No Vapor on Exhaling - Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judy

Dec 19, 2009
Ohio
Not consistant. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Received the 510 about 2 weeks ago after spending $120 on Smoke Everywhere the week before. Last Oct. I bought Smoke 51 which I find is the same thing. So that's over $200 for those two. The 510 was only $40 including shipping and I like it more.
But I'm still having trouble. When I exhale, there's no vapor. Where did it go? A guy at the mall got it going great for me. Did great from Friday until Tuesday. And I'm doing the same thing he did.
I fill the cart. with about 4 drops of 18mg juice. On the manual, I can hear it popping when inhaling. If I don't inhale, there's lots of vapor. Exhale, nothing. Not as much throat hit as I did those few days. And I cough when it's not producing vapor on exhaling. I've looked at a lot of posts, but don't see this problem mentioned. I have blown out the atty but nothing really comes out. And where do you put the juice in the atty?
On that wick or just around it? I've done both and get a mouth full of juice. If I don't get this going right, I will probably backslide to analogs. And I've been doing so good cutting down. But am very frustrated.
Just don't know why there's no vapor on exhaling.
Thanks for reading:)

Valhalla1

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
USA
bitvapes.com
if you're getting a mouth full of juice you probably have flooded the atty. take it off, blow hard through the battery end with a paper towel covering the other end. then while keeping it covered, shake it out like a thermometer to get that juice out

you said you filled the cart with 4 drops of juice. I don't use carts personally but I believe they are designed to hold more than that. maybe you were just topping it off and it was already mostly filled, I dont know. if you want to try dripping you can use a cart mouthpiece with no filler, just an empty blank and drip 2 drops straight onto the mesh bridge, pop the mouthpiece back on and vape away. don't use more than 2-3 drops and you won't flood it. drip some more when the flavor taste changes/gets harsh

as for the vapor production, what kind of juice are you using? this varies greatly. juice with more VG produces more vapor

Judy

Dec 19, 2009
Ohio
if you're getting a mouth full of juice you probably have flooded the atty. take it off, blow hard through the battery end with a paper towel covering the other end. then while keeping it covered, shake it out like a thermometer to get that juice out

you said you filled the cart with 4 drops of juice. I don't use carts personally but I believe they are designed to hold more than that. maybe you were just topping it off and it was already mostly filled, I dont know. if you want to try dripping you can use a cart mouthpiece with no filler, just an empty blank and drip 2 drops straight onto the mesh bridge, pop the mouthpiece back on and vape away. don't use more than 2-3 drops and you won't flood it. drip some more when the flavor taste changes/gets harsh

as for the vapor production, what kind of juice are you using? this varies greatly. juice with more VG produces more vapor

Thanks for your reply. I was putting drops on the "wick" on the atomizer and not down on the mesh. So that's better. I blew out the atomizer and that helped too. I will try the dripping. Does this last long so you don't have to keep filling it like the cart? You explained everything in easy terms. Thanks!

I'm using Marlboro 18mg PG. I ordered Marlboro 18mg VG on Monday. Haven't received it yet. I hope the VG isn't too mild. Is the VG safer than the PG since it's Vegetable?

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV (in a small cloud)
I'm curious how you were getting the drops on the wick beneath the bridge....

Atty bridge is the part that looks like wire mesh covering a little u bend. Coil is beneath that. Wick and bridge tend to be used interchangeably, probably because there is wicking material beneath the wire bridge that contacts the coil.

It does sound like it is flooded. When filling, you want the filler to look slushy, but the liquid shouldn't pool above the filler. I find a paperclip is handy for getting the air out of the filler and allowing the liquid to flow down if I overfill accidentally. Hope this helps.

Judy

Dec 19, 2009
Ohio
I'm curious how you were getting the drops on the wick beneath the bridge....

Atty bridge is the part that looks like wire mesh covering a little u bend. Coil is beneath that. Wick and bridge tend to be used interchangeably, probably because there is wicking material beneath the wire bridge that contacts the coil.

It does sound like it is flooded. When filling, you want the filler to look slushy, but the liquid shouldn't pool above the filler. I find a paperclip is handy for getting the air out of the filler and allowing the liquid to flow down if I overfill accidentally. Hope this helps.

I just tried to drop it on that gray thing in the atomizer that sticks up.
Guess I really don't know where to put the drops. LOL. Do you just let the drops drip down the side? Thanks for your tips. Gosh, this is a lot of work.:oops:

Valhalla1

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
USA
bitvapes.com
I just tried to drop it on that gray thing in the atomizer that sticks up.
Guess I really don't know where to put the drops. LOL. Do you just let the drops drip down the side? Thanks for your tips. Gosh, this is a lot of work.:oops:

I don't put them down the side, I let them drip straight onto the mesh bridge that sticks up in the middle of the atty. From there it gets wicked down under near the coil

there is a learning curve to vaping, but I don't think its 'too much' to learn. it seems like a lot of work but before you know it you'll be able to drip or top off your carts without even thinking about it.

I know you've already spent a lot of money on your devices, but if it still feels like too much work, you might want to check out cartomizers. They have 510 cartomizers now that will work with the 510 you already have. These combine the atty and cart into one pre-filled unit that you can discard (or refill) when its empty. This gets rid of all the work of dripping, cart filling, and atty cleaning

Valhalla1

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
USA
bitvapes.com
I'm using Marlboro 18mg PG. I ordered Marlboro 18mg VG on Monday. Haven't received it yet. I hope the VG isn't too mild. Is the VG safer than the PG since it's Vegetable?

I am not a chemist or doctor, but just as an educated guess I would say VG is no more or less safe than PG. PG has the arguably added benefit of being an aerosol disinfectant, and some say all-PG juice may have slightly better throat hit than all-VG, which is a bit smoother. VG definitely produces more vapor. However it is much thicker (viscous) and I find 100% vg juices clog my attys quicker

some people have allergic reactions to PG or VG. I've even read of a fellow who is allergic to both and must use PEG, yet another option. You can also mix PG or VG to various percentages to find a sweet spot for throat hit/viscosity/vapor production. some vendors like Tasty Vapor let you choose the % of VG added, or let it be all PG

really its a personal preference, unless you are forced into one or the other due to allergies. My opinion? I prefer PG, with about 10% VG for extra vapor production

Last edited:

Valhalla1

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
USA
bitvapes.com
also one final point about vapor on exhaling - how long do you hold the "hit" in ? I tend to use a pv like a cigarette, fill my mouth with vapor as I draw on the device, then inhale and bring it to my lungs, and exhale rather soon. I like to see the vapor dancing around me as I exhale, its part of the attraction vaping has for me

my girlfriend doesn't necessarily like it when I do that at her house, as I could easily fog up the whole dang room and she says it dries her eyes out and worries a bit about residual nicotine. She says 'aren't you wasting your nicotine by doing that'. I countered with the study that says 98% of the nic is absorbed before exhale. But who knows if that's really correct

Also when I'm out in public, I don't want to be billowing clouds of "smoke" in the non-smoking restaurant or airplane. I'd rather be discreet, and 'stealth vape'. This is done by taking smaller hits and holding it in your lungs as long as you can, and there will be no vapor visible when you exhale.

I noticed my father did this automatically when I first gave him a pv. He doesn't smoke analogs that way, but he tends to drag on a pv and hold it in, as if he were smoking some other unmentionable plant matter. So he doesn't exhale much vapor. I asked him why he vaped that way, when I tend to like to see the vapor on exhale, and he didn't really know why.

Judy

Dec 19, 2009
Ohio
I don't put them down the side, I let them drip straight onto the mesh bridge that sticks up in the middle of the atty. From there it gets wicked down under near the coil

there is a learning curve to vaping, but I don't think its 'too much' to learn. it seems like a lot of work but before you know it you'll be able to drip or top off your carts without even thinking about it.

I know you've already spent a lot of money on your devices, but if it still feels like too much work, you might want to check out cartomizers. They have 510 cartomizers now that will work with the 510 you already have. These combine the atty and cart into one pre-filled unit that you can discard (or refill) when its empty. This gets rid of all the work of dripping, cart filling, and atty cleaning

That's where I started putting it and got the juice in my mouth. Yuk. But will try it again. I just guess when to add it. I've read on this forum about the cartomizers. Will read up again on these. Thanks for the info.
Really helps.

Judy

Dec 19, 2009
Ohio
also one final point about vapor on exhaling - how long do you hold the "hit" in ? I tend to use a pv like a cigarette, fill my mouth with vapor as I draw on the device, then inhale and bring it to my lungs, and exhale rather soon. I like to see the vapor dancing around me as I exhale, its part of the attraction vaping has for me

my girlfriend doesn't necessarily like it when I do that at her house, as I could easily fog up the whole dang room and she says it dries her eyes out and worries a bit about residual nicotine. She says 'aren't you wasting your nicotine by doing that'. I countered with the study that says 98% of the nic is absorbed before exhale. But who knows if that's really correct

Also when I'm out in public, I don't want to be billowing clouds of "smoke" in the non-smoking restaurant or airplane. I'd rather be discreet, and 'stealth vape'. This is done by taking smaller hits and holding it in your lungs as long as you can, and there will be no vapor visible when you exhale.

I noticed my father did this automatically when I first gave him a pv. He doesn't smoke analogs that way, but he tends to drag on a pv and hold it in, as if he were smoking some other unmentionable plant matter. So he doesn't exhale much vapor. I asked him why he vaped that way, when I tend to like to see the vapor on exhale, and he didn't really know why.

I do it like you. Exactly. Yay! I seem to use the e-cig longer than analogs. I think it's because I can't tell when I'm done like with a regular analog. And takes longer to get "satisfied" too. I still smoke about 6 or 7 analogs a day, but I'm not "crazy" over wanting one. Mornings are the worse for me. I smoke half and then the other half later.
So glad you have your dad using a pv. I'm probably older than he is. I feel that vaping is still smoking so I can't say I'm not a smoker even when I quit the analogs. I'm taking this very slowly because I don't want to get discouraged and quit. Just wish it was FDA approved.
Will have to try your Dad's way. Going on a plane soon. (4 hr. flight).
But I will probably be okay with nothing. Says on Continental site "no e-cigarettes". And I do like vaping like you. More like smoking.

Judy

Dec 19, 2009
Ohio
I am not a chemist or doctor, but just as an educated guess I would say VG is no more or less safe than PG. PG has the arguably added benefit of being an aerosol disinfectant, and some say all-PG juice may have slightly better throat hit than all-VG, which is a bit smoother. VG definitely produces more vapor. However it is much thicker (viscous) and I find 100% vg juices clog my attys quicker

some people have allergic reactions to PG or VG. I've even read of a fellow who is allergic to both and must use PEG, yet another option. You can also mix PG or VG to various percentages to find a sweet spot for throat hit/viscosity/vapor production. some vendors like Tasty Vapor let you choose the % of VG added, or let it be all PG

really its a personal preference, unless you are forced into one or the other due to allergies. My opinion? I prefer PG, with about 10% VG for extra vapor production

Thanks for your information. I ordered a bottle of VG and PG. And it's good to know that I can mix the two. I've used only one of the two attys that came with my 510. I can maybe use 3 drops of PG and 1 or 2 of VG. Right? I still cough when I use the 510 the first time of the day. As the day goes by, no coughing. So maybe the VG will help that, but I know I will need the throat hit. Should get my order today. I also ordered the PCC. I also saw a charger that holds 5 batteries for $25. I'm always switching batteries in the one charger I have. I didn't order the multi-charger though. Might later.

SLoWPoKeSE

Mar 10, 2010
Texas
I'm not sure why blowing out smoke is so important to us but it is right? :p
My gf was having the same issue as you. She could take a big hit and blow out nothing then I'd grab hers take a hit and blow out a big cloud. I can't say it had anything to do with how long we were holding it in either. Maybe it has something to do with differences in our lungs? One thing that's made the difference for us is switching to higher voltage mods. If you want huge clouds of billowing smoke an HV mod is the way to go. I make them myself for us but there are plenty of vendors selling them in a myriad of shapes and sizes. It doesn't have to be a HV though...you'd see a big difference with a true 3.7v battery like you'd use in a Chuck or something.

Judy

Dec 19, 2009
Ohio
I'm not sure why blowing out smoke is so important to us but it is right? :p
My gf was having the same issue as you. She could take a big hit and blow out nothing then I'd grab hers take a hit and blow out a big cloud. I can't say it had anything to do with how long we were holding it in either. Maybe it has something to do with differences in our lungs? One thing that's made the difference for us is switching to higher voltage mods. If you want huge clouds of billowing smoke an HV mod is the way to go. I make them myself for us but there are plenty of vendors selling them in a myriad of shapes and sizes. It doesn't have to be a HV though...you'd see a big difference with a true 3.7v battery like you'd use in a Chuck or something.

Most of the time now I am getting the vapor on exhaling. Don't have any idea what I did. I find the manual batteries work the best. Only have two of those. Can I get a 3.7v battery for the 510. Is that the extended battery? Thanks for your help.

sanfordf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2010
Northern San Diego county
Long slow light draws should keep the juice out of the mouth tip. Don't hit it like it was a ..... The atomizer needs some time to vaporize the juice. Since it is not burnt .... smoke and is only steam vapor it will disappate easy. If you hold it in like some people smoke that other 'green' stuff, the vapor (steam) will disappear.

Judy

Dec 19, 2009
Ohio
Long slow light draws should keep the juice out of the mouth tip. Don't hit it like it was a ..... The atomizer needs some time to vaporize the juice. Since it is not burnt .... smoke and is only steam vapor it will disappate easy. If you hold it in like some people smoke that other 'green' stuff, the vapor (steam) will disappear.

Good point. I'll give that a try. Thanks. I really don't know how people hold the "green" stuff, but I know what you are referring to. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread