No Phlem But Tight Chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyDidge

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
New Jersey
So I started vaping about 3 weeks ago and I totally cold turkeyed analogs when I did. I smoked a pack of day of analogs for 6 years and never experienced anything other then phlem but cancer runs in my family so I figured I better stop so I starting vaping! I like it a lot the only thing is I feel my chest is tighter then when I smoked analogs. I don't have the phlem anymore (except a tiny bit that just won't come up) (and a little stuffiness in the nose) I guess I'm just wondering if this tightness is normal and will go away? I was really looking forward to having my lung capacity back like many have said they noticed.
Thanks!

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
It does get better. I found that high VG juices really caused me problem with that heavy chest feeling. Going to higher PG level cleared it up. Also now I do not chain vape like when I first quit and that has helped alot plus lower nic helps too. Try vaping different PG/VG ratios and low nic and see if it gets better. bnrk

Cowboy Cru

Moved On
Mar 24, 2012
Hey Bobby,
I am about 6 weeks in but noticed all the way til about 4 weeks or so that I had all kinds of issues, including tight chest and restricted breathing, mouth sores, pimples, and even a horrid sore throat and sinus issues. I was thinking what the hell, I felt way worse than smoking. However, it seemed like a few days after about 4 weeks it went away. I found out later that most if not all of my symptoms was my body getting rid of the toxins from smoking for 6 years myself. Make sure to drink a lot of water when vaping, this stuff will dry you out. Other than a possible allergy to PG, which yours doesn't sound like, I do not know yet of much else this can do to you. -Cru

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
It does go away. It comes and goes with certain juice also. Try a 5ml juice of some dark stuff. It does not agree with carto's very well, but the vape is nice and mellow most of the time, and the vapor production for me has seemed to multiply as well. I can say from my own exp that the fruity flavors cause a vape to be more harsh. I could be off all together but I like fruit flavors. However, it makes me want to cough my lungs out at times, and leaves me short of breath. If u DIY your juice, try adding less flavor.

zenoland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
Central Florida
VG causes that to me. I'm OK when I use 80/20 PG/VG juice, but when I first started with a 50/50 mix, I had the tightness and difficulty breathing which 40 years of smoking had never caused me. Other users are bothered by PG. You can tell the difference quickly, so experiment with all VG or all PG to figure out which one bothers you.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
PG does it to me. When I first tried vaping 3 years ago it built up over the month. When I recently decided to try VG and was cleaning things up the problems with PG were instant.

Now trying VG so far so good. Other than I'm having morning nicotine withdrawls giving me worse than normal "I feel like crap" panic and morning blahs.

BobbyDidge

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
New Jersey
So today I only used my 100% VG juice and went to the gym and jeeeezzz felt like I couldn't breathe like I smoked a pack of analogs right before I went! Well tomorrow I am gonna use my 100% PG juice and see if it makes a difference but da*n never even been that out of breath with analogs. :( I hope the ecig is healthy or healthier I should say...

Huuwap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
Idaho
www.huuwap.me
I had the same problem for about two weeks around a month in. Right on the tail end of it, I got bronchitis....LOL. I'm putting all of it, bronchitis included, down to withdrawal from the smoking habit and purging of crap from my system. I feel like a million bucks now, but that's to be expected after a week and a half of bronchitis.

valsey

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2012
Georgia
Hey Bobby,
I am about 6 weeks in but noticed all the way til about 4 weeks or so that I had all kinds of issues, including tight chest and restricted breathing, mouth sores, pimples, and even a horrid sore throat and sinus issues.

Interesting. I assumed my earache, fever, cold AND cold sore was just because I caught something from someone. I've been way to open to letting people try my e-cig...in fact - encouraging. Maybe I need to keep some alcohol wipes with me. Or let 'em get their own

BobbyDidge

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
New Jersey
I had the same problem for about two weeks around a month in. Right on the tail end of it, I got bronchitis....LOL. I'm putting all of it, bronchitis included, down to withdrawal from the smoking habit and purging of crap from my system. I feel like a million bucks now, but that's to be expected after a week and a half of bronchitis.

So you still vape and you feel a lot better now? Can you breathe better? Do you use pg or vg or mixed? How long till you realized you could breathe better or feel better?

Huuwap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
Idaho
www.huuwap.me
Oh yeah, I feel tons better. Most of my juices are 50/50, some are 70/30 and two are 100% VG. I got bronchitis right after I got a couple bottles of 100% VG and I was worried that was the cause at first, but it obviously wasn't, it was just paranoia.

Your body is screamin' like a demon right now, not knowing which way is up, you're probably going to feel like hell for a while longer. I still have my moments. But I can still tell every day that I'm feeling better than the day before. Cigarette withdrawal is no joke man.

Cloud Wizard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
Somewhere in PA on my Ultra Limited
mileage may vary, but I was 1.5PAD smoker for 33 years. respiratory therapist diagnosed me with COPD (72% lung capacity) and I was using an asthma inhaler 2-4 times a day (even before I would smoke - as stupid as that sounds, not my proudest moments in life...) I have not used an inhaler once since I started vaping...

Probably ought to be responsible and caveat my tale with an appropriate statement about being careful. Remember that even vaping can affect people with various allergies so be careful if you think your breathing is being compromised. I have had some phlegmy moments with a couple (out of dozens) of juices and am much happier with blends. I've had no problems with 80pg/20vg, 50pg/50vg or 30pg/70vg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread