Noisy Cricket II-25 Regulated Amp Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBimus Rex

Aug 30, 2014
Virginia
Hello all. I have some questions about the NC II-25. I have it in regulated voltage mode right now, set to minimum voltage (2-3 volts) with an atty ohming out at 0.15. It vapes great, and since it's regulated I feel plenty safe vaping it as such. Another vaper expressed concern, however, that is a PWM mod and thus runs at 8.4 volts at all times. He says the mod only simulates lower voltage by adjusting the duty cycle, and that with my low ohm build the mod is pulling 56amps from my batteries. So my question is this: is the regulated mode true VV or pwm? Second, if it IS pwm, what voltage do you use to determine the amp draw on the batteries?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Yes the NC2 uses PWM to regulate the the voltage, this is standard for VV devices. The fact that the source voltage is 8.4 volts from two batteries in series doesn't factor into it as there is a regulator chip between them and the atomizer.

2v @ 0.15 ohms is 13 amps and 27 watts
3v @ 0.15 ohms is 20 amps and 60 watts

BOBimus Rex

Aug 30, 2014
Virginia
Yes the NC2 uses PWM to regulate the the voltage, this is standard for VV devices. The fact that the source voltage is 8.4 volts from two batteries in series doesn't factor into it as there is a regulator chip between them and the atomizer.

2v @ 0.15 ohms is 13 amps and 27 watts
3v @ 0.15 ohms is 20 amps and 60 watts

That's what I thought. Thank you.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
It uses a Potentiometer that adjusts the voltage. If you're going to be doing large/low ohm builds in VV/Series I really recommend getting a RDA built for series otherwise pop it in Parallel mode.. What a series RDA does is it has a neutral post, it basically turns your .15 build into a .3 build, you still experience the same vape but it gives you a little more room to play with the settings.

I have two NC 2-25's.

Last edited:

BOBimus Rex

Aug 30, 2014
Virginia
It uses a Potentiometer that adjusts the voltage. If you're going to be doing large/low ohm builds in VV/Series I really recommend getting a RDA built for series otherwise pop it in Parallel mode.. What a series RDA does is it has a neutral post, it basically turns your .15 build into a .3 build, you still experience the same vape but it gives you a little more room to play with the settings.

I have two NC 2-25's.
Also, if I were to put it in parallel mode it would give me even higher voltage than I have it at now (almost double since wismec claims the nc2 goes down to 2 colts at it's minimum regulated setting, how I'm using it now.) That would totally fry the cotton in this build.

Reactions: stols001

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona

I have two NC 2-25's.

Two .3 resistors (coils) in parallel = .15
Two .3 resistors (coils) in series = .6

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I'm not an electrician, but my understanding is the potentiometer tells the chips what pulse modulation to use. If the voltage was purely controlled by just a pot, then anything less than 8 volts would be wasted (lossy system). PWM works by time slicing the full voltage from the battery so that the sum averages out to the selected voltage (lossless).
I know the NC2 uses PWM because I can hear the tell-tale snake rattle when I fire it.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Also, if I were to put it in parallel mode it would give me even higher voltage than I have it at now (almost double since wismec claims the nc2 goes down to 2 colts at it's minimum regulated setting, how I'm using it now.) That would totally fry the cotton in this build.

Unregulated -
Series = double voltage
Parallel = double amp limit and mAh

If you are going to use the NC2 in unregulated series you will need to stay above 0.5 ohms. That 0.15 coil is going to turn your atomizer into a bonfire and your batteries may not be able to handle it either.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I know what a potentiometer is, did you read the rest of what I wrote? That's exactly why you wouldn't just use a variable resister alone, it would un-workably inefficient.
The NC2 doesn't need to be 'closer to a mech' because it already is a mech, and a regulated device.

Sorry about this @BOBimus Rex , I have not been able to find and detailed technical specs for the NC2 anywhere. But from my limited understanding, the load on the battery is the same on average as is delivered to the atomizer so it's not a continuous 56 amps.

I'm going to ask @Mooch for his input as he's the expert in these matters as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I know what a potentiometer is, did you read the rest of what I wrote? That's exactly why you wouldn't just use a variable resister alone, it would un-workably inefficient.
The NC2 doesn't need to be 'closer to a mech' because it already is a mech, and a regulated device.

Sorry about this @BOBimus Rex , I have not been able to find and detailed technical specs for the NC2 anywhere. But from my limited understanding, the load on the battery is the same on average as is delivered to the atomizer so it's not a continuous 56 amps.

I'm going to ask @Mooch for his input as he's the expert in these matters as far as I'm concerned.

Lots of the early VV's were done with just a pot. w/linear regulator and yes lots of wasted energy. PWM was a huge leap forward in VV mods.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread