The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Volunteer to help with beta testing!

We’re working on getting the site updates ready, but we’ll need your help to check the changes, make sure everything makes sense to you, and report any issues you see. If you'd like to volunteer to help with beta testing, click the link below. The first 20 people to respond to this thread will be added to the team!

View thread
    Dismiss Notice

Noob question about propylene glycol

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Clinton, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Clinton

Clinton Super Member ECF Veteran

Ok... I'm really anxious to do something DIY. I read in a thread that someone uses propylene glycol purchased from a tractor/farm supply store and it works fine for them. I called around and found a 1 gallon jug of it at our local farm supply store for $10.99. It says Contents: 100% Propylene Glycol USP. That sounds good.

What I don't like is, it says on the bottle 'For animal use only' and 'keep out of reach of children'. Now those two things made me nervous.

Now I'm fairly sure that this stuff will be perfectly fine to use. Fairly sure. So I figured I better come here and ask.. you folks think this is at least relatively safe to use for vaping? I mean, it's 100% USP, should be just fine.... right?

Thanks. Hoping for good news...

2. Traver

Traver Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 28, 2010
    WV
    If it says 100% propylene glycol it should be ok. You do have to sure that the content is 100%, not that propylene glycol in it is USP. In other words it may contain other ingredients and USP propylene glycol. I use propylene glycol from a farm supply. If anyone knows anything different I hope they chime in.

3. banjo

banjo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2010
    Rio Oso, CA
    A lot of posters here on ECF use this PG and have had no problems with it.

4. Clinton

Under contents it says 100% Propylene Glycol. On the front it says Propylene Glycol, USP. I figured it was ok but I thought I'd ask to be sure. Thank you! I'll check back if anyone has any other opinions/info on this please let me know! :)

I can't believe I found a gallon of this stuff, here in my little town, for $10.99! Ahhh yeah!

Edit -> I'm gonna turn in, I'll check back in the morning if anybody would like to add anything. Responses are as always greatly appreciated!

5. Hoosier

Hoosier Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Only thing to add it that price is half of what it goes for around here!

6. deback

deback Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 25, 2010
    Michigan

That will work fine and is what I've been using. However, it's $19.99 for a gallon at the TSC in my area.

7. metalrain

metalrain Full Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2009
    Yup...19.99 here to....I bought a gallon a year ago....i make my own liquid...looks like the gallon will last another 5 years, although i add 10 percent VG to the mix for alittle more vape action....its good stuff.

metalrain

8. four2109

four2109 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 9, 2009
    S. Indiana
    I bought a gallon from TSC last year. It had a chemical odor to it so I never used it.
    A pint from the pharmacy is only $11.00 and that lasts me 6 months.

9. Clinton

Awesome. Thanks so much people, I really appreciate the replies.

I also want to get some glycerin from one of our local pharmacies here to mix with it. We have a Walmart, a Rite-Aid, a Walgreens, and several other privately owned.. oh and there's a pharmacy in Safeway. I'm wondering where I can find the largest container for the cheapest price...

I'm also wondering what my mix should be. I know it all comes down to personal preference, but I'm looking for the best TH with the most vapor(isn't everybody :) )
    So what pharmacy should I check out, and what should my first mix be? 50/50, 80/20...?

I sure appreciate all the help, I would be completely lost without you folks here on the ECF.. thank you all so much!

10. deback

Sep 25, 2010
    Michigan
    Walmart probably has the best price for Glycerin at around $3.12 for a six-ounce bottle.

70/30 works for me.

11. Traver

Traver Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 28, 2010
    WV
    For me hit is a bit more important than smoke but I still want the smoke so I use a 70 pg 30 vg mix. Generally more pg gives more hit and higher vg level will give more smoke. But it will also depend on your carto battery combination. Start with small amount of the same mix that you buy so you have something to compare it with. Then go on from there.

12. Clinton

Cool. Thank folks. Now I just gotta figure out how much flavor to put in... for now I only have Butter Rum and raspberry (LorAnn). I don't know how much flavor to put in.. and do I need sweetener?

13. deback

Sep 25, 2010
    Michigan
    The quantity of flavor is a matter of choice. You'll have to experiment to find the percentage you prefer. Try 10%, then 15%, then 20%, etc.

You might download Breaktru's eJuice Me Up calculator, which will make it all easier and quicker for you to know how many mLs to add for each ingredient. His software also includes lots of recipes, which you can open to see percentages other people have used.

Also, you can read some of the recipe threads to see what other people are using.

14. Clinton

Thank you, deback. Yeah I've been digging around here on the forum and found a ton of useful information. I've downloaded an e-juice calculator, and have been checking out the recipes. It's all a little much for newbies like me however I think I'll do well when I get the proper equipment. Thanks again. :)

15. Jmitchelliv

Jmitchelliv Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I read a lot of people popping off at 20% flavor. If you're using Lorann's, I'd say 10% is a good place to start. In my experience, Lorann's is a little stronger than the other stuff I've briefly used.

Good luck! :)

16. salemgold

salemgold ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 5, 2010
    South Carolina
    This is a very simple calculator that I use. I think it is great for people just starting out that don't really want to do multi flavors to start. eJuice Recipe Calculator

17. Clinton

Awesome. Thanks folks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.