Noob on Day 4: question about storing juice, ordering and HEAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
Hello "new friends" :),

I am enjoying vaping very much, considering that I knew no one (that I knew of) that vaped before I started, and started just because it sounded quite "interesting". I assure you it has been.

As I am over 60 and seem to learn from some of my younger mistakes, I do try not to overbuy right away on a new hobby--I know you always get more knowledge as you progress and the "wow this is great!" items of your "youth" in the hobby become garage sale castaways sooner or later.

So I thought I'd take it easy on juice. I can see where a person could easily go nuts with all the flavors. But I started with equipment from a local A M A Z I N G shop and then picked 4 flavors I thought would suit me (was able to "try" all 4 there at the shop). I got a "tobacco" flavor, a "coffee" flavor and 2 different "melon-type" flavors, 18nic, 10 ml. 2 days later (after several posts to learn more in this forum) I went back and got 2 of the same flavors but in a 24nic. Now I am starting to read in the threads where people talk about other flavors etc.

Here is my question(s): my....(I've gotta come up with a better term than salesman, though that's what he is) "vape salesman" Elijah told me NEVER to leave the juice in my car (I am in Central TX, pretty dang hot here year round, 3/4 of the year *can be *24/7 AC. I mean you are lucky to ride your dog in the car as long as you plan on stopping NOWHERE to get out! Can't leave em even 5 minutes.) So anyway, Elijah told me to keep the juice out of the heat. I said, "uh what if I run in a store for 15 minutes and left it in the car" and he even says "I wouldn't".

So Question 1: will "heat" ruin the juice?
Question 2: should I refrigerate it for longer life?

Question 3: Last night I was looking here (thread on juices) and saw "Alice in Vapeland" and "Mt Baker Juice" and was tempted to order them. In the summer here in Austin I have to be quite careful what I order --even iced-down, overnight delivery dog vaccines can be all melted when they arrive :-( So question 3 is if I order juice it will obviously be in the "heat" while being shipped for 3-8 days or so...it will arrive, actually, WARM! Should I wait till winter (only a few months and we can get some nice cool weather)? Or will *that* heat "injure" the juice?

Thanks so much for any help here.

Notorious2again

Moved On
Aug 1, 2013
Austin, TX
Hello "new friends" :),

I am enjoying Vaping very much, considering that I knew no one (that I knew of) that vaped before I started, and started just because it sounded quite "interesting". I assure you it has been.

As I am over 60 and seem to learn from some of my younger mistakes, I do try not to overbuy right away on a new hobby--I know you always get more knowledge as you progress and the "wow this is great!" items of your "youth" in the hobby become garage sale castaways sooner or later.

So I thought I'd take it easy on juice. I can see where a person could easily go nuts with all the flavors. But I started with equipment from a local A M A Z I N G shop and then picked 4 flavors I thought would suit me (was able to "try" all 4 there at the shop). I got a "tobacco" flavor, a "coffee" flavor and 2 different "melon-type" flavors, 18nic, 10 ml. 2 days later (after several posts to learn more in this forum) I went back and got 2 of the same flavors but in a 24nic. Now I am starting to read in the threads where people talk about other flavors etc.

Here is my question(s): my....(I've gotta come up with a better term than salesman, though that's what he is) "vape salesman" Elijah told me NEVER to leave the juice in my car (I am in Central TX, pretty dang hot here year round, 3/4 of the year *can be *24/7 AC. I mean you are lucky to ride your dog in the car as long as you plan on stopping NOWHERE to get out! Can't leave em even 5 minutes.) So anyway, Elijah told me to keep the juice out of the heat. I said, "uh what if I run in a store for 15 minutes and left it in the car" and he even says "I wouldn't".

So Question 1: will "heat" ruin the juice?
Question 2: should I refrigerate it for longer life?

Question 3: Last night I was looking here (thread on juices) and saw "Alice in Vapeland" and "Mt Baker Juice" and was tempted to order them. In the summer here in Austin I have to be quite careful what I order --even iced-down, overnight delivery dog vaccines can be all melted when they arrive :-( So question 3 is if I order juice it will obviously be in the "heat" while being shipped for 3-8 days or so...it will arrive, actually, WARM! Should I wait till winter (only a few months and we can get some nice cool weather)? Or will *that* heat "injure" the juice?

Thanks so much for any help here.

Hi PhoenixD! Welcome to the world of vaping! I'm in the Austin area as well, so heat is a huge concern for me. I think the real issue is over-steeping the liquids. Steeping will develop and alter the flavor, just like steeping tea. I get deliveries in the mail all the time (just got 1 yesterday) and haven't had any issues with my juices leaking or being ruined. They are warm out of the mailbox, though!

Refrigeration isn't necessary at all. I store my juices in a cabinet at home, and room temperature doesn't seem to hurt them. I've got flavors that are 3 and 4 months old that are still tasty and vapable.

Now, some nicotine bases oxidize, so refrigeration can slow that process. It keeps the color of your liquids from changing, but from what I can tell oxidization doesn't alter the flavors in any way.

What local store did you shop at? I typically use All About Vapor in Round Rock (they've got an Airport Blvd location now as well), but yesterday visited Create-A-Cig on West Parmer. I wasn't impressed at all with their products, level or knowledge, or customer service.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Your juice will be fine in the car for a little while. Just don't leave it in direct sunlight or anything.

And, any bit of heat that it's exposed to in shipping will just help it steep and be ready for you to use when you receive it.

The only issues with juice and heat are:
1) Long term storage needs to be in a cool, dry place
2) When juice is warm, it will flow more quickly. So be aware of that when you go to use it or you might get a surprise.
3) Nicotine base is best stored in the freezer for long term storage.

Hello, fellow Texan. Nice to meet you.

Last edited:

Notorious2again

Moved On
Aug 1, 2013
Austin, TX
I know I'm not the op but thanks for the answers! Good info to have in Texas!!

I've also started paying attention to my tanks if I'm outdoors for any length of time. A lot of vapers in AZ were having issues going from an air-conditioned environment to the outdoor heat. This was causing their juice to heat rapidly and create pressure within the tank, resulting in heavy leaking. So I keep an eye on my equipment when I'm outdoors. Never had the issue that people were describing, but it's something to be aware of.

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
What local store did you shop at? I typically use All About Vapor in Round Rock (they've got an Airport Blvd location now as well), but yesterday visited Create-A-Cig on West Parmer. I wasn't impressed at all with their products, level or knowledge, or customer service.

Hello fellow Austinite, Notorious. I am a TOTAL NOOB (lol) with not even a friend who Vapes! I started reading this forum and looked online at some setups recommended etc. As I am now "over 60" (read: slower thinking, not near as handy as before, eyesight declining) I decided to try a local store where perhaps I could get some personalized service to get set up, taste a few juices etc. I stopped by one that I just knew the location, I think called Ion Vapes or something approx 183/Spicewood Springs. It was overwhelming to see the ...well it was a little store, tiny amount of stuff, 2 or 3 sets of shoppers, 1 "clerk". I just left. Went back to this forum. Still wanting to VAPE! Lol! So I googled "Austin Vape" and got a Yelp page and the one with the most good comments was "not all that far" (I am actually in Leander). It was, for me, totally amazing! Great big place, almost set up like a coffee shop with several tables, chairs, magazines on the tables. It had said on their website, "opens at 1030 am" so I made sure to get there at 1030 (not real excited by lines and crowds and being rushed when learning about something new). They had apparently opened the door somewhat earlier--there were already 2-3 groups of shoppers. But 2 groups left so I was 2nd. Got all the info I asked for, tasted 4 flavors, bought my first equipment. For me (been in sales most of my life) it was a great experience. I then went back 2 days later (was in the area so it was like noon, worried a bit about having to wait for a while) but there was a lull and I was 2nd again. Bought new equipment, had them look at one misbehaving cart from previous. Still quite awesome people. Apparently it only opened in May. OH and on the yelp reviews, one person said they went to that place in Round Rock (probably the same one you mention) and now will go to this one instead (near 183--but at the end of Anderson Lane where it hits Lamar):

It is called, I will try to put a link: Phoenix Vapor Shop
Yelp Reviews (none mine--and I do realize that anyone can write reviews, slanting them this way or that): Phoenix Vapor Shop - Crestview - Austin, TX

Thank you for the information about the heat. I didn't intend to leave my juice sitting in the car, but some things like cold groceries, you don't even want to leave for like 15 minutes, so I wanted to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread