not happy with protege ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.

star4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2009
I had my prodigy for about 6 month total. the fisrt week the resister burned out and the second week my switch melted and nearly cuaght my car seat on fire. I limped along with it and rigged a switch to use since i didn't want to send it back. The spring came loose from the bottom and the cap for it flew across the room one day. I haven't been able to find it since. Finally the threads became smooth and I could no longerscrew the adapter on.

I knew tht most of you haven't had trouble with yours but mine didn't work right from day one. I sent it back, (minus the bottom that I couldn't find and the switch that melted), and found that they will do NOTHING for me even though it was still under warranty. They said I crossthreaded the body even though I know that I didn't and that the other parts were missing so they wouldn't replace anything. I was offered a replacement at a cost of over 40 bucks plus shipping. :nah: What good is a warranty if they won't honor it?? I didn't beat the unit to death. it had normal wear. I wish I would have sent it back the first week and the one after that. They are aware the switches melted and the bottom spring came loose. I saw both of those problems listed in their forum. None of these problems were my fault.. So Puresmoker say what ever you like but a warranty is a warranty and you didn't offer to replace a thing. Maybe I should send a bill.

boochips

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Marianna, Florida
I had my prodigy for about 6 month total. the fisrt week the resister burned out and the second week my switch melted and nearly cuaght my car seat on fire. I limped along with it and rigged a switch to use since i didn't want to send it back. The spring came loose from the bottom and the cap for it flew across the room one day. I haven't been able to find it since. Finally the threads became smooth and I could no longerscrew the adapter on.

I knew tht most of you haven't had trouble with yours but mine didn't work right from day one. I sent it back, (minus the bottom that I couldn't find and the switch that melted), and found that they will do NOTHING for me even though it was still under warranty. They said I crossthreaded the body even though I know that I didn't and that the other parts were missing so they wouldn't replace anything. I was offered a replacement at a cost of over 40 bucks plus shipping. :nah: What good is a warranty if they won't honor it?? I didn't beat the unit to death. it had normal wear. I wish I would have sent it back the first week and the one after that. They are aware the switches melted and the bottom spring came loose. I saw both of those problems listed in their forum. None of these problems were my fault.. So Puresmoker say what ever you like but a warranty is a warranty and you didn't offer to replace a thing. Maybe I should send a bill.

I feel for ya....it's a story I keep hearing over and over again....sad, really sad...

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
Sorry to hear you had a bad first run but it can happen....look at Toyota.

But to make a mod to the unit, use it until threads are smooth and then not have all the parts to send back and expect a brand new unit is a bit much IMHO.

PS has had plenty of issues and those are dialog'd all over ECF but I've read and watched as each one was addressed to customer satisfaction.

HDBanger

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montrose, MN
Go to the Puresmoker subforum, have a look at my thread, I am getting the shaft as we speak, and I do NOT like it one bit. They have NO idea how to keep their loyal customers happy, I and several family members and untold amount of strangers we have told, all have been loyal puresmoker customers for a year now. Was with them before the move to TN. This is how we are treated peeps. Disposable customers, grab the cash and dash.

Last edited:

star4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2009
Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I did not make a mod to the unit and Normal use does not make threads become smooth. I am reasonable and didn't expect to get a totally new prodigy absolutely free but I was Offered NOTHING! They would not do a thing for me.. Now why in the world would I spend over 40 bucks for another unit that is nothing but trouble. PS is aware that the switches melt and that the springs come loose and cause the bottom to fly and they are aware of the thread problem because I noticed a new add-on in their warranty. Sorry PS I did not cross thread this. I do mechanical work everyday. If I had cross threaded it, I would have admitted it.

But to make a mod to the unit, use it until threads are smooth and then not have all the parts to send back and expect a brand new unit is a bit much IMHO.

PS has had plenty of issues and those are dialog'd all over ECF but I've read and watched as each one was addressed to customer satisfaction.[/QUOTE]

68stang

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2009
USA
I feel bad for everybody...seems like a lot of problems with this unit...why in the world wouldn't they STOP selling them until they figure it out? Somebody mentioned Toyota..ya they stopped selling cars until they figured it out no? As a businessman I couldn't imagine sending more units out until we got it strait. I want them to do well....and I think they should just take a deep breath and fix the units before sending them out....am I wrong ?

star4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2009
Can we even compare the 5 or 6 parts of this simple device with the hundreds of mechanical parts on a car?? Not even a close example. And when i did have a new car and took in in for items covered under my warranty they fixed it.. end of story.. and as the other write said "Quit selling them until you solve the problem"

BrockJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Don't know why I am being ignored.. My concerns are legitimate.. This is just not right

Steve has been out of town all weekend. As stated in another post.

We spent the weekend with Joanna's good friends Daughter - She has leukemia, so we were down at St. Jude's in Memphis while she underwent her Transplant yesterday. I wish it was a more joyous time. The only *idea* I had of what was going on was an email and a reported message about someone calling me a thief of some sorts :( I would have tried to logon sooner, but we were without internet access since Thursday evening.

I'm sure you can contact PS through the ticket system or wait a little bit and someone from PS will get with you and or reply to this posting.

Edited......

Just noticed this is not in the PS forum. Hard for them to see over here.

You may try PMing Steve or open a ticket @ their webiste.

If you can't return a complete unit and or have modded / chopped on it, I doubt it'll still be under warranty. If you had returned it when you first had a problem (you say in the first week) i'm sure they would have fixed, replaced or refunded the product. But 6 months later? Why wait 6 months if it had a problem the first week and you were unhappy?

They did have some problems with people shorting out switches and some switches going out, that's a fact but it wasn't returned to them for repair. Then you changed the original design of the unit by hacking a temporary switch in.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

dejo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2010
Tyler, Texas
I have a dse905 that I am really liking but was thinking I need something with a better reputation for durability, just in case and was looking at the prodigy and protege. but, dont think I will be purchasing either after finding these horror stories. maybe I should just get another 905 from mark at madvapes I bet he would honor the warranty on them at least.

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
This is all kinda strange to me. Granted, I only got my Protege a couple days ago, but so far I'm nothing but pleased. Yes, the threads are a little tight and it takes some coercion to get them to match up, but I figure after a few weeks they'll loosen up. I guess only time will tell, eh?

I've had my Protege since last September and still absolutely love it. The only time I had a problem was when the original tact switch died on New Years Eve. I ordered a mechanical switch and haven't had a single issue since.

For the threads, folks in the PureSmoker subforum have recommended using an anti-oxidant compound on the threads to prevent seizing and reducing the chances of cross threading. I'm using it and have noticed a big difference.

The brand I'm using is Noalox. I found it at Lowe's in the electrical section. Here's a link so you can see it. A little goes a long way.

Amazon.com: Noalox® Anti-oxidant Compound (4 Oz. Bottle): Electronics

flavapor

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
orlando fl
I am having the same issue with cross threading. In my opinion they were not machined properly. I have always had to be extremly careful when putting the cover on to not cross thread. It seems if so many are having such an issue, there is indeed a problem with either the product design, or at the very lease one of the "lots". My unit is 3 months old and they will not warrant this part of the unit, and told me I can purchase the part that I need to make it work again. Well I will not purchase anything from them ever again. They should do the right thing and fix these switch and threading problems since so many are having them. Toyota is fixing all brake pedals regardless of the cars age or condition if it was one of the recalled units, to not do so is just bad business. I will pay another company for a whole new unit before I ever do business with puresmoker again. They are obviously aware that its a problem since they posted how to avoid these issues on their site. The negative rep they get from just one thread like this should make it worth their while to do the right thing with the products they sell. Lets face it, if I bought a 2 dollar product I would expect a cheap peice of crap, but when you spend a hundred bucks you expect more than 3 months worth of use. Customer service of this company has not been what I would have expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread