Status
Not open for further replies.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Although children in the study were most often poisoned from eating cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products in general, the researchers single out the new, dissolvable products -- especially Camel Orbs -- as a "major concern."

This article is full of the same scare tactics that are being used against vaping. IMO they're more worried because these are being marketed as a nicotine alternative. It seems a bit inconsistent since the FDA has approved the the commit lozenge, a candy-like NRT.

jaded

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
For some people, smokeless tobacco makes the difference between smoking and not. Tropical Bob did a great video on the products:

YouTube - TropBobB's Channel
I would think that the candy/strips and such would not be the same as smokeless tobacco as I wouldn't think it would have the MAOI's.

JoeD4

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Yeah, if they were SO concerned about our health they would ban cigs, chew, and alcohol. Then they'd ban cars, planes, trains and wrap us all in bubble wrap and lock us in an environmentally sealed room with no sharp edges or pointy objects and make us eat dinner with "nerf" silverware! I think it's all just a big steaming pile of excrement. Politicians don't give a rat's patoot about us unless it's related to money or re-election. Eff 'em all!

Devilooman

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Indian Trail, NC
Exactly when did we stop expecting parents to have ANY responsibility for their children? This is a problem with the adults that are using them... not the people that are making them. Where will it end? It is bad enough that the education system is blamed for everything now and children are not expected to LEARN. And yes... why is big pharm allowed to make theirs taste yummy and nobody else is? Did these people include any data on those?

I sooo wish I had had e-cigs or something else besides ciggies when my kids were growing up. They all smoke :( I do not blame the cigarette companies for this... it is my fault and I have to live with it. They all stole cigs from me when they were teenagers and I was not even aware of it until they grew up and told me about it.

Don't think any of them were stupid enough to eat them though as I did know enough not to feed them to them when they were babes.

RoKeM

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
Dallas, TX.
This is just dry packed snuff, that has been cured a special way to avoid the fermentation so you don’t have to spit, kind of like snus. It really isn't all that new but like e-cigs it has been targeted by the anti-tobacco nuts that think everyone is out to kill their kids. Truth is they just use their kids to push their opinions. I have tried this stuff and can tell you first hand, it is no tic-tac! lol. The truth is, we can’t agree with this kind of article on a tobacco product and upset when it’s the same crap that is done to our e-cigs. It’s a load of crap both ways and just another form of control that shouldn’t be allowed! Remember, all these products are 100% legal and no laws have been broken, yet there goes the media stirring the pot with no intention of licking the spoon! Again!

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
What's scary is that the anti's FUD propaganda is effective enough to persuade vapers.

Smoke = BAD

Tobacco & Nicotine = Not nearly as bad as smoke, and doesn't deserve the same treatment (persecution) as smoke.

There are a lot of things that adults do that children shouldn't do. Maybe we should ban adults from having sex. It would kill two birds with one stone - we wouldn't do something kids shouldn't do, thus luring them to do it - and after a while there would be no more kids to worry about corrupting with our adult activities.

Ciara

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Exactly when did we stop expecting parents to have ANY responsibility for their children? This is a problem with the adults that are using them... not the people that are making them. Where will it end? It is bad enough that the education system is blamed for everything now and children are not expected to LEARN. And yes... why is big pharm allowed to make theirs taste yummy and nobody else is? Did these people include any data on those?

I sooo wish I had had e-cigs or something else besides ciggies when my kids were growing up. They all smoke :( I do not blame the cigarette companies for this... it is my fault and I have to live with it. They all stole cigs from me when they were teenagers and I was not even aware of it until they grew up and told me about it.

Don't think any of them were stupid enough to eat them though as I did know enough not to feed them to them when they were babes.

Excellent and very well said! The gum'ment wants to be in everyone's back pocket, telling us what to do, what to think, how to think it, what to say, how to say it, what not to say, etc. They want to the primary role in the care and teaching of our children cuz, by golly, they can do it better! Our rights are being stripped from us more every day!

I used to steal cigs from my folks too. My now adult son did the same to me. He's a smoker now too :( and I'm trying to get him attached to vaping, but he doesn't seem to be taking to it for some reason. I will keep trying!

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I shook my head and laughed when I read the article. I dont think this idea is BAD btw (surely any safer alternative to burning tobacco is a good move) but it sure throws out the current arguements against ecigs.
It also makes me wonder why, in countries like the UK (my mother country) they dont allow harm reduction in smoking but harm reduction in driving is mandated by LAW - seatbelts. Lots of people drive badly and many have accidents, (through bad driving or bad luck) the seatbelt laws were put in place to reduce injuries (and I agree with them btw) but the alternative wasn't given as 'drive badly and die or drive better'.
I see no consistency among certain laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread