No-name e-cig adaptor fried my iPhone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aphlaque_duck

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2010
San Jose, CA
Not sure where I got this thing but it was a car->USB adaptor that came with one of my ecig starter kits. Worked fine for eGo charging but today I plugged my iPhone into it and it instantly killed the phone!

I tested the adaptor and it was putting out 5.3V (open circuit) which seems nothing to be alarmed about. I did not look on a scope so there may be more to the story than that.

I say all this with my foot firmly in-mouth as I recently advised another ecig memeber that these USB supplies are interchangeable (that's the whole reason for using standard plugs!).

So, that's the last time I'll plug my expensive phone into a no-name adaptor. Although I do assign some blame to Apple - over-voltage protection is easy and cheap to do and I'm astonished that it fried so easily. At least they were cool about it and just handed me a new one.

aphlaque_duck

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2010
San Jose, CA
You plugged your iPhone into some no-name charger made for an e-Cig and you "assign some blame to Apple" ??? :blink:

Yes, and I said why. I won't bore you with the details but there is a well known circuit that for a couple cents would have protected the phone.

Also Apple does not even make their own car adaptor, otherwise I certainly would have used it! In their own retail stores they sell a few Chinese 5v USB adaptors from brands you have never heard of, which look almost identical to the one in question. They aren't licensed, certified or anything.

I got a new phone and tossed that adaptor, so all's well that ends well. I only posted as a warning to others and to recant my previous advice.

Last edited:

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
If the voltage and current ratings are within the scope of both devices, they should be safe to use for either... But yeah, I definitely agree that the iPhone should have built-in protection... What do they expect to happen in a power surge?
Haha they expect your phone to turn to a brick and pay for a new one of course!

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I just fried another eGo charger (and the ego itself this time as well) so I feel your pain - I think its my 2amp USB/AC wall charger that's the culprit though and not a surge as I had thought the last time I fried a charger. I gotta get a new one lol (I think Ill get a kit from cignot it comes with an adapter included - live n learn eh lol)

Burn3d

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2011
California
I just fried another eGo charger (and the ego itself this time as well) so I feel your pain - I think its my 2amp USB/AC wall charger that's the culprit though and not a surge as I had thought the last time I fried a charger. I gotta get a new one lol (I think Ill get a kit from cignot it comes with an adapter included - live n learn eh lol)

2amp? I would think 500mA--1A @ ~5V would be max..or am I wrong..I'm new and haven't modded anything YET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread