Noobie FRUSTRATED with Burnt-tasting Atty's! HELP! Been Smoking Analogs Too Much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, everyone! I have a Joye eGo, so am using 510 atty's. I have the two atty's it came with and also just recieved a LR atty from Mapvapes.

I've had the atty's do great, then suddenly have that horrible burnt taste. This has been happening pretty frequently--even with the new LR atty I just got. I've tried cleaning/blowing them out, cleaning them out with hot water, etc. Subsequently, I've been smoking analogs here and there when I get frustrated. Today I've already had 2 within 2 hours and ready for a 3rd!

I'm lucky enough to have The Vapor Lounge here in Spokane, WA and I think I'm gonna head down there and bring the 3 atty's with me so they can look at them. They've been awesome.

Maybe I'm overheating them--I don't know. I do love to vape and do it often! I do put it down if it gets too hot.

Am I doing something wrong or just having real bad luck with atty's? Help! I am bummed I've been smoking cigarettes! :grr:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
The 510 attys run hotter than I believe any other atty. I believe many of the tech types have posted on here that it only has about a 2.5 ohm resistence. I know I find that they easily get that "burnt" taste. Which means you need to keep them as "wet" as you possibly can.

Personally I prefer the 801/BE112 atty which runs cooler (about 3.0 ohms of resistence I believe I have read). But I use it on a 5 volt PV so I still get good throat hit without the burnt taste. But that is just me. The 510 has a legion of people who swear by it. I'm sure other long time 510 users can give you better advice than I can.

It sounds as though you are running them a little dry. This is especially easy to do on LR attys since they burn so much hotter......

Hmm....Well, I should add that I direct drip. I tend to flood here and there and, if anything, thought I added too much juice too often.

Sigh....not sure what's up. But it's certainly frustrating as I was doing SO well with not smoking. Still, I've smoked 3 1/2 packs of cigs in 2 weeks--which in itself is a miracle. But I actually thought I would never smoke again. But when the nic demon hits ya and you have atty's that taste like crap, ya reach for a smoke. At least, that's what I've been doing.

Thanks for your input, banjo. :)

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I direct drip but I found that LR attys and me werent a great match because I vape too fast - I have to drip about every 4 puffs to keep it from getting acrid tasting - with non LR (normal) 510 attys I drip less often (although still quite often just not every 2-4 puffs) and find it easier to keep that acrid (acrid = too dry) taste way.
When I use my eGo I use normal atties - I use normal atties with ALL my PV actually.
Maybe what you want is a higher voltage mod but same atty - if you vape as fast as I do though (and sounds like you might) you need to re-drip OFTEN. Never let the flavor start to fall off. As soon as it starts to get faint or the vapor production goes insane, (increased vapor is a sure sign your coil is drying out fast) re-drip.
My atties are ALWAYS hot unless I make a concious effort to pause they become volcanic - pausing is often hard because my instsinct is to keep pulling on my PV (and getting hot won't hurt your atty but getting volcanic can hurt your skin lol) - but a couple of seconds downtime is good for them too - Ive found it helps the flavor intensify too.

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
Once they taste burnt, they usually continue to tsate burnt. The only way I have found to remedy this is with a dry burn and flushing. Do a search for the dry burn method and be carefull cause you can easily destroy the atty.

Dripping has a bit of a learning curve. You have to find the perfect balance between too much and not enough liquid. When you are taking a drag and the vapor gets warmer and the flavor changes or disappears.... it's time to drip. It took me a month or so to truly perfect my dripping.

Nasty taste is usually means it is on the dry side. But i have bought some that tasted like:censored:. How i got that taste out was soaking them in PGA once i did that they dont taste like:censored: anymore. 91% isopropyl will work too but it tastes pretty bad first few hits, but it goes away pretty quick.

What's PGA?

Firefly13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Oklahoma, USA
www.blackvelvetjuice.com
You guys must be getting some bad attys, i use cartomizers 99% of the time, but when i use attys i just blow them out a few times to get rid of the primer, then start vapin but i don't inhale the first few puffs to get the atomizer to settle in a bit, if it's tasting straight up burnt then add 3 drops, then keep goin as usual and when the flavor wearing off and about to be burnt again then add another 2 drops, etc etc. It's not difficult to maintain LR attys, just need some good attention, but they're not even worth it to me i prefer to just fill up some cartomizers in the mornings and switch them out during the day without worrying about messing with the attys.

kgeiger002

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Tampa, FL
I had an atty that had that burnt taste also...I tried everything to get it out to no avail. What finally did the trick was removing the bridge and wick. It's not hard. Just need to be a little careful.

Note: this only will work for Direct dripping.

btw - I do this now with all my attys right from the get go.

Here's a video from phee303 which shows how to do it.
YouTube - Removing The Bridge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread