Non-smokers who vape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello E-cigarette Forum, newbie to the site and semi-newbie to vaping. First post and I have a pretty serious question.

Many say that vaping has saved their life by helping them quit cigarettes, but it seems as though many new vapers were never smokers to begin with. If you never smoked, why bother picking up vaping? It can become a bad habit and is not necessarily healthier than not vaping at all. I personally never smoked cigarettes. Tried em a few times but hated em. Considering such, I try to vape as little as possible because, as stated, it can become a habit. I vape mainly for my ADHD/ADD and also use it as a relaxant from my highly active lifestyle. When I cannot seems to care about anything, the nicotine can stimulate my mind a little and it also helps to relax after a long day.

What are the reasons you vape other than to quit smoking? Do you use just recreationally, or does it do something for you in a healthier way than taking something else?

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I have a few non-smoking friends who vape. One with very high strung personality vape to stay calm. :D Second one pick it up keep her mouth busy while trying to cut down on junk food.
With very low nicotine level, vaping isn't that different from coffee or soda. Main reason for negative view towards vaping is the association with analog.

Kryyptyk

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Austin, TX, USA
I personally don't have an issue with non-smokers taking up vaping as long as they're 18+.
Now I know that most of us started smoking younger than that, but that doesn't make it right. That may be hypocritical, but it's how I feel.
I'd much rather people vape than smoke. Contrary to what the ANTZ say, vaping isn't a gateway to smoking. So if people want to vape, let them vape. There's much more important issues to wrangle with. :)

anewkirk

Verified Member
Feb 19, 2014
Lexington,KY
I quit smoking 2 years ago, which was before I learned anything about vaping.

After a recent surgery left me bedridden for 6 - 12 (4 weeks so far) my nerves quickly started to come apart. I was on the verge of buying a carton of cigarettes when my wife gave me a Blu starter pack on Valentines Day. While I didn't exactly love the Blu, it did allow me to find the ECF and all of the great info here. I now have a vv 3 and am planning on picking up an MVP V2 soon for more battery capacity.

Vaping has eliminated my cigarette urge completely, and it tastes great to boot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I see how it can help both of your friends. Those are good reasons to vape and honestly, I think vaping is a lot safer than drinking soda lol. I do hate that association with "smoking" -.-. Hopefully people will start to catch on and get rid of those nasty looks on their face when they see a vaper. And thanks for the welcome!

TheAmazingDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
San Jose, California, United States
In my 30 years, I've been through maybe a handful of packs, and spent a couple years exploring hookahs.

As much as I like the nic buzz, smoking tobacco makes me sick. Literally. The last few times I smoked tobacco I actually vomited.

I've spent my life thus far dealing with untreated ADD. As a result, I've always found stimulants to help me focus (thus the caffeine machine aka Mr. Coffee at my work desk).

I enjoyed the act of smoking, but since I literally couldn't smoke cigs, I started smoking... herbs... to calm my nerves when my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer. This ended up being a way worse habit, for many reasons obviously, but nevertheless it had the added benefit of edging out my anxiety and depression.

Fast forward 12 years, and I started making big changes in life. I broke my addiction to junk foods, and dedicated myself to eating healthy and staying active. Lost a bunch of weight, dropped from 260 to 175. Kicked a bunch of bad habits and have been forcing myself to stay committed. The last bad habit to kick was smoking. I was up to about a quarter a week. Impossible.

So I tried out vaping with an eGo and an iClear 16. And I liked it. A lot.

It instantly replaced my pipes, being right at the desk and ready to fire as soon as my phone would start ringing and my anxiety would spike (usually a stupid question on the other end of the calls we get), or I'd be stressed out working on a client's terrible custom-coded ERP software, or any other myriad of stress-inducers that would normally have me reaching for some smoke.

If not for the chemical buzz, simply because I really enjoy smoking.

Wrapping it up, that is why I, a "non-smoker", became a vaper.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Something the anti vape brigade never mention is that there are new young people who pick up cigarettes and start every minute of the day. I'd rather they pick up a vaping device instead. Or as someone put so succinctly in media and news section, the new argument is that young vapers will become smokers, but other studies have proved time and again that while many will start vaping to quit smoking....there are very few who have stopped vaping in order to start smoking.

In my 30 years, I've been through maybe a handful of packs, and spent a couple years exploring hookahs.

As much as I like the nic buzz, smoking tobacco makes me sick. Literally. The last few times I smoked tobacco I actually vomited.

I've spent my life thus far dealing with untreated ADD. As a result, I've always found stimulants to help me focus (thus the caffeine machine aka Mr. Coffee at my work desk).

I enjoyed the act of smoking, but since I literally couldn't smoke cigs, I started smoking... herbs... to calm my nerves when my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer. This ended up being a way worse habit, for many reasons obviously, but nevertheless it had the added benefit of edging out my anxiety and depression.

Fast forward 12 years, and I started making big changes in life. I broke my addiction to junk foods, and dedicated myself to eating healthy and staying active. Lost a bunch of weight, dropped from 260 to 175. Kicked a bunch of bad habits and have been forcing myself to stay committed. The last bad habit to kick was smoking. I was up to about a quarter a week. Impossible.

So I tried out vaping with an eGo and an iClear 16. And I liked it. A lot.

It instantly replaced my pipes, being right at the desk and ready to fire as soon as my phone would start ringing and my anxiety would spike (usually a stupid question on the other end of the calls we get), or I'd be stressed out working on a client's terrible custom-coded ERP software, or any other myriad of stress-inducers that would normally have me reaching for some smoke.

If not for the chemical buzz, simply because I really enjoy smoking.

Wrapping it up, that is why I, a "non-smoker", became a vaper.

Great triumph story. I used to take ADD drugs (Adderall, Concerta) and it just totally killed my personality as well as my appetite. I was very underweight from eating roughly 1 MEAL PER DAY, and I just had to stop taking those pills. I took to smoking herbs for about 5 years and gained my weight back and then some lol. Since I was super active going to school and working full time as well as cycling every day for commuting and fitness and mountain biking half the week and playing tennis competitvely, I never thought of toking up to be a crutch; it only helped me greatly for many reasons. But things have changed and I stopped toking and took up vaping. And oh boy, vaping practically elminates my urge to enjoy some herb :). Think I've found the answer to my problems :thumb:

Gogata

Moved On
Mar 5, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
  • Deleted by retired1
Just to clear up any misconceptions about this thread, I fully support vaping over smoking anything else and fully understand the health benefits and drawbacks it has (I'll start another thread one day with scientific studies done by renowned institutes and scientists in the future). I just want to ask what the motives behind people that take up vaping are that never smoked because many people, especially younger ppl, start vaping to look cool and it's starting to become a trend with people that, bear with me, might not need it as much as they use it :ohmy:. I'm not completely against their choice to vape for fun, I just think it's not for everyone and shouldn't be abused so that the negative attention that vaping often receives starts to die down a lot quicker.

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
I've read a good bit on here and this is the first post I've read about someone using vaping as a sort of self medication. I happen to do the same thing. I began smoking cigs to "take the edge off". Quit for over a yr and felt very off the entire time. The first week or so I credited that to nic withdrawals but after over a yr and I thought about smoking every week I knew something else was going on. Eventually I went back to smokes and now to vaping. I refuse to take mood stabilizers. The FDA wants to warn about unknown dangers to vaping, how about the KNOWN dangers of Rx drugs... Anyways I truly believe I function better with my caffeine and nic.

DarkDays93

ECF Veteran
Non-smokers pick up vaping for a number of different reasons.. reduce stress levels, reduce eating habits, because it's cool.. ;)

Some people get worried because they see e-cigs as a 'gateway' into smoking analogs. Just like weed would be a 'gateway' to harder drugs.

Providing they're vaping 0mg juice then personally, I really don't see a problem with it.

Mousey

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
I tried a ton of NRT therapy to try and get myself off cigarettes, i'm a quite severe asthmatic, not a problem until an attack starts and then it very quickly spirals out of control if i don't get help quickly. Ended up getting hooked after working in pubs where smoking was allowed (also wasn't good for the asthma but i put my health on the line because i needed money) and all the passive smoke + nicotine from long shifts waiting smokey tables and wiping down tar smeared walls and floors eventually led me to start smoking.

Turns out i'm allergic to the vast majority of NRT, Patches turn my urine some seriously funky colours, Gum triggers an instant asthma attack (wasn't just a fluke, did it nearly 10 times!) and the inhalor things turned my face cherry red every time.

If people pick up vaping instead of smoking purely to start breathing clouds everywhere, it's not ideal since they might become hooked on the nicotine (unless they get nic free obviously) but at the very least it isn't going to guarantee a fatality and it's a lot easier to drop the habit when you don't have to base your entire life around it. I wouldn't say to encourage it but the more people that take up vaping (smoker or otherwise), the bigger the sample that scientists can collect health data from, and hopefully we can prove that vaping is not dangerous and save our e-cigs!

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
Hello E-cigarette Forum, newbie to the site and semi-newbie to vaping. First post and I have a pretty serious question.

Many say that vaping has saved their life by helping them quit cigarettes, but it seems as though many new vapers were never smokers to begin with. If you never smoked, why bother picking up vaping? It can become a bad habit and is not necessarily healthier than not vaping at all. I personally never smoked cigarettes. Tried em a few times but hated em. Considering such, I try to vape as little as possible because, as stated, it can become a habit. I vape mainly for my ADHD/ADD and also use it as a relaxant from my highly active lifestyle. When I cannot seems to care about anything, the nicotine can stimulate my mind a little and it also helps to relax after a long day.

What are the reasons you vape other than to quit smoking? Do you use just recreationally, or does it do something for you in a healthier way than taking something else?

Why are you lumping it in with tobacco as a bad habit? No smell. Minimal health risks. Fun. Nicotine optional. Stress reduction. I can see why those who have never smoked would take up this "Good Habit".

pacrat315

Mar 30, 2012
United States
I grew up around smokers and started myself in Jr. High but stopped after about a year. (Fast forward 30 some years during which I very rarely had a smoke, so maybe not a true non-smoker.) About two years ago I got together with some friends for a cigar night; I had never smoked one and wanted to give it a try. Man did I miss smoking... It was a great night but did I stink when I got home; made the wife not so happy. So I set out to find an alternative... And so began my vaping "hobby".

I never got hooked on smoking and can easily do without, but I do enjoy it. I'm one of those weird folks that, on a cold day, suck in as much air as they can just to blow out a cloud. I also like to tinker. Combine those and vaping came very naturally to me.

meatcarnival

Verified Member
May 14, 2013
New Haven, CT

My cousin in law is 20 and her friends and brothers all smoke about a pack a day. She doesnt want to smoke but feels pressured to. She asked about my setups and if they had no nicotine. Gave her a eGo battery, extra EVOD tank I had and a card for the vapor chef, along with a half hour tutorial how to charge, fill, and general battery safety. No smoking, no nic, no pressure. win win win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread