Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Anyone have a blue Gear rta?
It seems they either used different metals or grades on the different pieces or anodized different parts for different lengths of time. The top/bottom of the main tank section, the chimney and the gear-shaped section of the fill cap are much lighter shade of blue than the AFC & circumference section of the fill cap. The gear-shaped section and chimney match my Trinity Copa tip but the rest is way darker.

so...Anyone have a blue Gear RTA?

advertised
View attachment 799575 mine
View attachment 799579
View attachment 799577
I don’t have one. I do know that adonization can only be done with aluminum. It’s an oxidation process that effectively creates a fantastically thin layer of synthetic sapphire. The colors come from various elements added to the sapphire. Pure sapphire is clear. The darker and more vibrant the color the thicker the layer and the more expensive the process. If they’re different metals it’s a different process

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'll have to break it down and take pix with all the sections side by side to show what a striking color difference there is between pieces.

After I finish the juice in this tank though. MMMMMMMMMMButterscotch :p
Heh. I’m tempted to go on at length on how to set up an old style copy table so you can get the same color Temperature in each shot to show the relative color variation, but I’m so out of it I don’t even know if that really even works for digital photography.
I guess all I can really tell you is “doing what you describe may turn out to be hard” unless it isn’t anymore of course.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Heh. I’m tempted to go on at length on how to set up an old style copy table so you can get the same color Temperature in each shot to show the relative color variation, but I’m so out of it I don’t even know if that really even works for digital photography.
I guess all I can really tell you is “doing what you describe may turn out to be hard” unless it isn’t anymore of course.
All the pieces seem to be darker than pictures online. The tank I received is darker than what is advertised. I sent them examples of both and a description of this issue through FB messenger.

I asked how can they help me. I'll update here with results or lack thereof.

Reactions: Fidola13

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
All the pieces seem to be darker than pictures online.
The tank I received is darker than what is advertised.
I sent them examples of both and a description of this issue through FB messenger.
I asked how can they help me. I'll update here with results or lack thereof.
If it’s real adonization instead of some sort of dye or something, dark is actually good. It means the layer is nice and thick and hard. Better wear resistance. Sadly you can’t sand it down to make it lighter unless you use diamond grit. Sapphire is incredibly hard.

Reactions: Mowgli

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
MFS has them for $18.

Been on the fence about getting one. But for under $20 I went ahead and ordered one.
I just came in here to post that :toast:
I just got 2 more.
Don't forget to use your bonus points if you shopped there before.
I had $4.40 worth so I just got 2 Gear RTAs for $31.60 total (1 for a friend)

Last edited:
Reactions: tdman77

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I’ve had mine for about three weeks now. I agree that the af is tight - I have to take it off the mod to adjust, but I like it wide open so it’s no big deal. I’d say it’s a bit less airy than some but open enough for me.

I am not great at wicking, but have never had a leak. I’ve built/wicked it twice, both went alright.

And it is a smaller capacity, so even though I normally have been running three devices a day, I do use this most and fill it 2-3 times. Again, not a huge deal for me, but something to consider.

Mine came with the plastic bubble. I’m not a huge fan of that normally but it looks and works fine for me.

Mine is permanently paired with the gunmetal Colossal because in size and form they work very well together, and it’s a deep, glossy gunmetal that is quite close to a perfect color match.

And they’re $18 on MFS you say? Thanks for that. Going shopping!

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
$18 is a hell of a deal and made me buy a 2nd one. This tank is a bit funky, on my first 2 builds with Ni80 4 core fused clapton wire I was getting burnt taste at 40w on this after a half day each time, latest rebuild using ss316 4 core fused clapton this time and it is vaping great at 60w. Now in replay mode.

I was just going to ask what kind of coils people are using in this tank. I mostly drip/squonk dual coils or MTL a Kayfun so I am not sure what falls in between. Hoping a coil that runs around 30-50watts will work so I can use a smaller mod with it. Any recommendations would be grateful. Thanks

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Prebuilt clapton (from Recurve RDA) - Four 3mm wraps .23Ω @ 50W
Prebuilt alien clapton from Fastech - Four 3mm wraps .35Ω @ 45W
Koh Gen Do - "skins" removed and barely fluffed
short 2-3 second draws
Trinity Copa with the glass tips
10PG (flavoring) 3mg MAX VG 4%DW

I could chain vape till I pass out - wicking is awesome on this RTA
Copa on Gear on Boxers.jpg

Last edited:

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
Prebuilt clapton (from Recurve RDA) - Four 3mm wraps .23Ω @ 50W
Prebuilt alien clapton from Fastech - Four 3mm wraps .35Ω @ 45W
Koh Gen Do - "skins" removed and barely fluffed
short 2-3 second draws
Trinity Copa with the glass tips
10PG (flavoring) 3mg MAX VG 4%DW

I could chain vape till I pass out - wicking is awesome on this RTA
View attachment 799791

Thanks for the info

I normally run .2 - .3 ohm coils in dual so I got plenty of different types of coils I can use in this. Any spit back issues after a tank refill? It looks like the coil is very close to your mouth? Even my RDAs aren't that short.

elpresidente

Mar 28, 2009
Thanks for the info

I normally run .2 - .3 ohm coils in dual so I got plenty of different types of coils I can use in this. Any spit back issues after a tank refill? It looks like the coil is very close to your mouth? Even my RDAs aren't that short.

On my latest build I only got spitback during cotton break in, current build is .19 with a 5 wraps 3mm spaced.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Thanks for the info

No real spitback surprisingly enough. Don't overfill and the afc area stays dry.
I stack the first few puffs to get it warm before tooting it so that might effect it.
I like glass tip vs steel tip because glass stays cooler but it's not a rowdy build.

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
Got mine in today. A little nic sick from chain vaping since both my new tanks arrived today. :blink:
Wow, what a great flavor this tank produces. Running the coil that came with it spaced out and some Cotn thread @35w. Got it on my Aegis Mini and must say this is a perfect match. Mine came with a clear bubble glass not the plastic one. Flavor is much better than the Intake RTA which is the tank I judge all my RTAs against. Just hope the small capacity will last when I am out running around.

Attachments

• Gear & Lite.jpg
    Gear & Lite.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
E331D713-ADE2-44E0-9CAA-936E6635207B.jpeg
I was just going to ask what kind of coils people are using in this tank. I mostly drip/squonk dual coils or MTL a Kayfun so I am not sure what falls in between. Hoping a coil that runs around 30-50watts will work so I can use a smaller mod with it. Any recommendations would be grateful. Thanks

I have a gear at .20 ohms and I think 30 watts on a Colossal- I prefer low watts, I’m sure others would go higher. But to me, it’s the perfect pair. Pictured next to sx mini mi pod.

Gear is a small capacity and that may be a con to some, but I’m having really good results with it, and the smaller stature suits this little mod nicely.

Reactions: Mowgli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread