No more burnt atty taste after use!!! Found answer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

M0dM4n :)

May 22, 2010
Earth
I got my eGo last Thursday and ever since I have been HOOKED!
I have been looking all over the net and at all these different sights to see if there is anything I wanted to try/upgrade and what not. I mean thats literally all I have been doing and I have learned so much in the past few days that I think I am getting a migraine! lol
Well the other day I noticed this funky burnt carpet taste coming from my atty! It was really like smoking 24MG .... in a Bottle from North Korea. lol (just kidding)
But really it was badddd! I was tired of looking for help on forums and decided I had to start taking things into my own hands and learning the hard way.
Even though I got a HUGE understanding of it all here, thats the best way for me to get inside the thing and really learn.
When I got my eGo, I ordered an extra atty w/ 2 sour apple 10MG.
At first I was getting HUGE vapor then I noticed it kinda went down.
I was using carts and not getting anywhere. I was flooding my atty and my pv was starting to kinda die. Well I flushed it and then it was good again for a bit. Then about 2 days ago I took a hit and . . . . Blehhhh. Roasted styrofoam in the mouth. :pervy:
Anyways, so I changed the atty and cleaned the whole unit and made sure everything was ok. Well it was all good except the old atty smelled funky. And I noticed that there was this like light brown/greenish blob right under the left side of the bridge! For new people the bridge is the metal loop or bump in the atty. Well I got to thinking and decided since I had an extra and was planning on buying some LR atty's anyway, so I sacrificed an atty for science and the bettering of my knowledge. I got a needle and went to poke at it a little (with the battery detached lol) and then these wicks came out. I had herd that they were in the atty's, I just didn't know where.
When I pulled them out, they were brown/green and they had burnt tips. I smelled them and found out THE WICK was the SOURCE of the bad taste.

That's my personal opinion not backed up by any facts other than the limited knowledge I have acquired in the past 2 weeks.

I saw the coil under the bridge and put it back on the battery and gave it 2 drops of sour apple. Boom, taste like heaven again, but I didn't stop there. I saw that the bridge was blocking the coil (I think for cooling?) and thought I wonder if it were just pure coil, what would come of it? So I found a way to get a really small pocket knife in the atty and got the mesh off the bridge until it was completely exposed. Then I popped the bridge off and kept the mesh on the sides because I thought it was there to stop the drainage. Cleaned out the whole unit with a wet Q-tip dipped in water (CAREFUL! When you do this make sure to keep it away from coil and mesh!) and then I blew out the atty and put a drop or 2 in and BOOOOOM! :shock::vapor:
I got the most massive vape that knocked me on my ....!!!!
The unit is SO MUCH easier to clean without the bridge in the way! And the Manual eGo is perfect for this type of mod!
So I got super excited thinking that I was the FIRST PERSON EVER to discover this!!!!!
Then I went to you tube out of curiosity and wow. . . . LAME!
They have a video on how to do the whole thing. I like the way I did it a little better because I am jealous someone else found out and posted it before me lol!
But no more chemical .... taste in your mouth from burnt wicks and the bridge mod might be for drippers only. 510 users might go through juice a bit quick, but it tastes pure and on the 2ed puff your pullin' huge vapes!!! *Just learned how to clean the wicks and that might be better!*
This could potentially kill your atty so try with a dead one first and never touch the coil even if you have a little wick on it. The coil is delicate and remember the coil is glued in there on each side. That's not wick or build up. Rule of thumb is don't touch it.

I hope this helps some of you! I know I had a blast doing atty surgery and coming out with an awesome result! I thought I was going to just dissect it and learn a little, but I resurrected it and learned A LOT! :D

Pro's:
SUPER easy to clean! Just watch the coil.
Huge vape!
Awesome flavor!
Not likely to flood if you keep side mesh in. (did about 100 tests and got nothing on the battery) Just remember 2 drops.
The coil gets really hot, so a dry burn will get 90% of extra juice.

Con's:
Like the last Pro states: The coil gets super hot. With no bridge or wicks to keep it at a set max temp, you have much much more heat. Let it cool between vapes or risk your hard work and atty.
You could kill your atty really easy with this mod, so use a dead one or one that tastes like crap and your going to get rid of anyways.
I tried a cart with it an got nothing. I am sure there are some hard core cart users here that can pull it off but for a noob like me, no dice. Drippers only. . . ish lol

Found a guy who has had his modded like this and its been going strong for 2 months. Oh and this was a dead one he risked, so he got double life out of it. I have been hitting it non stop for a day now and it's still kicking strong! The best part is the coil cleans itself, and everything else is right there to clean. No tricks or tips, just right there. I hope you guys get excited about this like I did. :D
It was a lot of fun figuring it out on my own, but I won't lie, I felt stupid when I found that guys guide! lol

Keep Vaping my friends.

p.s. the eGo ROCKS!!!!

*These are all my opinions based off of my limited 2 week experience with the eGo. They should not in any way be considered a %100 fact.*

Last edited:

May 22, 2010
Earth
Can you explain why you would not want to use a cart when the wick is taken out?

I personally would only be a dripper after being a cart user for a bit.
It's not for some though. No idea why you couldn't use it when the wicks are out, but if the bridge is out, no dice. Also, I would do any of this unless your ok with risking one or resurrecting an atty from the grave (one that still gets hot) for a dripping atty only. I tried no wick with cart and got no vape. Then I tried it with no bridge and wick, got none either. . .
Then I did a dry burn got it clean asap and put a drop or 2 in and BOOM!
:D
Give it a shot if you have extra, you never know!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Your results on getting the wick to burn or melt run counter to everyone else who has tried that on this forum. Electrical engineers, chemists, and many other's with professional equipment here on this forum have heated the wicking material to measured temperatures far beyond what could ever be produced in the atomizer and everybody is in agreement that it is not possible for the atomizer to burn or melt the wicking strands.

The main result from heating the wicking material to such high temperatures is that all of the built up, baked on gunk is burned away leaving the wicking material clean. This is actually the best way to clean your atomizer (dry burn) and remove that burned taste that you were experiencing.

Kelemvor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Germany NRW
agreed DC2, i have a 6 month old 510 atomizer, its loosing its paint but is performing like new everytime i do a soft dryburn as described on some places in these forums.

@M0dM4n :) : the wick is a glasfibre, and if you believe it or not, after a dryburn its white again.
what you saw on the wick, was just the remains of liquid: baked and dried. a dryburn gets rid of it.

and after that, the atomizer works again with a cart.

May 22, 2010
Earth
Your results on getting the wick to burn or melt run counter to everyone else who has tried that on this forum.

DC2, I just grabbed some tweezers and got an old lighter (vape rocks!!!) and light it up. I guess what was burning was old residue or something other than the wick. I apologize, I did not mean to make you angry. I was just making a quick observation that had no real basis behind the method or any type of real situational aspects when it comes to vaping and the atty temp or the combustion temp at which it ignites at. I trust your opinion more than my own right now because I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to the whole pv world. I know for a fact though that after a week or so, the built up residue on the wick makes the vape taste like your smoking bleach or paint thinner.:vapor: :blink: LOL!
Again, sorry for stating something as a fact without knowing 100% before hand. I will edit that post to make sure that no one is misinformed. Also thanks for the tip!!! What is the actual function of the wick? I thought it was to make sure the coil dose not overheat. No real idea though.

Kelemvor, I will definitely try than on my next atty!
That sounds like a really good idea!!!
I was just so excited that I figured all this out on my own like the 2ed week I owned a pv! lol Sorry next time I post something up I'll make sure to have my facts at 100% ;)

Got a little carried away, but I thought I made a decent post for being so fresh. Not a bad post for a /\/00|3 (noob) huh? lol
Oh and the name is Mod Man, the 4 is supposed to be gamer nerd for an "a" lol I learned that the other day and thought it looked cool.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes!!! I personally think my ego has never performed better after making these mods! Carts, for me, save a lot of juice, but dripping is more for me due to the flavor and the massive vape I get off mine in comparison. :)
Thanks for the help in correcting my post!
I plan on being around for quite a while so I don't want to make anyone mad. Also I am a really nice guy but if I knew more about it and believed in an opinion, I would offer a healthy debate! :D
:)

Last edited:

May 22, 2010
Earth
Hmm....Im think I would have to go to night classes to do this. Im getting that sinking feeling after three drags on my EGO and thats on a freshly dripped full cart.

can anyone tell me how many seconds are safe to a dry burn on an ego to clean the gun off? Mine glows red after approx 1 second.

hahaha I am not sure about night classes! I am just reading more and more to try to be able to mod my own and have an opinion based on facts, not theories.

Now your eGo is turning red? Are you pushing the vape button on the actual unit or the charger? I say the charger because I haven't seen a red light on my eGo while pressing it down to clean before.
I just pushed my White LED Button in and for some reason when it gets to 10 seconds it does a little flash and keeps going. Didn't go past 20 sec though, I didn't want to hurt my unit. Not really sure what the same time is. I know I have been taking long drags and it had gone our before 20 sec, so I am guessing 10 seconds?
*Edit* Just retried it and it made it to 14 seconds and cut off*

Kelemvor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Germany NRW
if its red glowing after only a second the atomizer coil itself should be fine, so make only short burns.

maybe you just got an atomizer from that bad batch some people talk about.

but if not, i would do short dryburns until the smell wents away. but i only do that if i have enough spare atomizers around. i wouldn't mess with only one or two ;)

@M0dM4n :) , i don't think anyone is upset, i can understand how excited you were on your discovery and if you would only drip with these atomizers its a good idea... even if it was mentioned already ;)

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Dripping IS great (been dripping since my first week of using a PV) but Ive never felt the need to remove any wicks - I think dripping keeps the coil nice n moist - also I chain vape, on a 5v PT, my atty gets super hot (510, how I love thee) and that might help keep the gunk at bay. Not had the burnt taste at least.
I'm just now trying 510 cartos which seem like fun even if they wont replace dripping for me.

Thanks for the Tip. I think I may have a faulty Atomizer. BTW its a manual battery.
After 2 to 3 seconds when I push the button on the Battery and look in to the atomizer at both sides of the bridge it glows red and crackles,not unlike the elements in a toaster.

I must try a spare atomizer I have cos all the symptoms seem like it filler is being over heated and drying out.

Thanks again for the pointer.

Last edited:

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
There's an excellent post and video on how to dry burn over in the tips area I believe. I never did save the link and wish I did.

What you find, including the nasty burnt smell, is actually left over charred residue from the eliquid. The dry burn is a way to get rid of that stuff.

Quick and dirty explanation, you should really hunt down the post I mentioned:
Wash the atomizer. As in put in hot tap water for a minute.
Blow it as dry as you can. Wrap your lips around the battery/thread end and blow. Put a tissue or paper towel over the cartridge end to catch the water.
Put the atomizer on a manual battery (your eGo battery will work fine).
Keep heating it until the sizzling sound stops. This is the heating element turning leftover water from the cleaning (and any juice you didn't wash away) to vapor.
Once its dry look down into the atomizer and push the battery button until you can get the coil to glow a dull orange, consistent in color, a dull orange, from side to side. Bright red color is bad, that's too hot. Before you get to the point of a consistent glow across the coil you'll be producing tons of vapor as you literally burn away any juice residue in the bridge and wicking material and coil. The tricky part here is to not burn out the coil. You do not want to keep the battery button held down the whole time. Instead quick on and off to keep the coil hot but not too hot is what you're trying to do. You can blow into the atomizer to see the coil better and keep it cooler. Once you're done you'll have a bit of completely charred residue left. Another hot tap water rinse and blowing out and the atty is clean. You can let it dry or use the battery to dry out the water as in the first part of above. Drip a couple of drops of your eliquid onto the bridge and you're set.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread