Non EC user, I'm a Local activist needs your help - Legislation Alert - Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandySea

Feb 13, 2014
Muskegon, Mi
Hello ECF members,

My name is Randy Carroll, I'm not an E-cig user. I am however attempting to lead the fight against an ordinance in my county banning e-cigarettes and other tobacco products and stumbled across this forum in my research that I was putting together for a new short video I was making. The video isn't relevant at this point.

However, when I registered to post an update on the thread - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...n-ban-e-cigs-smoking-all-county-property.html - the forums redirected me and said I did not have permissions. I understand this policy, but this message is of urgent importance for awareness.

------------------------
Dear Fellow Muskegonite,

Since you are a member of this forum, I realize you must be aware of the smoking ban the county tried to pass back in November. Thanks to activists like yourselves, and a collection of other concerned citizens, we packed the room and forced the Commissioners to strike E-cigs off the language. They ended up scrambling to delay the vote on the rest of the ordinance for 90 days.

Well, that 90 days is up Tuesday, February 25th. At 4pm the Full Commission will vote to ban Smoking and Smokeless tobacco on all County owned properties, including county-leased buildings and parking lots. As you know, this also includes sitting in your car for a $100 fine the first time, and $500 ever consecutive offense.

i have talked to Sabo and Scolnik, both are still in favor of the ordinance and admit that it 'wont really be enforced'. We all know that will not be the case!

I know the 'e-cigs' are struck from the ordinance, which makes this post seem out of place in these forums dedicated to Vaporizers. However, 'informal' meetings have taken place outside of public view, and the person leading the charge to ban the E-Cigs in the first place is pushing hard to get them back on the ordinance.

They also are slapping an amendment onto the proposed ordinance to ban the sale of E-cigs to minors. This is a strawman amendment, which groups anyone against the whole ordinance into 'people who want children to smoke'.

Here is what you can do to help stop this insane ordinance from passing. Help protect ALL smokers rights!

Politicians HATE controversy. Especially local elected officials. The only thing a politician cares about is getting re-elected.
1) Email your Commissioner!
2) Call your commissioner! Every day if you have to. Tell them to stop these powergrabs, and remind them that you will do everything in your power to hold them accountable on this vote. Meaning not voting for them, volunteering for an opposing candidate, outreach to local groups / friends, whatever!
3)SHOW UP and SPEAK OUT on Tuesday, February 25th - 4pm @ Muskegon County Building.
It's not scary, and it has 100x more impact when we can pack a room. The commissioners took notice last time and backpeddled, lets make it standing-room only once again!
4) Encourage any group you have networked with to call / email their Commissioners! Friends, family, co-workers, bar-friends, any smoker you see on the street!

HERE is the link to the Commissioner's contact information - http://www.co.muskegon.mi.us/boardofcommissioners/board_contact_list.pdf

Let's make them regret listing their Private contact information.
Some further homework; Bob Scolnik is the leading Commissioner in favor of this ordinance, as he is the chair of the committee who brought it forward and voted NO to strike the e-cigs from the language, even though he admitted he didn't even know what they were or how they worked.

For your viewing pleasures, here is a video of me speaking out at the November Meeting and some of the Debate that followed. - Muskegon Commissioners Get Lectured about the Proposed Smoking ban. - YouTube

Every link needed for research is in the description of the video.

Thank you for your time reading this.

In Liberty,
Randy Carroll
West Michigan Activist.

Ps. I'll post my newest video once it is uploaded if anyone is interested.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Like that has stopped government officials from mandating laws before? Didn't OBAMACARE pass that way?:confused:
Obamacare was written in secret meetings, across the street from the White House, to avoid attendee's having to sign in and be on the public record. But it was passed in a public session of congress.

This situation is during a committee meeting and the topic of discussion may not have been on the Agenda. But the committee's "findings" will have to be produced to the Board during a public session. At that time there should be a discussion and proposals put on the table or shelved for further consideration. If the committee's findings are submitted to the board, but not made public, and the board acts on those findings without a public session, then you have legal recourse.

RandySea

Feb 13, 2014
Muskegon, Mi
Good points. I should have been more clear about the commission meeting. The 'informal meeting' refers to this article - Muskegon County Commissioners to look into feasibility of banning sale of e-cigarettes to minors | MLive.com - emphasis on the first paragraph "MUSKEGON, MI – Several Muskegon County Commissioners said they would support a new regulation that prohibits the sale of e-cigarettes to minors during an informal work session on Thursday, Jan. 16."

Also, the issue wasn't on the agenda. The only meeting that took place on the 16th was a public works Committee with no mention of this ordinance. Easy link here - Muskegon County Board of Commissioners

RandySea

Feb 13, 2014
Muskegon, Mi
Good points. I should have been more clear about the commission meeting. The 'informal meeting' refers to this article - Muskegon County Commissioners to look into feasibility of banning sale of e-cigarettes to minors | MLive.com - emphasis on the first paragraph "MUSKEGON, MI – Several Muskegon County Commissioners said they would support a new regulation that prohibits the sale of e-cigarettes to minors during an informal work session on Thursday, Jan. 16."

Also, the issue wasn't on the agenda. The only meeting that took place on the 16th was a public works Committee with no mention of this ordinance. Easy link here - Muskegon County Board of Commissioners

This quote should be the red flag 'During his presentation, Kraus said officials should include e-cigarettes in the amended ordinance because the electronic devices could be harmful, especially to pregnant women and their unborn children.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread