Novice, please help with my coils!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
If this is in the wrong place please just let me know and I'll be happy to post it in the proper part of the forum.
I currently have on hand:
ss316 twist clapton (vandy vape premade wire)
ni80 braid (wotofo premade wire)
ss316 24 gauge regular wire

I have been messing with parallel helix's just for ....s and giggles, and to get a general idea of how building my coils reads as far as ohms/volts go. My issue currently is that I just have no idea how to properly get two coils with a low enough ohm load to get my mod to actually fire them above 60 watts.
The coil that is currently in my RTA is 5 wraps of the vandy twist clapton wire (28ga*2+30ga) around the 2mm coil jig, it reads at .56 ohms and 5.6-5.8 volts, however my wattage is set to 90 watts and when I punch those numbers into the steam engine ohms law calculator it simply doesn't add up.
What is my issue exactly? Am I doing something wrong? is my mod doing something wrong?
Please help!!!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I don’t understand the “how to properly get two coils with a low enough ohm load to get my mod to actually fire them above 60 watts.” And where are you getting 5.6 – 5.8 volts from?

There are many equations to Ohms Law, you need to choose the correct one.

If you are working with a regulated device set to 90 watts, then voltage is calculated based on your power setting and the resistance of your coil. The equation is Voltage = √Power x Resistance. So 90 watts with a 0.56 ohm coil would yield 7.10 volts.

With the Steam Engines Ohms Law Calculator, ensure both resistance and power are locked (highlight each resistance and power to the side of the calculator. Enter your resistance and power and the calculator will give you the voltage and current.

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
So then my main issue must simply be understanding how to wrap a suitable coil.
I currently don't have any power tools other than pneumatic so my only drill requires an air compressor and thats just extremely inconvenient, so I want to use the premade wires I have right now.
Can you possibly give me an idea of what people commonly do to achieve a high wattage dual coil build?

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
I don’t understand the “how to properly get two coils with a low enough ohm load to get my mod to actually fire them above 60 watts.” And where are you getting 5.6 – 5.8 volts from?

There are many equations to Ohms Law, you need to choose the correct one.

If you are working with a regulated device set to 90 watts, then voltage is calculated based on your power setting and the resistance of your coil. The equation is Voltage = √Power x Resistance. So 90 watts with a 0.56 ohm coil would yield 7.10 volts.

With the Steam Engines Ohms Law Calculator, ensure both resistance and power are locked (highlight each resistance and power to the side of the calculator. Enter your resistance and power and the calculator will give you the voltage and current.
I'm reading the voltage reading on the screen of my mod while firing, and the vapor production doesn't seem right for the wattage its at, although my experience is minimal and I could be wrong.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I'm reading the voltage reading on the screen of my mod while firing, and the vapor production doesn't seem right for the wattage its at, although my experience is minimal and I could be wrong.

I do not know why your device is reading 5.6 – 5.8 volts. If your coil resistance is 0.56 ohms, and your power is set to 90 watts, then voltage should be around 7.1 volts. What device are you using?

If you are not receiving adequate vapor production, then you power setting is too low. This is due to coil mass and not resistance. Higher the mass the more power is required to heat that coil. But before you go adjusting the power to crazy levels, what device and batteries are you using?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The Hohm Work are 20 amp batteries. With a regulated mod, they can handle up to 60 watts each while mitigating risk. We calculate this by multiplying the CDR of the battery by 3. If using more than 1 battery, multiply that by the amount of batteries. So 2x 20 amp batteries is good for up to 120 watts. Above that and you exceed the recommended CDR of the battery

How did you come up with 0.56 ohms for your coil? I entered your wire specs into Steam Engine and came up with 0.28 ohms per coil (5 wraps, 2mm ID)

If the Smok is displaying 5.8 volts, then it is not delivering 90 watts at 0.56 ohms. The numbers are not adding up.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Just to clarify... is your RTA single or dual coil(s)?
Others here have more experience with this but I have learned that fancy coils have a lot of mass and tend to heat up slowly and cool down slowly. BTW, the Ni80 should have lower resistance than SS (all other things being equal) Someone here recommended a different approach... rectangular Ni80 wire (I'll try to find the link)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Here the wire: Nichrome 80 Rectangle Resistance Wire - 0.9*0.3mm
http://www.kbeevapor.com/
@Punk In Drublic , I apologize for the mis-info. Thanks for the correction.

NP. But to add, resistance is just a factor of length and cross section of the wire. When dealing with wattage, it has no bearing. 50 watts will always be 50 watts, regardless of the coil resistance. The coils mass and Specific Heat Capacity dictates the amount of power needed to heat that coil to a desired temperature within a desired duration. The mass will also determine how long that heat is retained.

• Agree
Reactions: Kennneth

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
Just to clarify... is your RTA single or dual coil(s)?
Others here have more experience with this but I have learned that fancy coils have a lot of mass and tend to heat up slowly and cool down slowly. BTW, the Ni80 should have lower resistance than SS (all other things being equal) Someone here recommended a different approach... rectangular Ni80 wire (I'll try to find the link)
I am using the geekvape zeus with a single coil in it currently.
NP. But to add, resistance is just a factor of length and cross section of the wire. When dealing with wattage, it has no bearing. 50 watts will always be 50 watts, regardless of the coil resistance. The coils mass and Specific Heat Capacity dictates the amount of power needed to heat that coil to a desired temperature within a desired duration. The mass will also determine how long that heat is retained.
So that being said, if I just used temp control and went to a higher temperature with a lower wattage and a simple coil could I get better vapor production?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
So that being said, if I just used temp control and went to a higher temperature with a lower wattage and a simple coil could I get better vapor production?

No. Temperature control still relies on proper wattage to achieve your desired temperature. Temperature Control will try and maintain a desired temperature by reading the rise in resistance and modulating power. Little more complex than that but thats the simple version.

So single coil, 90 watts and you are not getting any vapor production? Again, something is not adding up.

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
I am getting vapor production but it is not anything like what I would want to vape on or expect to get from such a high wattage.
I also don't understand why my mod is reading 90 watts but putting out different numbers as far as voltage goes
I'm just telling you all of the info I can actually find on my stuff
No. Temperature control still relies on proper wattage to achieve your desired temperature. Temperature Control will try and maintain a desired temperature by reading the rise in resistance and modulating power. Little more complex than that but thats the simple version.

So single coil, 90 watts and you are not getting any vapor production? Again, something is not adding up.

Wick issues? Not enough juice getting to coil?
Also, 2mm ID coils seems small... have you tried 3mm?
I can try to clone what I did before but with a 3mm wrap, I'll go for two this time.
I have also been wondering how much wicking would affect vapor production as I definitely think my wicking jobs need some work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread