Normal Saline requires prescription in Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davinna

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Central Il, USA
I've been trying to buy some .9% Normal Saline solution here in Illinois and have been told twice by different pharmacists that it requires a prescription. I can go online and purchase it, but I can't got to a pharmacy and pick some up? This makes no sense to me :confused:

Anyone have any insight as to why this would be so regulated? We're talking salt water here...I just don't get it

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
I don't get it either. I asked at the pharmacy counter and they wouldn't tell me and looked at me suspiciously for even asking. I have a friend who is an EMT and also a pharmacy tech, and she just said "I don't know. It's stupid"

I found it online but only by the case. Funny thing is that the company I bought it from is in the next town over. So how are they allowed, or are they doing something illegal? So, I have an entire case that I will probably never use up and am thinking about re-selling the individual bottles on Amazon, but it may violate their selling terms.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Hmm... EMT's and the like everywhere normally just grab a bunch when they refill their supplies after a run. Sounds kinda bonkers to have a prescription for something that is universally given to injured folks without even a worry..

When in the field, my medics always Begged to "stick" soldiers for the training practice with saline.. It also was great for a quick instant internal cool down.. And I never had a problem ordering the stuff...

Davinna

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Central Il, USA
Another e-cig poster found, but this is what I bought for $12.99 (w/free shipping):

SALINE SOLUTION .9% 250ML IRR (EA), by Baxter Healthcare

I'm mixing at 4-5%, so it should last quite a long time. Thanks to the OP.

Hmm, I was just searching that site before posting and that one never showed up...odd. Thanks for sharing.

disco180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
New York
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread