Noob needs to know, sub ohm'ing with mech..... what battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XII-19

Jan 15, 2014
Australia
Hello everyone, just some questions. Being new to sub ohm'ing im (haven't tried yet) just curious to what batteries i should be using when doing so in a mechanical mod. im not going any lower than 0.8 ohms resistance i think (for now)
so..

1. do i use protected batteries or non protected in the mech for sub ohm'ing?

2. Also would the sony VTC4 30A batteries be good in my case (or for maybe lower sub ohms for future references)?

If it helps i'll mention that i own a vamo v5, sigelei 19b, chi you clone, nemesis clone so please do tell me which batteries are appropriate for each device i have.

cheers lads.

liquidzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Florence, AZ, USA
Though I have never sub-ohm'd and don't own a mech myself (yet), I can tell you that those Sony batteries are one of the 3 or 4 that RiP Trippers recommended recently as the ONLY batteries he will use.

Well, the only ones he would use with a particular coil anyway. Not sure if it's the only ones period.

(I think that's the right video)

rawr

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Lower you go with the ohms, more Amps must battery be able to handle. You should definitely buy protected batteries, type IMR. Get some Sony/Sanyo with 30 Amps limit.

U = R * I -> i=u/r , means that with 0.5 ohm coil and voltage set up to 4 Volts equals 8 Amps.

I like to vape with coils from 1 ohm to 1.7 ohm and my standard li-ion batteries are good enough for that.

markrc

Jan 15, 2014
palmdale
mnke batteries are good too
Get that 20A punch instead of the 10A that you are getting from eFests and AWs. Not even Sony's US18650VTC3 can do 20A. They can only do 15A at the most - 30A max. This gets you a full 20A punch, 30A max continuous, and 60A (NOT A TYPO) maximum pulsed discharge! It is the same battery that the pros use during cloud competitions. I have done 0.3ohms dual microcoils on these puppies with no issues. It sounded like I was cooking popcorn!

Ask the same person who said that you should get a Sony, eFest, or AW if you should get these instead. Chances are he will ask you where you found them and get some themselves. Just tell them "the orange batteries". Yes - that includes your local shop. I supply some of the finest local vape shops with these batteries...

1500mAh. Not the best when it comes to battery longevity but you know you want this number low to make sure that it is a "High Drain". Although you can use it for VWs, remember that it will only last you half as long and since your VW will limit the output, you will not get the full potential of these batteries.

Here's the rest of the specs for the techies...

MNKE Rechargeable 18650 IMR 1500mAh Batteries
•Size: 18650 (18mm diameter / 650mm long)
•Type: Li-Mn02
•Rated Capacity: 1500mAh (High Drain)
•Nominal Voltage: 3.8V / Peak Voltage: 4.2V
•Rechargeable: Yes
•Protected: No
•Style: Flat Top / Color: Orange
•Maximum Continuous Discharging Current: 20A
•Maximum Rated Discharging Current: 30A
•Maximum Pulse Discharging Current: 60A
•Maximum Continuous Charging Current: 6.5A
•Nominal Voltage: 3.8V
•Maximum Charge Voltage: 4.2V
•Temperature Range/Discharge: -20~60degree
•Temperature Range/Charge: 0~45degree
•Temperature Range/Storage: -20~35 degree
•Internal Resistance at Shipping: 23 mΩ
•Weight: 40.5g

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I still just wonder why anyone is asking about sub ohm anymore when coil designs have made sub ohm vaping a thing of the past.

There was a time when we needed to stack batteries to get a good vape. There was also a time that sub ohm coils gave a better vape. Neither is true anymore.

<~~ that's with a 2 ohm coil!

Last edited:

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 19, 2013
    New York
    pbusardo (phil busardo) has great youtube videos for reviews also grimmgreen.

Please don't suggest GrimmGreen to anyone, classic example of a 5 year old vaper that's still a n00b.

Just look at this video:
    That damn AGA T3 (Language warning) - YouTube

For he record I know of a dozen people with this tank (me included) and it woks for all of us.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Hello everyone, just some questions. Being new to sub ohm'ing im (haven't tried yet) just curious to what batteries i should be using when doing so in a mechanical mod. im not going any lower than 0.8 ohms resistance i think (for now)
    so..

1. do i use protected batteries or non protected in the mech for sub ohm'ing?

2. Also would the sony VTC4 30A batteries be good in my case (or for maybe lower sub ohms for future references)?

If it helps i'll mention that i own a vamo v5, sigelei 19b, chi you clone, nemesis clone so please do tell me which batteries are appropriate for each device i have.

cheers lads.

Your batteries should never be made to output more than the continuous max amp current they are rated for. If you do draw more current from a battery it will start to heat up. Get it hot enough and it will vent hot gas which is nasty stuff and the venting process can be dangerous. Typically the higher the amp rating, the lower the miliamp hour (mAh) capacity which means less time between charges.

The batteries that are considered safe to vape on use IMR or hybrid, lithium ion chemistries. They are rarely protected. They are considered safe enough to not need that. Most batteries that are protected are ICR li-ion chemistry and are considered not suitable because if the protection fails they can explode if abused.

The Vamo has a 5A limit on it. The best battery for that IMO is the Pansonic NCR18650PF, 10A, 2900 mAh. There is also a PD version which is the second choice for me.

For the mechanical mods, I use Sony VTC4, 30A, 2100 mAh and love them. Lots of amps available and more mAh than any other 20 - 30 amp battery out there at this time. If I were to buy one battery type for both regulated mods and mechanical, this would be my choice.

Here's a chart of IMR or hybrid batteries that are considered safe for vaping on at higher amps. Here is a ohm's law calculator you can use to check the draw your batteries will see with different resistance coils. I always use 4.2 volts as this is what they will be off the charger.

Vape safe :thumb:

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Get that 20A punch instead of the 10A that you are getting from eFests and AWs. Not even Sony's US18650VTC3 can do 20A. They can only do 15A at the most - 30A max.

Posting false information is never a good way to start out as a new member in a forum.

eFests and AWs output a lot more than 10A. You just have to get the right model battery. The AW 18650, 1600 mAh is rated at an accurate 24A and does that for many charge cycles.

No one is talking about the old Sony VTC3. The VTC4 is the new kid on the block and puts my MNKE and VTC3's to shame in both less voltage drop (better hit in my mech mods) and time between charges (the extra mAh).

And a link to data supporting the 15A max claim for the VTC3's is in order too.

Last edited:

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2013
    Gabriola Island, Canada
    I still just wonder why anyone is asking about sub ohm anymore when coil designs have made sub ohm vaping a thing of the past.

There was a time when we needed to stack batteries to get a good vape. There was also a time that sub ohm coils gave a better vape. Neither is true anymore.

<~~ that's with a 2 ohm coil!

^ This. I'd caution you NOT to fall victim to the fashion of mechs and subohm'ing. It might seem cool or extreme, but a good 1.5 ohm microcoil with cotton will hit just as hard and is usable on any regulated device (for safety, consistency, and power control).

XII-19

Jan 15, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks ryedan for your efforts. After looking at the panasonic's you had mention i've also come along another set from the same manufacturers... they're the Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh. Just wondering how they compare to the NCR18650PF other than capacity as i am thinking between those two and the sanyo 2600mah. And all is good markrc, opens more paths for us all when corrected.

Last edited:

XII-19

Jan 15, 2014
    Australia
    oh yeah reason i ask between those batts is because im not sure what the discharge rate is for the NCR18650B but mentioned on fasttech forums they're 6.8A and im looking for another set of batteries that would work well in my vamo v5 too (understanding that is a regulated device with max amp draw of 5). is it too close for comfort or should i go straight to them 10A?

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    oh yeah reason i ask between those batts is because im not sure what the discharge rate is for the NCR18650B but mentioned on fasttech forums they're 6.8A and im looking for another set of batteries that would work well in my vamo v5 too (understanding that is a regulated device with max amp draw of 5). is it too close for comfort or should i go straight to them 10A?

I like to error on the side of caution, and try to never go beyond about 50% of a batts amp rating.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada

You're welcome XII-19. Personally I would err on the side of caution and go with the 2900 mAh, 10A, NCR18650PF for the Vamo. Yes the NCR18650B is 6.8A. I believe the amp limit will go down over time and many charge cycles with any battery and 6.8A is not much higher than 5A.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread