No point using sub Ohm coils on a VW mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
It can't be temco the resistance per foot doesn't even match ( or didn't when I bought it). Some are close. I notice the exact same guages require different wrap amounts for same resistance in some builds. With temco on my one coil 5 wraps gives me exactly .8 took 6 with LV

If it really is temco wire they must be getting seconds as it even looks different to me.

I used the silica for ever now. On a whim I tossed some in my basket at fasttech, and was pleasantly surprised especially for the price.

Last edited:

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
@Thrasher
LIke I said you may have bought Nichrome and it doesnt match kanthal ohms/ft. You also have to look at weight in that gauge as well; even tho its 26-28ga etc they sometimes even with Temco have very slight weight differences and ohms/ft..

fasttech silica is decent, LV silica is heavenly lol. It will not shred or particulate like fasttech silica does after using for a while.. I actually use them together in all my builds as the fasttech silica brings out tobaccos and the LV silica brings out light fruity and dessert flavors. Used together is perfection... I was strictly SSMesh user because allergic to cotton, hated silica until I found LV's silica, most silica just didn't taste as good as SS mesh or cotton, well now its in the same ballpark but better no shorts ever.. One thing, only the 1mm silica the other sized silica's mute horribly, I have ran the gambit with silica purchases and are finally satisfied as are everyone who tries LV 1mm silica its great mõn..

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Reactions: DanJiblets

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've yet to buy a VW mod but i will be soon. However the outcome of this thread will dictate which one i go for.
Ive been looking at a few:

MVP 3 Pro (60w mod)
Itaste 50w mod
Coolfire 4 40w mod
Kanger Subbox Mini

For arguments sake lets say you have a 0.5ohm stock coil in an Isub G tank on the Istick 50w. You also have a 2ohm stock coil for it.
The mod is capable of supplying 50w to both the 0.5 ohm coil and the 2ohm coil. 50w is 50w right? So what, if any, is the benefit of putting a sub ohm coil in the VW mod?
The manufacturers market them as sub ohm mods, but why go sub ohm if the device is capable of the same wattage on a 1+ohm coil, the experience would be the same?

Which leads me to a similar question. Would any VW mod from say 30w capable to 60w capable basically give the exact same experience for the majority of users assuming the same tank is fitted?

I'm quite new to this but i hope my question is understandable
Thanks

1: yes, 50 watts is 50 watts
2: high powered coils are usually low ohm because they are made with thick wire, and/or they use multiple coils in parallel. 'sub ohm coil' has become a slang term that really means 'high power coil'
3: would any vw mod with the same power give the same vape:
yes; difference is for example
- the user interface
- some are fixed battery mods (a battery with electronics attached) which you use and recharge 300 times then discard; others are 18650 replaceable battery mods where you will probably end up with a small arsenal of 4 to 10 18650 batteries of varying ages, to power the mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread