NYC bans ecigs indoors. The mind boggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
City Council To Vote On Indoor E-Cigarettes Ban « CBS New York

Key quote:

City Council Speaker Christine Quinn said the ban will make it easier to enforce the city’s
Smoke-Free Air Act, which banned smoking in bars, restaurants and other indoor public spaces.“Because many of the E-cigarettes are designed to look like cigarettes and be used just like them, they can lead to confusion or confrontation,” Quinn said.

They're not being banned for health reasons, but because someone might be upset.

So glad I moved out of that place!

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
So health concerns have no bearing on this ban. This is 100% I dont like something there for it should not be. What a shame how do people like this get a position of authority? But then again it is NYC the whole place is kind of screwy

Maybe they should pick up the garbage laying everywhere that would make a big improvement in the air quality! I guess what really bothers me is of all the things our legislators need to focus on why are they worrying about such trivial issues?

Last edited:

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Just read the article, and all I can think is what a bunch idiots. Fortyseven boneheads dictating to how many people? The city must now be so clean and crime free that the only remaining issue is banning ecigs. I'm glad I don't live there because I would just carry on with my ecig as usual, screw the ban.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
You have to wonder why this country is going down the tubes. We allow people to ban things because we don't like the looks of with no reason or rhyme. These people have way overstepped their boundaries and it will get worse.

Welcome to the Utopian States of America where everything is candy coated and the average citizen thinks like a 5-year old. The real problem is that nobody actually uses "reason" anymore, that's why nothing useful actually gets done anymore.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
The bigger worry is that now other cities will follow suit, as they now have a precedent, and this leeching into other areas, like smoking bans did. I never though apartment complexes would go smoke-free, but they did. I've read here some hotel chains have forbidden vaping, how long until landlords do?

This is going in a very bad direction. If this was a small city, it would be one thing, but "If it's good enough for NYC, it's good enough for us!" kind of thinking is everywhere.

Edit to add: This will be extended to public places. You know it will. Just like smoking.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
The bigger worry is that now other cities will follow suit, as they now have a precedent, and this leeching into other areas, like smoking bans did. I never though apartment complexes would go smoke-free, but they did. I've read here some hotel chains have forbidden vaping, how long until landlords do?

This is going in a very bad direction. If this was a small city, it would be one thing, but "If it's good enough for NYC, it's good enough for us!" kind of thinking is everywhere.

Edit to add: This will be extended to public places. You know it will. Just like smoking.

Yeah, that's why I said screw the ban, I'll vape anyway. How's a landlord supposed to know if I'm stealth vaping in an apartment? Are they going to bust down my door? Really? Fortunately, we're still allowed to keep and bear arms. :mad:

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
Yeah, that's why I said screw the ban, I'll vape anyway. How's a landlord supposed to know if I'm stealth vaping in an apartment? Are they going to bust down my door? Really? Fortunately, we're still allowed to keep and bear arms. :mad:

Not in NYC...they banned handguns, too.

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
Grrr...My university is mulling the same type of ban (zero smoking/vaping campus--including outdoors), based on the same "it LOOKS just like a cigarette" BS. Really? My PV's and all of yours here look NOTHING like cigarettes. Do these people even know what they're banning? Have they actually seen an "e-cig"?

Mini-rant, but yeah, it's not about our health, or even about "offending" others. We know the real reason. As goes NYC, let us not allow the rest of the country to follow!

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA

Yeah, unfortunately 2nd A does not exist in NYC. At least not for the little people...

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
Probably why the average NYC citizen needs like 5 locks on his/her front door.

I wasn't envisioning a handgun. You every seen what a bow and deer tips can do? :D

Thanks to a cousin who hunts, yes, I do! (And he hunts less than an hour from NYC...if those city dwellers only knew...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread