Not the sort of news vaping needs right now ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Redd-

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
A Brit in the Land of Clogs
Or anytime for that matter.

A man was killed when a charging e-cigarette exploded and ignited oxygen equipment he is believed to have been using, Merseyside's fire service said.
The 62-year-old victim was found in the living room of a house in Penkett Road, Wallasey.
A small fire in the bedroom of the property had gone out before firefighters arrived, Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) said.
The exact cause of death is yet to be established, with an inquest now due.
Mixing warning An MFRS spokesman said: "The subsequent fire investigation identified that an e-cigarette that had been charging in the bedroom exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the occupier."
Myles Platt, MFRS area manager said: "The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette.
"We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged, and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.
"Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source."
Since January, nine fires involving e-cigarettes have been recorded on Merseyside.
Service representatives are speaking to people in the Wallasey area to give advice about the safe use of e-cigarettes following Tuesday's fire

Source: BBC.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Or anytime for that matter.

A man was killed when a charging e-cigarette exploded and ignited oxygen equipment he is believed to have been using, Merseyside's fire service said.
The 62-year-old victim was found in the living room of a house in Penkett Road, Wallasey.
A small fire in the bedroom of the property had gone out before firefighters arrived, Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) said.
The exact cause of death is yet to be established, with an inquest now due.
Mixing warning An MFRS spokesman said: "The subsequent fire investigation identified that an e-cigarette that had been charging in the bedroom exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the occupier."
Myles Platt, MFRS area manager said: "The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette.
"We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged, and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.
"Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source."

Since January, nine fires involving e-cigarettes have been recorded on Merseyside.
Service representatives are speaking to people in the Wallasey area to give advice about the safe use of e-cigarettes following Tuesday's fire

Source: BBC.

If they printed all that, it's not so much bad news for vaping, but good news to use the proper gear.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
If not sure it is a black eye on "vaping".

How many alcohol related deaths are there every year? Heck we just went through a mauling by pitbulls of a little girl.

Sadly this was an accident that could have been prevented. This is the case with any electronics, power equipment, or anything. The education by us vapers and by the public needs to be known. How many of use a weed eater or edger without safety glasses? I have been hit by a rock that shot out from underneath my lawn mower. Man that hurt for 2 weeks and swelled to the size of a softball.

The good thing is what the area manager stated.

How many of us charge overnight? Forget ecigs.. How about cell phones? How many of use use the supplied cables charging?

-Redd-

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
A Brit in the Land of Clogs
I don't see it as a bad article at all. It does say the wrong charger was being used, in close proximity to an oxygen collection unit. It gives states what he did wrong and how he should have done it.

It seems like a very unbiased report of the story.

I didn't say it was a bad article. It's just not the sort of thing you want to hear - anytime.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'd really like to know how they knew the wrong charger was being used for what device. I mean I've never seen a charger that has a label on it that says this is for ”X” brand of ecig.

An article I just read about this on the ctvnews.ca website claims there have been 9 ecig fires since 2013 in the area. Maybe their fire department is getting used to this and understand what to look for.

And we talk about sub-ohm vaping being bad for the community!

Last edited:

twizted

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Kentucky
An article I just read about this on the ctvnews.ca website claims there have been 9 ecig fires since 2013 in the area. Maybe their fire department is getting used to this and understand what to look for.

And we talk about sub-ohm vaping being bad for the community!
I understand that to a point. But, how can they say a usb charger for either a ego twist, vision spinner, or a fasttech knock-off goes to what battery is what I'm getting at.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I understand that to a point. But, how can they say a usb charger for either a ego twist, vision spinner, or a fasttech knock-off goes to what battery is what I'm getting at.

If your using a charger rated higher than the batteries capacity, it's an easy determination. Using an Ego charger on a 510 stick for instance.

twizted

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Kentucky
Take a vision spinner 1100 MaH battery, usb charger cord, & wall wart and toss them in a paper bag. Now throw in the exact same components from a fasttech knock-off. Give it a shake and then sort them out correctly. I just find it hard for the average Joe to say this wall wart goes to this battery or this usb cord goes with that wall wart.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Take a vision spinner 1100 MaH battery, usb charger cord, & wall wart and toss them in a paper bag. Now throw in the exact same components from a fasttech knock-off. Give it a shake and then sort them out correctly. I just find it hard for the average Joe to say this wall wart goes to this battery or this usb cord goes with that wall wart.

You are correct. You can't in that case. My grandfather used to keep his garden poisons next to grandma's homemade jams down in the cellar. The poisons had grandpa's drawing of skull and crossbones and POISON on them indicating us not to use. For this the end user needs to mark their cords. Pure and simple. Lack of personal responsibility is killing us. Everyone wants someone else to do it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread