Nuclear battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Down South, USA.
Nuclear batteries were tried successfully for some period. Practical nuclear batteries use
plutonium (238Pu). It has a half-life of 87 years so the output degrades only by 11% in 10
years. However it is highly toxic and 1μg in the blood stream could be fatal. Early pacemakers
used metallic plutonium where as later ones used ceramic plutonium oxide. The plutonium
emits alpha particles, which impact upon the container and generate heat. Thermopiles of
dissimilar p- or n-doped bismuth telluride generate the electricity for the pacemaker circuits.
Though these nuclear power sources had very long life, they were large and created problems
when travelling between states and countries due to the presence of their radioactive fuel. They
also must be removed at the time of death and returned for proper disposal. Nuclear powered
pacemakers are no longer sold. but still a small number of implanted nuclear devices that
remain in use. Nuclear power sources became obsolete with the development of lithium batteries.
Also the long life is contributed to the low power requirements of the pacemaker.
If you know someone who has one of these and can leave it to you in their will, maybe you could try it. At this time I think the government keeps close tabs on all radioactive material.

Last edited:

macpanda

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2009
Geneva, IL
www.macpanda.com
I want one with about a three foot sqare solar panel! Not exactly portable but never needs charging!:D

There is a place by me that sells little solar panels for pretty cheap, could make you one :)

I thought about making a jantystick type ecig and just cover it with these little solar panels and leave it out in the sun, good for the beach and such... but then i thought about what would happen if the box and juice was left in the sun to long, would not be good i dont think :(

Vapinginjapan

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Except for the fact that it's peak charge rate is 80mA

As a source of slowly regenerating emergency power for an e-cig, I could see it working. However, I don't think solar is ever going to be more than a supplement with these cellphone charging devices.

h ttp://cgi.ebay.com/1-3x6-Evergreen-Solar-Cells-to-make-DIY-solar-panels_W0QQitemZ110380323013QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110380323013&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
(The space between the H and the T breaks the link, because of my 14 posts I can't post the full URL in it's unbroken form)
These would be a MUCH better bet, as they can pump out nearly 2 watts. However, you would need an interim battery, and a voltage transformer.

However, given that the average 2000mAH might last an esmoker a day, and these cells could charge said battery up in about 4-5 hours, this would allow for chain vaping whenever you're out in the sun, with juce to spare to charge the battery.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
There's a train station in Shibuya Japan that actually has piezoelectric stomppads at the entrance that power the ticketing machines.

Does it store the energy from the peak time stomping to help power the machines during non-peak times? That sounds like a really cool concept. Does it have backup power, like for when a stomppad gets damaged or needs maintenance? We could find even more things to add onto the Wii! We could power our e-cigs from the kids' dancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread