Not Sure I Like the Fewer Sales Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimberlyM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2011
The Land of Confusion
This is in no way a slam against my favorite company. However, I really don't think I am a big fan of the fewer sales business model. I understand that that is the whole idea from Steve's point of view - this is a business. AND their goal is to make money, hopefully lots of it. However, when I look at my orders since this new practice went into place I see a decline. "Before", there was hardly a week that went by that I didn't place some order, usually spurred on by a sale. "Now", I have not placed an order in almost two weeks. I know I am only one "little" person and my experience may not be how everyone else feels, BUT...what if everyone is reacting the way I am - just waiting for another sale before they place an order. Either way it doesn't really matter - I am loyal to this company! I just wonder if anyone else feels the same as I do.

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
I just wonder if anyone else feels the same as I do.

Well, yes & no.

I did feel that the constant sales were getting a little OTT. To me it sort of devalued the original asking price of the products, made me wonder what the company's mark ups actually are, if they could constantly offer such sales.
Because I now have the mind-set that the products aren't actually worth the asking price, I very rarely would order if there isn't a decent (at least 35%) sale happening.

I too have noticed I haven't ordered for a week or so (but I had just about bought everything I could think of, just to take advantage of big sales). When a sale comes along, I will order again. If I start running low on something, I guess I'll order anyway.

Wheel sales in particular can be very tempting. I am more likely to buy stuff I don't really need if there's a good % sale on. Otherwise I'll just buy what I need, as I need it, I guess.

ShankUO

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2012
East Coast
I certainly do feel the same way. The ONLY reason I order from vapor for life is when they have sales. It's the only time for me that makes sense. I've been doing my research on other companies and though I have never ordered from anyone else, I see them selling fantastically reviewed juices/hardware at lower prices. Some even offer free shipping at their prices! Now I understand Vapor 4 Life has great CS, however a quick search on this site will reveal the same about other companies as well.

I've been in the automotive business for my entire life. My business has changed just like many. The profit margin on new automobiles is very thin. Many times after the salesperson is paid a commission the dealership is left with less than $100.00, but another happy customer is driving down the road. That's on a $30,000 car! We are relying on that customer to send their friends and families in for cars.

I have a hard time looking at for instance the "market price" of the ego kits. $100.00 for 2 ego batts, 5 mega carts and a slim charger?!?!?! That's insulting my intelligence! Even at $50.00 that's not any kind of deal. It doesn't even come in a nice box, have a carrying case, or come with a free bottle of juice. It comes thrown in a flimsy envelope.

Now with that said, It is THEIR business, and they will do as they see fit. I'm hoping they will adjust their prices if they expect to do less promotional sales.

Last edited:

KimberlyM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2011
The Land of Confusion
Oh no, oh no, I didn't start this thread as a bash V4L thread. I in no way assumed, thought, predicted, hoped or wished that this would be used to denigrate V4L. I actually think the prices are good here, I guess I am just greedy and wanted them at a sale price all the time like I had become used to. AND even if the prices were high, which they aren't, I would put up with it for the awesome customer service. (Let me tell you high - the company I started with is MUCH more expensive on EVERY single thing they sale.). All of my V4L friends, please know my allegiance to this company is strong!

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I know my orders have gone way down since there's been less sales. It's been almost a month since I've ordered! I was ordering a couple of times a week with all the great sales. Consequently, I got stocked up on what I needed. I am down to 3/4ths of a bottle of one of my favorite juices, USA NO 7, so I started a cart yesterday. Part of me is waiting though to place the order. I feel like I've been trained to wait for a great sale...

ShankUO

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2012
East Coast
I really don't think I'm bashing Vapor 4 Life. I feel as though I'm just stating some facts, along with some opinion. I'm not a "groupie" and I just say how I feel. Vapor 4 Life is my favorite/only company that I use. The only company I have used since putting down my last analog. I have enough stock to last a long time, so I'll just wait until they have another huge sale. I just wont order as frequent as usual. No real big loss for me. It's kinda like a game. Who will break first! :)

Kimmy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
I haven't ordered in about a month. Currently waiting for a big sale so I can stock up again. The constant sales did in a way devalue my conception of how much the products were actually worth. I got 10 boxes of blanks in a huge sale a while back for 50 bucks...how can I mentally accept paying 100 bucks now for something I once got for 50. I still have plenty of blanks, but am starting to run low on juices..I think I will make it, and I will wait. More sales+greater frequency, more likely to order when I don't need to.

Peeps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Smithville, Missouri, United States
I loved the sales too and for a long time it seemed they were almost daily. But as a business owner myself, I understand that with growth, there is a higher overhead. (bigger rent/space, more stock, more employees mean more wages and taxes, etc...) I'll still order my supplies from V4L. I just won't have as much laying around like I did before lol.:p

Last edited:

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I wonder if this new less-sales strategy has anything to do with VapeBash? Maybe they picked up lots of new customers from it and didn't want the newbies to get used to deep discounts? If lots of new customers are willing to pay regular prices for V4L items, why offer us "oldies" a sale? Just speculating. I could be all wrong....

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
This is in no way a slam against my favorite company. However, I really don't think I am a big fan of the fewer sales business model. I understand that that is the whole idea from Steve's point of view - this is a business. AND their goal is to make money, hopefully lots of it. However, when I look at my orders since this new practice went into place I see a decline. "Before", there was hardly a week that went by that I didn't place some order, usually spurred on by a sale. "Now", I have not placed an order in almost two weeks. I know I am only one "little" person and my experience may not be how everyone else feels, BUT...what if everyone is reacting the way I am - just waiting for another sale before they place an order. Either way it doesn't really matter - I am loyal to this company! I just wonder if anyone else feels the same as I do.

I feel the same way you do, Kimberly.

And it is NOT bashing when I or others take note of the fact that V4L's non-juice merchandise IS over-priced compared to other vendors (i.e., check out anodized aluminum drip tips -- !!).

Factor that in with the outrageous shipping fees, and yes, most of us will indeed be forced to wait for a good sale . . . :(

Peeps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Smithville, Missouri, United States
This was posted on V4L's Facebook page about an hour ago:

Well here it is! Today is 4/15/12, 4+15+12=31! So for the next 3 hours we are giving 31% off all purchases by using the promocode TAX31FB .. Well, what are you waiting for?

Hope it helps!

It was also on Twitter! I saved almost $80! Thanks, V4L

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
"We will be offering a special promotional discount to all of our loyal customers tonight, keep your eyes pealed so you don't miss out! :)"
Right - on Facebook & Twitter? Ummm, what about the rest of us? This sale wasn't advertised in our forum, the V4L forum or by email.

And here I was thinking I was a loyal customer...

:evil:

Last edited:

Via!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2012
Jacksonville FL
I PURPOSELY missed it! I purchased the stuff I NEED on my once-a-month payday (budget $200)...

since february, ive placed almost 20 orders at an average of $500 per month!!! This month...ive placed one order WITH V4L for $128...they didn't announce the sale for "loyal" customers on the forums where I spend most of my time...I guess I am not "loyal" enough...a friend who is on twitter notified me...but Sunday evening between 6 and 11 is "family time".

I am a little "miffed"...i am only ONE customer...but i know thru talking to many of you, your spending habits are like mine...you purchase what you need, and when a sale comes along, you make multiple "impulse" purchases...as an example, how many of you would be using an ego, if not for a SALE?? I "live on a limited income" Like many of you do....and there have been times when I've said "instead of buying that new pair of shoes that I wanted or get the hair color I desired...I will spend that $100 on the v4l sale".....and that's what I did...

My "average" savings from sales is approximately 30%...so, IF I had purchased everything regular price, I would have spent $1300...or $650 a month...if they are willing to lose a customer over $150 in sales...what can I say...

I've owned a business before...I know what mark ups are on electronics...if it were me, I would choose to keep a regular $500 a month customer...the $150 isn't that important...multiply that by the number of active customers...and you ARE talking a BIG LOSS IN REVENUE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread