Noob Questions about Juuls

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertTheDirty

Jun 28, 2018
So i recently got a juul and ive gone through about 10 pods in a couple of days. I im tired of always buying pods and I have a few questions. I know nothing about juuls or sourins and my brother had an old sourin with some juice in it. Im not sure what kind of juice. Me being the person I am, and not wanting to go to the store, I refilled my pods with the juice from the sourin. My questions are: Does it work in general? Do I get a nicotine buzz? Is it bad for my juul? It keeps crackling pretty consistently, is that bad? and lastly, if anyone has any recommendations for strong juice thats equivalent if not better than normal juul juice. Im sorry im kind of a noob!

Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
If a liquid works in a pod system is more based on Pg/Vg ratio, too thick it won't wick well & likely cause dry, funky or burnt tastes.
Too thin, it may cause seeping or leaking.

Generally we don't vape for a 'nicotine buzz', if you do you'll quickly end up dissatisfied. Your body builds up resistance to the felt effect of nicotine rapidly.
Vaping including juul is tobacco harm reduction / a safer alternative to inhaling the byproducts created by burning/smoldering tobacco.
It isn't something to play with or a way to catch a buzz.

Crackling is fairly normal.

The liquid juul uses is nic salt base & considered very high mg/ml nic, finding equal nic mg/ml is doable, stronger fairly bad idea.

How many cigarettes or packs were you smoking per day before you started vaping?

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
So i recently got a juul and ive gone through about 10 pods in a couple of days. I im tired of always buying pods and I have a few questions. I know nothing about juuls or sourins and my brother had an old sourin with some juice in it. Im not sure what kind of juice. Me being the person I am, and not wanting to go to the store, I refilled my pods with the juice from the sourin. My questions are: Does it work in general? Do I get a nicotine buzz? Is it bad for my juul? It keeps crackling pretty consistently, is that bad? and lastly, if anyone has any recommendations for strong juice thats equivalent if not better than normal juul juice. Im sorry im kind of a noob!
you can refill your juul pods. You will want to use Nic salts eJuice. There is a very good YouTube on how to do it correctly. There is also other products made by different manufacturers designed to fit the jewel. Airbender is one of them and the juice is superb with awesome flavor. You will probably get some crackling if you refill your own from what I understand the most important part is getting all the air out of the cartridge. Also changing the cotton that's in the mouthpiece of the juul pod. Keep in mind that the juul pods are a very high Nic salt .5 I believe. So you will probably want to refill them with something equivalent to that. I know if I take five or six good tokes on a jewel I do get that Nick Buzz. As for the Soarin drop. I would use that if I had my choice.

• Agree

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
10 pods in a couple days? Sounds like your really working to get a nic overdose. Nic buzz is not a good reason to vape, and not what these devices are made for.

RobertTheDirty

Jun 28, 2018
If a liquid works in a pod system is more based on Pg/Vg ratio, too thick it won't wick well & likely cause dry, funky or burnt tastes.
Too thin, it may cause seeping or leaking.

Generally we don't vape for a 'nicotine buzz', if you do you'll quickly end up dissatisfied. Your body builds up resistance to the felt effect of nicotine rapidly.
Vaping including juul is tobacco harm reduction / a safer alternative to inhaling the byproducts created by burning/smoldering tobacco.
It isn't something to play with or a way to catch a buzz.

Crackling is fairly normal.

The liquid juul uses is nic salt base & considered very high mg/ml nic, finding equal nic mg/ml is doable, stronger fairly bad idea.

How many cigarettes or packs were you smoking per day before you started vaping?

I smoked around a pack and a half, sometimes more but I haven’t used nicotine or even drugs for that matter in 16 months. Last week I bought a juul and as much as I use it, I still get a decent buzz. Nothing major but especially in the mornings and after my classes. I appreciate the advice though, and maybe I should just do it for the flavor. Although isn’t that the point of the juul is high nicotine?

RobertTheDirty

Jun 28, 2018
you can refill your juul pods. You will want to use Nic salts eJuice. There is a very good YouTube on how to do it correctly. There is also other products made by different manufacturers designed to fit the jewel. Airbender is one of them and the juice is superb with awesome flavor. You will probably get some crackling if you refill your own from what I understand the most important part is getting all the air out of the cartridge. Also changing the cotton that's in the mouthpiece of the juul pod. Keep in mind that the juul pods are a very high Nic salt .5 I believe. So you will probably want to refill them with something equivalent to that. I know if I take five or six good tokes on a jewel I do get that Nick Buzz. As for the Soarin drop. I would use that if I had my choice.
My brothers sourin has a burnt coil or something and it doesn’t work so that was my last resort, although it’s nice to know I’m not alone when I say that I still get a mild buzz from my juul.

• Useful

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
So i recently got a juul and ive gone through about 10 pods in a couple of days. I im tired of always buying pods and I have a few questions. I know nothing about juuls..
10 pods in a couple of days?
Welcome to the world of extortionately costly vaping.
Ditch Juul and get on the normal planet. Thank goodness these products dont exist in Europe...

If you really want to use this stuff, then OK but hack a way to refill so you don't give them any more money than strictly necessary.
Personally I prefer the option of these products being illegal in the first place. Saves the grim realization you have been taken for a fool and your $s.

Bookworm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
USA
10 pods in a couple of days?
Welcome to the world of extortionately costly vaping.
Ditch Juul and get on the normal planet. Thank goodness these products dont exist in Europe...

If you really want to use this stuff, then OK but hack a way to refill so you don't give them any more money than strictly necessary.
Personally I prefer the option of these products being illegal in the first place. Saves the grim realization you have been taken for a fool and your $s.

I get that these aren’t your thing, but these type of products obviously work for a lot of people, and anything that gets people to switch to vaping instead of smoking is a win in my book. I definitely agree he might wanna refill these or switch to an open system if he’s going through the pods so quickly, but saying the products should be illegal in the first place seems a little much. A similar system just got me back to vaping as well (which surprised me!).

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I smoked around a pack and a half, sometimes more but I haven’t used nicotine or even drugs for that matter in 16 months. Last week I bought a juul and as much as I use it, I still get a decent buzz. Nothing major but especially in the mornings and after my classes. I appreciate the advice though, and maybe I should just do it for the flavor. Although isn’t that the point of the juul is high nicotine?

If you've been off nicotine 16 months prior, why in the wide world of sports would you want to overload your system with high consumption of nic.
Seriously, do you drink 12 cups of coffee or 6 energy drinks to feel the caffeine buzz?
Do you understand that has a detrimental effect on your body & overall health and might have long term effects.

The 'buzz' you feel is one of the first symptoms of ingesting too much nic, vaping isn't about catching a buzz.
Folks mis use common products of all varieties everyday, there is always a price to pay.

Like I said previously, the point of vaping whether juul or another method of vaping is used is as harm reduction / less harmful way to replace / replicate the use of tobacco products.

Less harmful, reduced risk when compared to inhaling the known toxins & carcinogens in tobacco smoke.

Most that vape as a pass time or flavor use 0 nic.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
This thread may be for you:

Pod Mods: Which One Are You Liking the Most?

Juuls are extortionately expensive, the pods can be refilled they are approximately 50 mg/ml of nic salts and yes, probably have a high PG content. You can refill Juul pods a certain amount but after a while the coil will die (as I understand it, I don't use pods and maybe it's not the coil but something else, but yes there is a limit on the number of refills you'll get.) You can check out the ECF approved vendors to find nic salt juice if you so desire. I think there is also a non proprietary pod for the Juul though and I think they're cheaper and last longer (sadly I don't remember what thread I read it on and etc..)

It is accurate to state that if you haven't smoked for a long time, you'll probably get a buzz. Heck, though *I* got a buzz from trying ONE hit of my son's Juul (I have done everything possible to get him off it including gifting him my first mech (protected) setup that he liked.

Thing is the Juuls are somewhat proprietary and IDK if the "buzz" was due to the super high nic content, or something else or that combined with something else. I WILL say, I took that hit, and thought "I am never trying THAT again."

The buzz doesn't last. Homeostasis means that your brain will adapt. Also, it will probably adapt more QUICKLY as a former smoker, to be honest. I quit smoking entirely while pregnant and nursing and when I returned to smoking that "buzz" feeling did not last.

Similarly I have a few high nic tanks now, to aid me in my quest to return to vaping only. The first couple hits were somewhat buzzy. After a day or so (although they're still useful in a pinch when craving a cigarette, as I DO still get more nic) I didn't find them buzzy at all.

The body and brain are self limiting systems, it's the reason for "tolerance" with many drugs. Your brain actively does NOT want you having too good a time and will start downregulating OTHER naturally occurring stuff, etc.

You can certainly continue with the Juul (or any other cheaper pod mod if you like them) but the magic of the Juul is unlikely to last.

Best of luck and etc.

Anna

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I get that these aren’t your thing, but these type of products obviously work for a lot of people, and anything that gets people to switch to vaping instead of smoking is a win in my book. I definitely agree he might wanna refill these or switch to an open system if he’s going through the pods so quickly, but saying the products should be illegal in the first place seems a little much. A similar system just got me back to vaping as well (which surprised me!).
I know. I just can't help myself. Of course, you are right.

Upinsmoke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2017
Suffolk UK
I see a lot of the umm err more mature ECFers deriding the pleasure of the nicotine buzz.
Here's a confessional.
Back in my dim distant youth having landed in a house full of degenerate wasters and been off cigarettes for about 9 months, I took to getting a nic buzz by ripping off the filter lighting the cigarette holding it like a chillum and direct to lung as much smoke as my lungs could hold.
The affect was not dissimilar to (Edited)
I'm guessing this is the appeal of Juul to the college crowd.
Needless to say within a matter of weeks I was back smoking normally. Not stopping again for 35 years.
Kids these days have better options.
Now I'm off to say 10 hail Mary's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I see a lot of the umm err more mature ECFers deriding the pleasure of the nicotine buzz.
Here's a confessional.
Back in my dim distant youth having landed in a house full of degenerate wasters and been off cigarettes for about 9 months, I took to getting a nic buzz by ripping off the filter lighting the cigarette holding it like a chillum and direct to lung as much smoke as my lungs could hold.
The affect was not dissimilar to (Edited)
I'm guessing this is the appeal of Juul to the college crowd.
Needless to say within a matter of weeks I was back smoking normally. Not stopping again for 35 years.
Kids these days have better options.
Now I'm off to say 10 hail Mary's.

IMO:
It was substance abuse then and it is still. (despite our justifications/participation):shock:;)
ECF is a bit conservative and the culture of the site is counter to "recreational" use by non smokers.
And yes... it is because most of the members here ARE actual adults and not 13 year old's pretending to be adults. (Thankfully)

YMMV
I

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
The Juul is wildly popular for a reason - it seems to satisfy the cigarette craving. I visit a trusted B&M and regularly talk to the owner. Obviously he has access to, and tried every manner and type of vaping product and he said he is absolutely hooked on the Juul and "wishes he could quit" using it. And he can't seem to keep enough of them in the store to satisfy customer demand.

Which is why I refuse to buy one.

How much you use a Juul will obviously differ from one person to the next, but it sounds like you may have also developed a dependency on the high-level nic of the Juul. As others have already stated - you may want to try a more economical "open" pod system that allows you to refill your pods with salt-based or WTA e-liquid.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It was substance abuse then and it is still. (despite our justifications/participation)

This is 100% true, and actually in certain circles, the substance that is most lethal of them all (alcohol cones close) but it is also said that giving up cigarettes is harder than any other substance (and I have quit quite a few). I'd agree on the later study/studies I have read. It is TOUGH.

If the juul is working it most certainly has more harm reduction effects than smoking, so if that's what's working, it is but I do believe those pods are pretty habit forming, expensive, and you are routinely using very high nic (which has its issues on it's own.)

I'm not suggesting throwing away the Juul or anything but I also believe it's possible to engage in harm reduction with vapes other than the Juul and if you don't prefer them the worst that will happen is, you will have another system as a backup (even if it's not your preferred vape. Just my humble opinion as always. :)

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to read a little about nicotine:
The Sweet Spot: How Much Nicotine do You Need/Want in Your Vape?
Freebase vs. Salt Nicotine: What's the difference?
Juices with Salts Thoughts?
You can buy e liquid with nic salts from many on line vendors:
Salt Nic Vape Juice | Nicotine Salt Based E-Liquids | Vape Wild (typ)

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Hello and welcome. I smoked for such a long time that the feeling was normal for me and I did not equate it to any type of real buzz. I am glad the Juul was not around when I first stopped because I just know I would have been going through a ton of pods daily as well. From what I have been reading and hearing from others it may be more difficult to reduce your nicotine levels --if that is your goal.

If it is not and you like the juul and the feeling you get and can afford it -- they get expensive - then keep using it. Sounds like you are in college and I know juul is the current in-thing with the college crowd.

You can check fasttech for some replacement pods to fill yourself or you can try to pry them apart and refill - there are some videos on youtube. Alternatively, you could use nic salt juice in a different type of setup if you are interested. Brother Bob posted all the great links.

As long as you are not smoking you going great!

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread