Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I went to Wal Mart and purchased a polyfil product called nufoam. It is very easy to cut to size and absorbs well. Im just wondering if anyone else has seen it or tried it.

First thing you want to know (well I'd want to know) is what is it made of? and perhaps it it been treated with fireproofing chemicals?

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Is that the compressed, layered poly-fil cushion material? I saw that at Walmart, too. It was interesting, because it had directional layers, which could be good for wicking properties. But it looks a bit unweldy to cut up for tiny carts and I figured once it was cut up and stuffed in the cart, it would be pretty much the same as poly-fil, so I didn't buy it.

Since you have some, pay attention to the layer direction when you put it in the cart. Have the layers run lengthwise (pointing from the mouth end to the atty) or it'll block the flow. Let us know how it works for you!

Kent, it's poly-fil that has been layered and compressed, rather than loose fluff.

3457118266_0806c80a59.jpg

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Is that the compressed, layered poly-fil cushion material? I saw that at Walmart, too. It was interesting, because it had directional layers, which could be good for wicking properties. But it looks a bit unweldy to cut up for tiny carts and I figured once it was cut up and stuffed in the cart, it would be pretty much the same as poly-fil, so I didn't buy it.

Since you have some, pay attention to the layer direction when you put it in the cart. Have the layers run lengthwise (pointing from the mouth end to the atty) or it'll block the flow. Let us know how it works for you!

Kent, it's poly-fil that has been layered and compressed, rather than loose fluff.

Thanks kristin. I know that some of the polyfil was 'fireproofed' and it is always a consideration. I really like the blue foam or the white foam blocks because of the texture of the surface - it's as if the 'ends' were 'cauterized' or something and makes them much less likely to catch the bridge mesh, etc. I have yet to have a foam plug pull out when removing a cart and with the vent straw mod I don't have to take out the foam to refill. I'm eventually changing all mine over - did another tonight on a oem filler in a 'two piece' 901 cart on a 510 that liked being on the bridge more than the cart well ;-)

This stuff might be good and the striations could help wicking. I'm still a believer in gravity over wicking but will give the 'candle or lantern wick effect' some credence, but only because of the heat, not from a direct 'dipping' - that waym no PET material 'absorbs' like that. imho

It's funny because I think I got my plug and straw (vent) idea from misunderstanding yours. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread