*Noob Squonker Alert* Questions of a new squonker

Status
Not open for further replies.

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
Hi folks, just picked up a cheap squonker a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying it quite a bit. but i have a few questions for the vets of bf, if these have been answered and my search-fu is weak i apologize in advance.

1) Is there a "break in" period for new squonkers where you get a better feel for when to squonk to avoid dry hits or is it more like dripping where you wet the wicks every 3-4 hits?

2) Have any of you noticed an acute increase in your juice consumption vs dripping or a tank?

3) Is there a consolidated list of good bf atties that can split clouds and flavor fairly well or is it more a figure it out yourself situation?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
1 Squonking is the same as dripping, In that you squonk when you need to drip. the difference between the two, is where the juice is stored and HOW the juice gets into the atty. Timing is pretty much the same.

2. No, If anything my consumption has gone down. Could have more to do with going mechanical with the squonker vs regulated on the tank.

3.There is no such list for BF atties. Nearly ANY dripper can be BF'd. There is no such list for any type of atty, too much OPINION involved.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
1 Squonking is the same as dripping, In that you squonk when you need to drip. the difference between the two, is where the juice is stored and HOW the juice gets into the atty. Timing is pretty much the same.

2. No, If anything my consumption has gone down. Could have more to do with going mechanical with the squonker vs regulated on the tank.

3.There is no such list for BF atties. Nearly ANY dripper can be BF'd. There is no such list for any type of atty, too much OPINION involved.

This is a very TRUE statement..........the gospel........

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
1. I squonk every 4-5 hits. I usually use shorter wicks, so it doesn't hold as much juice. I dripped about the same after 4-5 hits.

2. How much juice you go through is more dependent on your build. My dual coils at 0.5 ohms goes through about 6ml - 9ml a day on an easy vaping day.

3. So far, I feel my favorite RDAs are the smaller ones for more flavor. The Derringer is my favorite at the moment. But for traveling, I prefer a top airflow RDA like the Rogue. A bit less flavor, but really, really leak resistant. The Derringer can really pour the juice out if I'm not thinking and over-squonk.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
2. How much juice you go through is more dependent on your build. My dual coils at 0.5 ohms goes through about 6ml - 9ml a day on an easy vaping day.

#2 is going to be your experience may vary...
I use 6-10 ml per day in my Kayfun runing a singke 1.3-1.8 ohm coil Regulated to approx 9-11 watts, with a Kick'd Mech........ With the Squonker running a Hobo3 atty using the same OHM coils from the same wire running the same kick and battery I use 6-10ml per day.. I say I use less BFing, because I feel like with the squonker I am more often at the bottom of the scale and use closer to top end with the Kayfun. Could also be the fact that the Kayfun holds only 2.5ml of juice, more refilling just FEELS like more usage.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi folks, just picked up a cheap squonker a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying it quite a bit. but i have a few questions for the vets of bf, if these have been answered and my search-fu is weak i apologize in advance.

1) Is there a "break in" period for new squonkers where you get a better feel for when to squonk to avoid dry hits or is it more like dripping where you wet the wicks every 3-4 hits?

If you're used to top fed rdas, there is definitely a break in period, at least in my experience. The issue is bottom fed rdas don't leave juice in a juice well like top fed rdas do. I can drip enough juice into a Mutation X to last me 8-10 drags at 40 watts, which just doesn't work when squonking. You'll get used to it fast though :)

2) Have any of you noticed an acute increase in your juice consumption vs dripping or a tank?

No. That mostly depends on the power you're vaping at and the number of drags per hour you take.

3) Is there a consolidated list of good bf atties that can split clouds and flavor fairly well or is it more a figure it out yourself situation?

There is a list of bottom fed attys somewhere in the ReosMods sub-forum, but I don't have a link handy.

Hope that helps.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I think the frequency of squonk depends on how big a juice well you have. I have a Velocity RDA with the bottom feed pin that I've been playing with. I can load up the well and be set for a lot of hits. I'll start to notice a slightly burnt taste when I've drained the well and pulled a lot of the juice from the wick. However, I'm still learning how often I should squonk. I'm constantly pulling the top in order to check the juice level.

I might be going through a bit more juice, but nothing terribly noticeable. I DIY my juice, so I'm not terribly concerned if I go overboard squonking.

As far as atties, I think the A7 is a common BF atty. The Velocity is definitely another one. There are conversion kits for other atties, but when the conversion kit costs more than the RDA itself, I tend to pass. There are threads about modding your own. I tried with a Nemesis and failed miserably. But, I only spent $6 on the Nemesis, so it wasn't that terrible of a waste.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
You got mostly good answers already, so I'll just spend some of your money.
There's two folks here on ECF that mod atomizers for us squonk-folk.

Tom, from Catfish Atty Mods keeps up on the latest "hot" attys, buys them in bulk, does a TOP notch pro job converting them to BF, and sells them to us. Unless they suck - then he gives them away.
There's a half-price sale right now of some overstock, like a Hastur for under $30. Jump on it. Just go in the thread, ask BF atty questions, and ask how to order, etc.

Then there's Roscoe, at Apex - he bottom-feed clone attys. Similar in that he just wants to help squonkers get a good experience. He's got a website too - you can order a $45 Mini Velocity, or clone of the new flat-deck Pi2.

The two intentionally don't tread on each others' toes - if Tom's in the middle of selling an Authentic Thump or Stumpy, Roscoe won't mod the clones...

Have fun! Don't blame me when you're broke though...LOL

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
You got mostly good answers already, so I'll just spend some of your money.
There's two folks here on ECF that mod atomizers for us squonk-folk.

Tom, from Catfish Atty Mods keeps up on the latest "hot" attys, buys them in bulk, does a TOP notch pro job converting them to BF, and sells them to us. Unless they suck - then he gives them away.
There's a half-price sale right now of some overstock, like a Hastur for under $30. Jump on it. Just go in the thread, ask BF atty questions, and ask how to order, etc.

Then there's Roscoe, at Apex - he bottom-feed clone attys. Similar in that he just wants to help squonkers get a good experience. He's got a website too - you can order a $45 Mini Velocity, or clone of the new flat-deck Pi2.

The two intentionally don't tread on each others' toes - if Tom's in the middle of selling an Authentic Thump or Stumpy, Roscoe won't mod the clones...

Have fun! Don't blame me when you're broke though...LOL

Ha! I was just about to pull the trigger on a Dremel kit and press! Instead, I just bought a Dark Horse Mini from Roscoe!
Thanks!

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
well, i have a velocity clone on the way with the bf kit, hoping that the new atty will help with my resistance jumping. other than that all the advice is greatly appreciated. as an aside, if you are looking for a cheap and dirty regulated squonker the sbody s-ca3 isnt too terrible. just wish it was better with resistance than it is.

Reactions: phager

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
I didn't know you had the s-ca3 too - I saw resistances jump at first too - make sure the 4 tiny allen screws are tight and just tighten the atty till it wont wobble - if the atty is too tight I got jumping ohm readings but none lately. I like the supplied atty but my experience with BF atty's is limited.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
ohms jumping seems to be a bit better, still not stable, but better. loving that i can get more juice in the velocity. now just need to find a good dna40 squonker. having seen the reviews of the vf squonker, i will keep looking.
I bought a vf sqounk clone a few weeks ago,and liked it so much that i ordered another,so i now have 2 of them running side by side haha.I did see some really bad reviews on the authentic,but i haven't had any issues at all with either of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread