" by the Chinese battery manufacturers and rewrappers is confusing and unnecessary. There is absolutely no reason to have "IMR" on any battery unless it uses the correct matching chemistry. I will be calling out the batteries from these Chinese companies that do not use "IMR" correctly. There was no good reason to ever use it and it's time to stop.

My test reports from now on will reflect this.

Our community deserves accurate ratings and labeling. These companies have had years to get it right. Lets speak with our wallets and see what we can do.

Additional notes:
    If a company wants to indicate on the wrap which chemistry is used in their battery then I feel they should use the standard industry acronyms for that chemistry, e.g., LMO, NCA, LCA, NMC, LCO, etc. They should not use a battery model number prefix from Samsung/Sony/LG/Panasonic/Sanyo to try to indicate anything.

I'll be addressing all of this stuff about IMR/INR/ICR being model number prefixes and not batteries chemistries soon. There's a lot to cover though. :)

Think I shorted out a battery "user error" was taking off the rda on my mcv CB did not see the hole center was unscrewing the copper nut came off hit the bus bar and my batter made a high pitch noise I unscrewed the batteries but one was vary hot other fine after cooling down I put on the charger it made that noise agen and was reading 0.00 volts but the other seems fine would you throw out the set or just the one
    I was using lg hb6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Think I shorted out a battery "user error" was taking off the rda on my mcv CB did not see the hole center was unscrewing the copper nut came off hit the bus bar and my batter made a high pitch noise I unscrewed the batteries but one was vary hot other fine after cooling down I put on the charger it made that noise agen and was reading 0.00 volts but the other seems fine would you throw out the set or just the one
    I was using lg hb6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no way for me to know the conditon of that second battery so I'm forced to err on the side of caution and to recommend replacing both. It might be fine, I just don't know though.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    elboinas.gif

I'd prefer for you to continue your modest review work without any more prejudices. Give love to this stuff (yet never stop learning from fears), express your opinions and that's about it.

:angel:

My apologies. I don't know what you're actually saying.

Prejudices? Now or earlier or don't do it in the future?
    Give love to what stuff?

Reactions: CMD-Ky

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Tx. Was just wondering because I've not seen it on the usual list of reliable go-to sources for OEM batteries.

But you're sure right, FT has become a good source for us if willing to wait.
    Just to add to that, I ordered a new battery charger and some odds and ends on Monday this week and on Saturday it is in Chicago. :drool: That is insane, I was prepared to wait a couple of weeks at least. I don't think I will actually get it today, probably Monday, but still that is insanely fast.

Reactions: r77r7r
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread